PDA

View Full Version : Is time correction worth-while on mid-to-high end units?

Minto Took
02-22-2007, 11:57 PM
Right now I'm looking to replace the stock headunit in a 2004 Chevy Cavalier. I've been shopping around Crutchfield and SoundDomain and I really like some of the HUs I see.

Now about my time correction question. I've seen that Alpine, Eclipse, and Pioneer all have HUs with time correction functionality whereas Clarion and Kenwood have none (or I can't find them :p: ). This car has a Double-DIN slot and I feel obliged to take advantage of it and both Clarion and Kenwood have DD units that aren't crazy old like Pioneer's. I know there are LCD touchscreen units that are DD, but I really can't afford one right now.

I'm coming from an Alpine 9831 so I've used time correction and I really liked it in my old car (Olds 88). But looking at a lot of what I assume to be high dollar units, time correction sometimes isn't included.

Am I overrating Clarion and Kenwood as mid-to-higher end brands?

docutech
02-23-2007, 12:00 AM
Love it on my 9855. It gives it a 'truer' sound stage and makes directional transitions smoother.

squeak9798
02-23-2007, 12:00 AM
Time correction will really help with imaging, soundstaging and overall coherency if you have your speakers located in relatively non-optimal locations (like doors).

If you won't miss the imaging/soundstaging, then don't worry about it.

If you will miss the improved imaging/soundstaging, I would either look to build kickpanels or advise you look for a deck with time alignment.

phyphoestilic
02-23-2007, 12:01 AM
Time Alignment FTMFW

Minto Took
02-23-2007, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the responses. I'm 90% positive that I'll keep time alignment a requirement since my Front-Driver side speaker is easily some 30-50 degrees out of phase.

explorer2
02-23-2007, 12:09 AM
Kenwood had time alignment, I know that my x889 has it. They do call it time correction or something like that instead.

Minto Took
02-23-2007, 12:26 AM
Kenwood had time alignment, I know that my x889 has it. They do call it time correction or something like that instead.

Does "Sound Management System" sound familiar?

Kevinch
02-23-2007, 01:06 PM
Now about my time correction question. I've seen that Alpine, Eclipse, and Pioneer all have HUs with time correction functionality whereas Clarion and Kenwood have none (or I can't find them :p: ).

Either I'm confused or you are! What new Alpine unit has time correction? I know the $1600 9965 (2006 model) did, & I think it was the only one.

And the Clarion DXZ775USB has it ($400MSRP), along with the DRZ9255 ($1,400MSRP)

Prowler573
02-23-2007, 01:12 PM
Correct. My XXV-01D has it as well.

Does "Sound Management System" sound familiar?
Sound Management System is the term Kenwood uses to specify the menu that encompass several different adjustments.
I think their actual name for it is DTA or Digital Time Alignment.
See here (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-sADIqLobZXE/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&tab=detailed_info&i=113XXV01D#Tab) for the page detailing it for the 25th Anny HU.

///M5
02-23-2007, 01:24 PM
Good install >> time alignment; however, as with everything in life there are compromises and I chose the compromise and use a bit of t/a.

Radridd
02-23-2007, 08:50 PM
Time alignment feature is only good for one listening position in a vehicle. When changed to optimize for the driver position, the passenger position suffers. So it really is a trade off. But if your selfish like me, who cares if the passenger gets great imaging? :laugh: My wife doesn't seem to notice. LOL

Minto Took
02-23-2007, 09:03 PM
Time alignment feature is only good for one listening position in a vehicle. When changed to optimize for the driver position, the passenger position suffers. So it really is a trade off. But if your selfish like me, who cares if the passenger gets great imaging? :laugh: My wife doesn't seem to notice. LOL

Yeah, I could care less about anyone else in the car. :suave:

It's being an electrical engineer and my obsessive-compulsive tendencies that bother me of even the *thought* that the sound is out of phase. I had initially figured that if a high-end headunit lacked time correction, the engineers pulled off some crazy voodoo with the I^2/R laws and such to make the sound reach the listener in phase.

headless
02-23-2007, 09:11 PM
Time alignment is absolutely awesome. After having it, i could never go back to not having it. Both my mp3 player AND my deck have it, thankfully..so i could replace either one and still have that functionality :D Also have PEQ on both mp3 player and deck...it's nice having a bit of redundancy. Wish my mp3 player had crossovers...

squeak9798
02-23-2007, 09:45 PM
Either I'm confused or you are! What new Alpine unit has time correction? I know the $1600 9965 (2006 model) did, & I think it was the only one.

Alpine has had numerous headunits that offered time alignment.

From the new offerings the ability is rather scarce.

But the 9813/9815/9833/9835/9853/9855 all have it.