PDA

View Full Version : mixing parts in a component set

2wheeler
02-20-2007, 05:03 PM
I want a set of Image Dynamics chameleons for my truck. Budget won't allow me to get them for a few months, but I've found all the pieces available seperately for reasonable prices. Here is the question: How will it sound with ID tweeters and eventually mids running on my Infinity Reference crossovers? Should I start with the x-overs, tweets or mids? Any danger of damage to the new parts? Am I on crack for thinking of proceeding this way? Is 100x2 @ 4ohms good for the IDs.

Thanks

Any input on other brands/models is welcome.

squeak9798
02-20-2007, 05:30 PM
How will it sound with ID tweeters and eventually mids running on my Infinity Reference crossovers?

Depends on the xover fequencies and slopes and how the drivers will perform with those particular xover frequencies and slopes

But...I'm presuming you have the Infinities now, and that's how they are fitting into this equation?

Any danger of damage to the new parts?

Yes. If the highpass frequency is too low, or the slope too shallow, for the tweter you will be using you could potentially damage the tweeter.

Likewise, if the nominal impedance of the driver doesn't match the nominal impedance the xover was designed to work with, you will alter the xover frequency and as such could run into some sonic problems.

Am I on crack for thinking of proceeding this way?

On crack? No.

But there are some things that need to be carefully considered.

Is 100x2 @ 4ohms good for the IDs.

Yes.

Any input on other brands/models is welcome.

Depends on your budget.

Should I start with the x-overs, tweets or mids?

Honestly, I would wait to install any of it until you have all three....so it doesn't really matter.

2wheeler
02-20-2007, 07:43 PM
I suspected that the audio smart guys would discourage this, and I'm ok with that. The deal is that one of my Reference tweets is crakling a bit and Infinity was absolutely no help besides "buy a new set of tweeters including unneeded crossovers at full retail". Wouldn't sell me just one. I'm not really impressed with them anyway, so I was (am) trying to fix the bad tweet and move forward at the same time without giving Infinity any more $. I've been planning on a HU upgrade, so I might put that on hold and get new comps.. Budget for speakers would be about $350, stock locations in a 04 Toyota Tacoma, 100w x 2. ID is on my list because I have an IDQ10 sub that I really like and Eric was very helpful during my sub install. Plus I've read several good reviews by owners of the chameleons and haven't found any bad reviews (yet).

But,

if I started with the x-overs then the potential damage would be limited to my Infinity drivers, right? Then adding the tweets would be safe, and the mids would be last...

Hmmmm <scratches chin in a thoughtful manner>

squeak9798
02-20-2007, 09:22 PM
if I started with the x-overs then the potential damage would be limited to my Infinity drivers, right?

Pretty much....

The resulting sound also might not be the greatest, again, depending on driver impedance and xover point/slope.