PDA

View Full Version : Turbo'ing the Ranger

LoudCrownVic
02-21-2007, 05:43 PM
I want to look at what it would cost, what it would take, and wheher it would be worth it to turbocharge/build my Ranger's motor. What are some good sites to do turbo research on?

It's the 2.5l 4 cyl and is bone stock, with 108k on it. It has 123 hp now, Would hope to get into the approx 250-300hp range with $2-3000. Do you think that's realistic or worthwhile just form those numbers?

I dunno, just dreaming.

Kenny Pollock
02-21-2007, 05:46 PM
4 cylinder FTL

THUNDERBIRD
02-21-2007, 05:47 PM
for that price you can get a v8 and put it in and get like 280-330hp, you will have to also get a new tranny and a new rear end but would be alot better.

Eugenics
02-21-2007, 05:52 PM
i also agree with the v8 swap. to reach that power i would imagine you would need forged internals, good engine management, among other things. trying to get there with a stock block would be asking alot.

Alpine CDA-9815
02-21-2007, 05:53 PM
Turbos cost $$$ to do correctly. As said above you are best to get a new motor with some power to it already, especially since you got 108k on yours already IMO.

dru
02-21-2007, 05:54 PM
traction is going to be a big issue especially with pickups

buddy of mine has a sr20det in a nissan truck and traction is lost all day

Eugenics
02-21-2007, 05:55 PM
you also have to figure that with 2-3k maybe a little more you could trade upto something thats already alot faster. and in better condition stock. not to mention resale will be alot better should you decide to sell THAT vehicle in the future.

Railrocker
02-21-2007, 06:00 PM
I want to look at what it would cost, what it would take, and wheher it would be worth it to turbocharge/build my Ranger's motor. What are some good sites to do turbo research on?

It's the 2.5l 4 cyl and is bone stock, with 108k on it. It has 123 hp now, Would hope to get into the approx 250-300hp range with $2-3000. Do you think that's realistic or worthwhile just form those numbers?

I dunno, just dreaming.

I agree with everyone else on a v-8 swap or at least a supercharged 6 cyl.

But to anwer you question: yes you can pull that kind of power out of those motors. Been told some of the mini sprint cars in tulsa are using that exact motor and theyre good for 300+.

SEVEN_ELEVEN
02-21-2007, 06:02 PM
302 swap x2......theres alot more information out there and parts then there is for the turbo.

http://carshop.carshopinc.com/product_info.php/products_id/4490/38200

http://www.advanceadapters.com/

All the stuff from advanced adapters is really good quality. Like said before though your gonna need a new tranny and rear end but IMO its a much better deal than the turbo 4 cyl. At least with the 5.0 you have more room for even more power in the future if you ever want it.

Blazin_Jason
02-21-2007, 08:58 PM
My neighbor has a turbo in his ranger. He's all about turboing fords. He had a Turbo Coupe thunderbird, and he turbo'd his mustang, and his ranger. Can't remember if he had done anything to the engine in his Ranger or not.

LoudCrownVic
02-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the good advice, I've looked at a v8 swap already... I am not so inclined to do that although the V8 converted rangers seem to have quite a bit more value from what I've seen.

saywhat?
02-22-2007, 02:59 PM
you wont get a turbo setup for anything under 2500, let alone double or triple your power output. buy a 302 and build it. make sure its a roller motor, and go from there.hell, even a 351 (seeing as you want to go the forced induction route. your not going to get that power for that little money. maybe if it was already turbo and just had to upgrade things.

LoudCrownVic
02-22-2007, 03:01 PM
There's a poorly done 350 converted S10 truck for sale for 1000 next to me....

2000Gator
02-24-2007, 03:43 PM
i have whats left of my 94 gt convertible that you can buy. has a complete rebuilt 305 in it and a rebuilt t5 tranny with some hardened internals. 4.10 gears and lots of other stuff. just needs a radiator i believe. got cracked in the crash :(

jonnybusa
03-01-2007, 01:11 AM

I dunno, just dreaming.

TO BE HONEST, YOU CAN BUY A WELL BUILT 302 THAT MAKES 300HP AND PUT IT IN FOR $2000. TRANNY.......$1000.

THEN YOU CAN SAVE UP AND GET A TURBO/BLOWER. EASILY MAKE 500HP, AND BE RELIABLE AS HELL. OR ADD NOS FOR $500

JUST A WASTE OF $$$ PUTTING A TURBO ON THERE. YOU'LL ONLY GAIN 60HP FOR OVER $3000......THEN YOU WILL HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT YOUR TRANNY SHITTING THE BED.
JMO

FineLinePimpin
03-01-2007, 05:29 PM
i have whats left of my 94 gt convertible that you can buy. has a complete rebuilt 305 in it and a rebuilt t5 tranny with some hardened internals. 4.10 gears and lots of other stuff. just needs a radiator i believe. got cracked in the crash :(

How much you want for that stang?

Also it would be useless to turbo that 2.5 Its very mod worthy. Would be better idea to do a 2.3L svo mustang swap if you really wanted a turbo 4cyl.

LoudCrownVic
03-01-2007, 05:34 PM
How much you want for that stang?

Also it would be useless to turbo that 2.5 Its very mod worthy. Would be better idea to do a 2.3L svo mustang swap if you really wanted a turbo 4cyl.

It's mod worthy but not mod worthy? Is it or isn't it? Sorry a little confizzled.

I could also use a Mekur Scorpio 2.3 turbo, but at this point I am probably going to buy a firebird or a camaro with a 350 this summer... Ive always wanted one and I figure I might as well get it out of my system.

FineLinePimpin
03-01-2007, 09:41 PM
The XR4Ti came witht he 2.3 turbo..not the Scorpio...and i meant to say the 2.5 is NOT very mod worthy...sorry for the confusion. The XR4Ti and Mustang SVO had the same engine...but the SVO is waaaay easier to find these days.

Platestacker45
03-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Why do you want to turbo your Ranger anyway? Just to be unique or have something to work on? A turbo is just a start in the long list of things you will have to upgrade to get that thing working right. There is much much more than to just throwing a turbo or placing a high horsepower drag motor in a little stock 4banger ranger. And adding a turbo and everything else needed for that Ranger would still not make it faster than a stock sports car.

LoudCrownVic
03-02-2007, 10:31 PM
Why do you want to turbo your Ranger anyway? Just to be unique or have something to work on? A turbo is just a start in the long list of things you will have to upgrade to get that thing working right. There is much much more than to just throwing a turbo or placing a high horsepower drag motor in a little stock 4banger ranger. And adding a turbo and everything else needed for that Ranger would still not make it faster than a stock sports car.

I am aware of the crap I'd have to do... Even more awrare after some reasearch.

On top of forged internals on the motor, low compression pistons, port and polish on the head, intercooler, intercooler lines, turbo, oil lines to the turbo. Intake manifold port and polish (or custom). Bigger injectors, modified engine computer, cam. The truck also needs numerous 100k mechanical maintenence such as waterpump, timing belt, and other stuff that hasn't failed... And that's if any of that stuff is even available for that specific engine.

To make it a true sport truck I'd need to lower it (springs), change the roll bars, get new shocks, rims, tires, susp. bushings. The brakes would definitely need to be improved.

The interior would need gages run, (plus all current system and interior mods planned).

Last of all, I'd have to fix accident damage too.

Basically, yeah, it's a bad idea.

So I'm gonna look for a Camaro, Mustang or a Firebird.

smd4life
03-02-2007, 10:34 PM
you don't really have to go all out and tear down the motor...just something small turbo-wise and no intercooler, a quick 50hp easy

kuijo
03-02-2007, 10:36 PM
One vote for lightning engine swap.

or what this guy did.

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/Ranger+lightning/0/47e5beb4-02da-4ee0-ab83-983f00f8e049.htm

LoudCrownVic
03-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Ooohh...

I fell in love with 347's a long time ago :)

Platestacker45
03-03-2007, 03:08 AM
I am aware of the crap I'd have to do... Even more awrare after some reasearch.

On top of forged internals on the motor, low compression pistons, port and polish on the head, intercooler, intercooler lines, turbo, oil lines to the turbo. Intake manifold port and polish (or custom). Bigger injectors, modified engine computer, cam. The truck also needs numerous 100k mechanical maintenence such as waterpump, timing belt, and other stuff that hasn't failed... And that's if any of that stuff is even available for that specific engine.

To make it a true sport truck I'd need to lower it (springs), change the roll bars, get new shocks, rims, tires, susp. bushings. The brakes would definitely need to be improved.

The interior would need gages run, (plus all current system and interior mods planned).

Last of all, I'd have to fix accident damage too.

Basically, yeah, it's a bad idea.

So I'm gonna look for a Camaro, Mustang or a Firebird.
Hahah. Yup, thats pretty much what you would have to do man. There no such thing as a quick Turbo or Supercharged upgrade on a stock vehicle. And yea, a Camaro Z28, Mustang GT, or Trans Am would still own a Ranger with all of the above.

One Bad MOFO
03-03-2007, 03:19 AM
Hahah. Yup, thats pretty much what you would have to do man. There no such thing as a quick Turbo or Supercharged upgrade on a stock vehicle. And yea, a Camaro Z28, Mustang GT, or Trans Am would still own a Ranger with all of the above.
and don't even mention the turbo camaro :naughty: or blown mustang :yumyum:

HardCoreSound
03-03-2007, 04:04 PM
pretty sick man

millerscents
03-03-2007, 04:13 PM
call and talk to them will help you in any way thay can very nice people
a friend of mine works there

http://www.ststurbo.com/

tapout
03-03-2007, 04:17 PM
pretty sick man

whats pretty sick?

LoudCrownVic
03-05-2007, 06:16 PM
call and talk to them will help you in any way thay can very nice people
a friend of mine works there

http://www.ststurbo.com/

I am liking that alot. :veryhapp:

mr_imperial
03-05-2007, 08:46 PM
351 windsor + ur ranger = :yumyum:

bryce-man
03-06-2007, 10:16 PM
or you could just wait till ford comes out with that new 3.5L v6 for the ranger and swap that
250 hp
240 tq