PDA

View Full Version : Dual amping comps?

chucku
02-21-2007, 06:51 PM
I have been wondering, as I have now acquired more amps, if this would make sense. I have 2 sets of MB quart reference comps, and a JL 300/4, which is 75x4 and an alpine 45x4 amp. Should I hook up the alpine to the 4 tweeters on the factory speaker crossover and the JL to the 4 woofers, or should I just bridge both amps to 1 set of comps each and keep it simple. Is there any great advantage to powering the tweets and woofers with separate amps through the crossover or would I need to go active to hear any results? Thanks, Chuck

Gary S
02-21-2007, 07:32 PM
or should I just bridge both amps to 1 set of comps each and keep it simple.

- Do that and bi-wire if the crossovers have biwire inputs.... tweeter crossover input gets it's own wires from the amp.

chucku
02-21-2007, 08:36 PM
Explain bi wire? I have 4 input terminals on each crossover, 2 for tweeter and 2 for woofer. It comes factory with jumpers so you only hook up 2 wires to each crossover. How would I hook up to all 4 uless I use 2 4 ch amps?

Gary S
02-22-2007, 08:38 AM
Explain bi wire? I have 4 input terminals on each crossover, 2 for tweeter and 2 for woofer. It comes factory with jumpers so you only hook up 2 wires to each crossover. How would I hook up to all 4 uless I use 2 4 ch amps?

- Cut the jumpers... run a separate tweeter and mid-woofer speaker wire... twist both together at the amp and connect them to one amp channel. Repeat for remaining four sides/amp channels.

It does not make sense to me, I'm not an engineer, but a speaker designer once claimed it could make an improvement. As cheap as speaker wire is, it's worth doing.

///M5
02-22-2007, 08:47 AM
I'd sell both sets of speakers and both your amps, giving you enough money to buy one amp and one set of better speakers.

DejaWiz
02-22-2007, 10:05 AM
I run Alpine SPX's on 2 channels off an Infinity 7541a. As soon as I get a mono amp for my sub, I'm biamps those X's. Should make a bit of a difference being able to set the gains specifically for each of the mids and tweets. I say follow suit...

JimJ
02-22-2007, 01:16 PM
I'd rather run active first instead of biamping...sacrifice a little headroom for much, much more tuning flexibility :)

chucku
02-22-2007, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the replys. I bridged the amps to the comps last night. My truck smells like band aids bad, probabily not a good thing?. This is too much power for them. Im going to try bi amping them tomorrow to see what that does. I want to go active but dont know how. Anyone care to explain and recommentd what I need? I definately have clear and loud but need to adjust the sound better. If active wont cost me much more Im there. Bi amping will give me some adj with the tweets, but the mb tweets make my ears bleed.

///M5
02-22-2007, 04:19 PM
What do you have for a headunit?

chucku
02-22-2007, 04:21 PM
I have an alpine 9856.
EDIT. I just studied my JL amp more. It has a 10x switch for the front channels. So this means that I can hook up the JL to my front comps with the tweets getting the 2 front channels and the mids getting the 2 rear channels, right? That still leaves me with the rears bridged off the alpine. Ill try this and see haw it sounds. I was really wanting to do the alpine to the tweets and the jl for the mids but I wont have to buy anything to try this out. I wonder what will sound better the bridged 300/4 through the mbq crossover or 75x4 to the comps wi8th the jl crossover. I guess Ill let you know tomorrow(if anybody cares)