PDA

View Full Version : Speakers distorting when bass hit! HELP!

Platestacker45
02-21-2007, 02:01 PM
I've got a box loaded with (4) 8" Eminence and (4) SuperTweets. On a lot of songs I play, my Mids/Highs will be screaming and are crystal clear but when the bass hits, they start to distort and don't sound quite as loud. Why is this? I'm running a Hifonics BX2005D at 2ohms's putting out a actual 1000-1100 watts and running a Kicker 650.4 off of only 2 of it's channels. I have stock Electrical sytem with 160amp Alt so I don't think running too much power is the issue. What could be doing this to my speakers?

pimpedout97x
02-21-2007, 02:02 PM
you got a crossover?

Platestacker45
02-21-2007, 02:08 PM
you got a crossover?

Just what my HU gives me.

maldecido33
02-21-2007, 02:10 PM
maybe its the actual speakers?

haha, let the flame war begin :popcorn:

pimpedout97x
02-21-2007, 02:10 PM
prally need a 3 way crossover...tard

lol

pimpedout97x
02-21-2007, 02:11 PM
maybe its the actual speakers?

haha, let the flame war begin :popcorn:

its not. i see what this thread is going to turn into though...

Platestacker45
02-21-2007, 02:23 PM
its not. i see what this thread is going to turn into though...

Yea, I was a little hesitent on creating this thread because of that. Intelligent answers only please.

psych0ticnemes1
02-21-2007, 02:30 PM
at any volume or high volume?

Trey803
02-21-2007, 02:35 PM
make sure u got at least a 12db slope and set it at near 80hz......your crossover that is

Platestacker45
02-21-2007, 02:38 PM
at any volume or high volume?

It's only when I got it cranked full blast. Sounds very loud and crystal clear at full volume, but as soon as that bass hits, it's starts to distort. And when the bass stops again in the song, it goes back to clear and loud.

jdawg
02-21-2007, 02:40 PM
what model tweets? May have to seperate them on the backside form the bass wave

Platestacker45
02-21-2007, 02:42 PM

They are Pyramid TW-46's. What do you mean seperate from the backside? I don't think it's so much of the tweeters as the speakers doing the distorting, could be both but it's hard to tell.

Trey803
you need to work with you crossover setting on the HU

Trey803
and u need a separate crossover for the tweets

Trey803
02-21-2007, 02:43 PM

Due to your lack of car audio vocabulary no one can understand what this means?

psych0ticnemes1
02-21-2007, 02:44 PM
yea, seems like either 1) clipping causing distortion, 2) crossover settings... most likely the latter

Platestacker45
02-21-2007, 02:49 PM
make sure u got at least a 12db slope and set it at near 80hz......your crossover that is

Is this the only thing I need to make sure it set up like this? I'm a little confued when it comes to the Digital Crossover in my HU. I'm searching on how to properly set them and any info you guys can provide will help greatly. Anything I need make sure it set right in my EQ settings?

Trey803
02-21-2007, 02:51 PM
well that would be for your mids and that is a rough estimate that should be fine but may not give you the best sound quality it all depends on your mids. And as for your highs im forget what to set the crossover point at but it is alot higher than 80hz

jdawg
02-21-2007, 04:04 PM
it means seperate them from the woofers, wtf is so hard to understand, and he is probably just running them crossed over only using the 6db capacitor that came with them
you are going to need an electronic crossover that goes high enough to cross the tweets, you could use some passives but you prolly will be better with an active crossover sending a 3k or whatever and up signal to your amp

jdawg
02-21-2007, 04:06 PM
well that would be for your mids and that is a rough estimate that should be fine but may not give you the best sound quality it all depends on your mids. And as for your highs im forget what to set the crossover point at but it is alot higher than 80hz

it depends on the speaker, there is no set point for your "highs" asshat

jdawg
02-21-2007, 04:09 PM
did a quick search, those tweets go as low as 2k your 8's go up to 5k, i would cross the tweets at 3kup, and the mids at the same point and down, but get an electronic crossover cause really you will have some peaks to smooth out, there is no one answer as to where to set it

Hintzyboy
02-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Pick up a Coustic XM-7. Not the best quality out there, but it should do just fine for you. Besides, if you're running Eminence and Pyramid equipment, I doubt it will hurt the sound quality of your equipment.

It will definitely take some tweeking to get the right crossover points, but it should fix your problems.

Good Luck

///M5
02-21-2007, 05:53 PM
Wow, I'd give the XM-7 WAY more credit than that.

Platestacker45
02-21-2007, 06:28 PM
But would my Crossover settings being off make the speakers drop in volume when my bass hits as well? And you think the speakers are receiving more lows when my bass hits than when there is no bass at all? I really appreciate all your guy's help!

Hintzyboy
02-21-2007, 07:09 PM
Wow, I'd give the XM-7 WAY more credit than that.

It's not that the XM-7 isn't a decent unit, it's just that Coustic isn't a name generally associated with SQ products. The XM-7 is a good entry-level electronic crossover, but you're only going to get so much performance in that price range. I'm actually planning on buying an XM-7 in the near future.

Hintzyboy
02-21-2007, 07:23 PM
But would my Crossover settings being off make the speakers drop in volume when my bass hits as well? And you think the speakers are receiving more lows when my bass hits than when there is no bass at all? I really appreciate all your guy's help!

If the bass doesn't hit, your music isn't producing the low signals, so the speakers won't see them, even if your crossover settings are messed up. Getting the speakers crossed over correctly could very well solve your distortion problem. I think that the volume thing you're experiencing may just be that when the subs hit, you don't notice the other speakers as much. Unless you are pulling to much current at once, and you're getting a voltage drop, pulling power (and thus volume) from all your speakers

mlstrass
02-22-2007, 12:57 AM
Crank it up and turn down the sub amp, so you'll be able to isolate the mids/tweets during a bass heavy part of a song. See if they distort then. If yes it's a crossover issue, if not then I'd look into your electrical...

Platestacker45
02-22-2007, 01:05 AM
I've been playing around with my Xover settings and had someone else take a look at it too. Pretty much got my problems solved for the most part, but now my bass is lacking! Songs just don't hit as hard now and I'm so pissed. Anyone know what THIS problem is now? Did I adjust something wrong? And does anyone have experiece with the MMX or Makers Mix I think it's called in the EQ settings?

88Mike
02-22-2007, 01:38 AM
Ive had this problem before, it was the wattage :X

///M5
02-22-2007, 08:49 AM
It's not that the XM-7 isn't a decent unit, it's just that Coustic isn't a name generally associated with SQ products. The XM-7 is a good entry-level electronic crossover, but you're only going to get so much performance in that price range. I'm actually planning on buying an XM-7 in the near future.

I disagree. The XM-7 is one of the best analog crossovers, especially for the money. It is miles ahead of everything else in his car. It sounds to me like you are confusing the XM-7 with the XM-6.

DDFrontier
02-22-2007, 09:38 AM
OK, I have to ask....why in the hell would you put tweeters on your sub enclosure??? Doesn't that kill your imaging and soundstage?

Unless your sub enclosure is built into your dash, I cannot see the good in putting tweeters in it.

Or, are you one of those that just like to get loud to show off and couldn't care less about the SQ?

Hintzyboy
02-22-2007, 12:03 PM
I disagree. The XM-7 is one of the best analog crossovers, especially for the money. It is miles ahead of everything else in his car. It sounds to me like you are confusing the XM-7 with the XM-6.

Oops, My bad. It was the XM-6 I was looking at. My apologies to anyone I may have confused.

Hintzyboy
02-22-2007, 12:04 PM
OK, I have to ask....why in the hell would you put tweeters on your sub enclosure??? Doesn't that kill your imaging and soundstage?

Unless your sub enclosure is built into your dash, I cannot see the good in putting tweeters in it.

Or, are you one of those that just like to get loud to show off and couldn't care less about the SQ?

Power Acoustik Mofos, Eminence mids, Pyramid tweets, somehow I highly doubt he's concerned with SQ.

Platestacker45
02-22-2007, 12:08 PM

Uhh.. my tweeters on not built into my sub enclosure. Not sure were you got that idea from. And this thread isen't to discuss why I have those speakers/tweets in my car.

Hintzyboy
02-22-2007, 12:10 PM
I've got a box loaded with (4) 8" Eminence and (4) SuperTweets. On a lot of songs I play, my Mids/Highs will be screaming and are crystal clear but when the bass hits, they start to distort and don't sound quite as loud. Why is this? I'm running a Hifonics BX2005D at 2ohms's putting out a actual 1000-1100 watts and running a Kicker 650.4 off of only 2 of it's channels. I have stock Electrical sytem with 160amp Alt so I don't think running too much power is the issue. What could be doing this to my speakers?

Probably where he got it from.

DDFrontier
02-22-2007, 12:14 PM
That's exactly where I got it from. Maybe you should learn some grammar skills? This thread is a waste of bandwidth. :rolleyes:

Platestacker45
02-22-2007, 07:56 PM
That's exactly where I got it from. Maybe you should learn some grammar skills? This thread is a waste of bandwidth. :rolleyes:

Grammer skills? I said I have box with 4 Mids and 4 Highs in it... I said nothing about subwoofers being in that box! I think you should learn how to understand and read grammer. Any semi-intellegent person would also look at my gallery and see all the pictures of it before saying some stupid like that. And you are a waste of bandwidth dumping in my thread....

BASSMEKANIK
02-22-2007, 08:02 PM

dude is a ****.. i learned that a long time ago...

BASSMEKANIK
02-22-2007, 08:04 PM
Grammer skills? I said I have box with 4 Mids and 4 Highs in it... I said nothing about subwoofers being in that box! I think you should learn how to understand and read grammer. Any semi-intellegent person would also look at my gallery and see all the pictures of it before saying some stupid like that. And you are a waste of bandwidth dumping in my thread....

mad because tha steroids made your pee pee small?

DDFrontier
02-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Ok, you put mids and tweets in a sub enclosure (or a box without subs as you say)....either way, that's gay as hell. Does your car not have doors? I wouldn't waste my time looking in your gallery after reading your posts. :laugh:

Where is this ****** "mid/tweet" box in your car anyway? I'm curious.

If you are using 8" as your mids, what the hell are your midbasses, 12" ProThumps?

Platestacker45
02-22-2007, 08:45 PM
Ok, you put mids and tweets in a sub enclosure (or a box without subs as you say)....either way, that's gay as hell. Does your car not have doors? I wouldn't waste my time looking in your gallery after reading your posts. :laugh:

Where is this ****** "mid/tweet" box in your car anyway? I'm curious.

If you are using 8" as your mids, what the hell are your midbasses, 12" ProThumps?

I-did-not put my mids/highs in a sub enclosure. They are in an enclosure built specifically for the mids/highs. They are pro-audio drivers and they are designed to be in a enclosure. My car does have doors and they contain 8" mids as well smart guy. Why do you insist on dumping in my thread, do you have ANY info to answer my orginal question?

DDFrontier
02-22-2007, 09:09 PM
I-did-not put my mids/highs in a sub enclosure. They are in an enclosure built specifically for the mids/highs. They are pro-audio drivers and they are designed to be in a enclosure. My car does have doors and they contain 8" mids as well smart guy. Why do you insist on dumping in my thread, do you have ANY info to answer my orginal question?

My, oh my, where do I begin.........

Maybe buy some quality stuff? Just an idea. Seriously, this is an instance where you truly get what you pay for. Put crappy equipment in, get crappy sound out.

P.S. It's retarded to put 4 tweeters in a box in the back of your car.

Stay tuned for further suggestions.

Platestacker45
02-22-2007, 09:24 PM
My, oh my, where do I begin.........

Maybe buy some quality stuff? Just an idea. Seriously, this is an instance where you truly get what you pay for. Put crappy equipment in, get crappy sound out.

P.S. It's retarded to put 4 tweeters in a box in the back of your car.

Stay tuned for further suggestions.

I don't want your **** suggestions! You are nobody to me. You opinions on rather you think my equipment is the best out there, I don't care about. Get it? I did not start this thread asking opinions on my equipment. I played around with my Xover and EQ settings and now it sounds awsome. Have never had one person sit in my car and say that it sounds like crap. Never. People say how it is the loudest car they've ever sat in and how clean it sounds. My equipment is crappy because it's not your name brand Focal or RE speakers? Get off the bandwagon and start looking around more. You never heard my car or probably never even heard 8MR's or TW-46's in person either. So shut ur mouth and go away.

konechiwa
02-22-2007, 09:26 PM

perhaps it would have been helpful to say that some of them are in the doors, instead of just saying that (4) 8" mids and (4) tweets were in an enclosure. Maybe try turning the bass down (EQ wise) i mean, if they are "mids" as you say, you don't want them to have much bass, right?

DDFrontier
02-22-2007, 09:35 PM
This guy does not have a firm grasp on the English language and its associated grammar rules. If he did, his original post would have clarified all the driver placement questions we've posed since.

Anyway, if you played with the EQ and you like the way it sounds now, why don't you shut YOUR mouth and go away?

HaHa! Eminence and SuperTweets? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I think they use those in Gitmo's interrogation rooms! Why would I listen to them willingly?

BASSMEKANIK
02-22-2007, 09:39 PM
This guy does not have a firm grasp on the English language and its associated grammar rules. If he did, his original post would have clarified all the driver placement questions we've posed since.

Anyway, if you played with the EQ and you like the way it sounds now, why don't you shut YOUR mouth and go away?

I think they use those in Gitmo's interrogation rooms! Why would I listen to them willingly?

he's a *** bag... he should be a member of carstereo.com...

DDFrontier
02-22-2007, 09:41 PM
Maybe he works at Circuit City.

Platestacker45
02-22-2007, 11:30 PM

Clarified all the driver placement questions you've posted? The hell are you talking about? You never even asked me where they were, you just assumed they were somehow built into my sub enclosure. Driver placement have NOTHING to do with my original question either! It doesen't matter were they are placed. And I did play with my Xover and EQ and therefore this thread is over. Which means stop making yourself look like a *******.

DDFrontier
02-23-2007, 08:01 AM
You just proved my point, douchebag!