PDA

View Full Version : help with supertweeters lol

pimpedout97x
02-21-2007, 02:26 PM
no flaming please. im just looking for some information. ive seen some other people using these eminence apt80 supertweets, and they wire (in the positive wire) a little "cap" thing...looks something like this: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=027-406

it so if its gonna blow, that little cap thing blows 1st and disables the tweeter. i guess its sorta like a fuse type thing?

again please dont flame, im just looking for what i need to get. tweets are Eminence APT 80

mrray13
02-21-2007, 02:38 PM
usually caps are put into place to act as a crossover. a resistor can be used to attenuate the output. but i've not heard of using a capacitor as a protection circuit.

can you get a link or picture of the actual capacitor used? our electronic guy has never heard of such a thing. he made a suggestion concerning just running a fuse inline with each tweeter. basicly put, start small, like 2.5 amp, crank your stereo. if it pops before full volume, try a larger fuse. stop when you get to the pointof being able to crank the system where you want it and don't blow a fuse. that way if there is a spike above that, pop goes the fuse and your tweeters are safe.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :peace:

Gary S
02-21-2007, 02:55 PM
no flaming please. im just looking for some information. ive seen some other people using these eminence apt80 supertweets, and they wire (in the positive wire) a little "cap" thing...looks something like this: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=027-406

it so if its gonna blow, that little cap thing blows 1st and disables the tweeter. i guess its sorta like a fuse type thing?

again please dont flame, im just looking for what i need to get. tweets are Eminence APT 80

- A single cap on a tweeter is a basic 6bd per octave crossover, or high-pass filter.

You would have to research or ask the manufacturer what value you need... they are rated in Micro farads (uf)

They are not really a tweeter protector... it's just that since the cap limits low frequencies, the tweeter sees less power/ less low frequencies. The cap you gave a link to might not blow before the tweeter... those are better quality, possibly higher voltage. The cheaper caps are liable to blow first.

Cheap caps:

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=72

The caps you use for crossovers must be non-polarized or otherwise listed for crossover use.

When they go, they explode like a firecracker.

Piezo tweeters have a built in mechanical roll-off and oftentimes don't need caps... but a cap can tailor the response and allow it to handle some more power... it's not unusual to see a cap on a piezo.

Those things are made to go with arrays of highly efficient pro mids for far-field use.... they are usually around 100db or more sensitivity at one watt... they are wayyyyyyyyyyyy too loud to be matched with just a pair of car midranges. You'd need a door full just to keep up with the tweeter. Plus, I believe they have higher distortion. Nasty! LOL!

LoudCrownVic
02-21-2007, 03:03 PM
Theres the thermal protection fuses that disconnect when they get to a certian temp and then close back up when they cool off... Saw them in the dayton catalog while on the shitter this morning.

pimpedout97x
02-21-2007, 03:16 PM
haha

ill go by and ask the guy that has 20 of these tweets in his truck, hes the one that told me about them

JimJ
02-21-2007, 05:07 PM
they are wayyyyyyyyyyyy too loud to be matched with just a pair of car midranges. You'd need a door full just to keep up with the tweeter. Plus, I believe they have higher distortion. Nasty! LOL!

Nothing we haven't told him a bunch of times...I'm just waiting to read the "It's too loud" thread :)

pimpedout97x
02-21-2007, 05:24 PM
oh you wont hear that from me. like ive said ive heard setups with far more pro audio speakers than ill have and i loved it :)

i got my 2 selenium compression horns for the cargo area...now those *****es are loud!

pimpedout97x
02-21-2007, 05:25 PM
Those things are made to go with arrays of highly efficient pro mids for far-field use.... they are usually around 100db or more sensitivity at one watt... they are wayyyyyyyyyyyy too loud to be matched with just a pair of car midranges. You'd need a door full just to keep up with the tweeter. Plus, I believe they have higher distortion. Nasty! LOL!

lol where have you been, check out my sig, i have 16 mids

///M5
02-21-2007, 05:50 PM
What you are asking for are these:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=071-254&CFID=7052618&CFTOKEN=26103480

They also have circuit breakers but they have a 5 second cycle before triggering.

///M5
02-21-2007, 05:50 PM
If you manage to blow those you are not only deaf but...