PDA

View Full Version : speaker upgrade

blowthemup
02-21-2007, 09:11 PM
I have a 99 Chevy Malibu, 6x9's in the rear and idk the front doors. I plan on putting 2 12 inch subs in the trunk. Should i get some good comps for the front and not bother with the 6x9's in the rear?

chucku
02-21-2007, 09:54 PM
Yeah. A pair of 6x9 wont hurt for rear fill, but dont skimp on the front comps or power for them. Make shure you can fade them out, youll hear the difference and probabily never even turn the rears on unless you have people out back.

blowthemup
02-21-2007, 10:12 PM
Should I amp the rear deck? I normally dont have rear passengers so like u said I will probaly not have them on often. If I do put some rear fill in can I just fade them using my hu or is there a special way your talking bout? What are some good brand comps for the front? Also if you know away to find out the size of my door speakers that would be great cause I really dont feel like taking the door panle off.

DejaWiz
02-22-2007, 12:43 PM
Take out the factory 6x9's so you have cabin vents for the subs. Don't mess with rear fill. It's a big waste IMO.

blowthemup
02-22-2007, 08:08 PM
Ok ill do with no rear fill. What are some good front comps to look at. Probaly aroun 250 for a set is what im trying to stay at but idk much about them so I may be able to change that price.

chucku
02-22-2007, 08:08 PM
Go to crutchfield and put in your make and model of car, and theyll tell you what will fit. Ive only owned mb quarts comps so Im not that much help. I heard some alpines I liked in a store. Go listen to some.

DejaWiz
02-22-2007, 08:16 PM
What kind of music do you mostly listen to (name some bands/artists if you want) and give some specifics of what you want the new speakers to do such as...

Midbass - do you like lots of it?
Highs - do you want soft and subtle or strong and sharp?

blowthemup
02-22-2007, 08:47 PM
I listen to mostly rap and some rock here and there. Very rarely do I listen to country. Like my music to be crisp and sharp. Ofcourse want it to sound good and probaly be loud since I wont have any rear fill. My door speakers are 4x6...will good comps that size be loud enough? Will be amping them when i get them and if not I will in the future.

DejaWiz
02-22-2007, 11:16 PM
Best advice I can give is to pull your panel off and check whether or not you might be able to fit some 6.5" speakers in there.

Check for:
1.) Speaker diameter clearance.
2.) Speaker depth allowance.
3.) Distance between speaker mount point and door panel/grille.

1.) will allow you to determine in you can fit a larger speaker than 4x6 in there.
2.) will allow you to determine if a larger/deep speaker can be present without interfering with things such as the window when it's rolled down.
3.) will allow you to determine if you have room enough for a custom fabricated mdf adapter/spacer so that 1 and 2 can happen.

If you don't want to tear it apart yourself, call some local shops and ask if they have ever successfully put 6.5's in a same model/age Malibu.