PDA

View Full Version : Cdt Cl-61a

Pl8er
02-22-2007, 10:39 AM
I have a pair of these and they work pretty good but are a little quiet to me. I can bridge the amp to run about 150rms to them, has anyone done this? I've asked this in the past and was told that I could if I watched my gains.

My question is who has a pair of these or has had and what was the power handling you found that they liked? My signal is very clean and clipping will not be an issue.

Thanks!

skadude016
02-22-2007, 10:43 AM
im intrested in this too I have the same speakers coming soon and with the same power

Johnny Drama
02-22-2007, 10:55 AM
I had a pair of these that I ran on 45 watts and they sounded decent. I jumped that to 90 watts and noticed that they were much cleaner and handled the power fine.

After that I put 150 per side and noticed that the crossover network would cause the speakers to cut off. I am guessing that they have some sort of thermal protection built into the crossover. When I asked CDT about it they said clipping will shut the crossovers down.

I know I wasnt clipping them so the heat is the only thing I can think of. With that said, they didnt really like 150 per side.

You can try it, the speakers that I had are currently in a friends car still getting 100 watts per side. Play fine and sound fine.

Pl8er
02-22-2007, 12:08 PM
Sounds like I should steer clear of the 150rms mark then. I'll just wait till spring/summer and upgrade them altogether.

Thanks for the info!

Johnny Drama
02-22-2007, 02:28 PM
Umm...

Have you read the rules for this forum?

I think you didnt, or you "forgot"

Looks like I get to swing the ban hammer.

djdilliodon
02-22-2007, 02:35 PM
The xover indeed has a tweeter protection and when running more than 100w rms per side most of the time you will set it off. I would really run more than 100 per side on that set as those drivers wont take it well especially with a low xover point. If your just looking to do it for added headroom get yourself a pair of 560 xovers to avoid driving them into protection.

preunnerv6
02-22-2007, 02:58 PM
djdilliodon beat me to it.

I have the CDT CL-61a's and used to have power handling problems. I upgraded to the Sat-560 about 3 years ago when CDT was running a $60 promo. Not only did it improve the overall sq of the speakers, but it improved power handling. I've been able to run a DEI Viper 125x2 amp for over two years without any problems. They are normally crossed over around 75-80 hz.

Pl8er
02-23-2007, 07:47 AM
I'll search out those crossovers, thanks for the info! I figure worst case, I blow the set and I upgrade :D I really want some Rainbow's but I don't "hate" the sound I have now so I can't justify it.

PollyCranopolis
02-23-2007, 02:42 PM
I have a RF 851X 4 chan, so my set is getting about 100-110 watts per side. Never had any problem with the mids cutting out...even when crossed over at around 65hz. I did have some issues with the tweets cutting out due to the protection circuit. Lowered my gains some, and the issue corrected.

PollyCranopolis
02-23-2007, 02:46 PM
I'll search out those crossovers, thanks for the info! I figure worst case, I blow the set and I upgrade :D I really want some Rainbow's but I don't "hate" the sound I have now so I can't justify it.

In the same boat. My CDT's have a couple years of wear on them, and the speaker terminals are rusted due to a leaky door (some light sanding should fix). I'm about to re-install everything in my 03" Civic I just bought, and was thinking of buying a fresh set of Crystals, or Rainbow SLC Kicks for the front, and moving the CDT's to the back, but I'm debating this due to the fact the CDT's still sounded pretty **** good when i took them out of my last ride.

preunnerv6
02-23-2007, 11:27 PM

I forgot to add that I eventually ditched the original tweeters, which I didn't particularly care for. I decided to use some Crystal Mobilesound silk tweeters that I had sitting in a box from a past install.

With the CL-6a mids, Crystal tweeters, and 560 x-overs...it was a quite an improvement.

SoundRider
03-08-2007, 10:15 PM
I ran into a couple of problems at first, but then I found out I just made a couple of mistakes in the wiring.