PDA

View Full Version : So i measured my stock speaker size today



hondarider
02-19-2007, 10:23 PM
I took off my door panel and measured the max diameter and depth. The diameter was 5 3/8 inches and the depth won't matter because there was plenty of room behind there. I want to fit new components in the stock hole without modifying it because this will be my first time and i want to be able to put the stock ones back in someday if i have to. When i look at 6.5" speakers the mounting diameter bigger that 5 3/8 on alot of the models i was looking at. So i guess i can either pick my component set from momos, new type rs, or 06 type xs. Or could i make a adapter out of mdf and if so how would i do this? I think making mdf pieces might push the speaker out enough to touch the stock grill. How do you guys fit speakers like the crystal sscs with a mounting diameter of 5.75"?

lrgnation
02-19-2007, 10:25 PM
Fiberglass door pods.

or get some 5.25" mids with tweets somewhere else.

j3bus2k3
02-19-2007, 10:26 PM
If 3/4" is too big, try 1/2" MDF, 1/4" hardboard or even 1/8" hardboard and then use some modeling clay to seal it up...

hondarider
02-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Fiberglass door pods.

or get some 5.25" mids with tweets somewhere else.

I think fiberglassing is way over my head. And i thought about 5.25" but i would like to have good midbass.

hondarider
02-19-2007, 10:37 PM
If 3/4" is too big, try 1/2" MDF, 1/4" hardboard or even 1/8" hardboard and then use some modeling clay to seal it up...

Where could i buy hardboard?

ZeroSktr56
02-19-2007, 11:27 PM
Menard's!












(edit: Menards is like Home Depot or Lowe's but only in Midwest. I noticed he was in Iowa so that's why I suggested it.)

j3bus2k3
02-19-2007, 11:31 PM
Where could i buy hardboard?

home depot or lowes will have it near lumber...

Schuey2002
02-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Is hardboard the same stuff that they make clipboards out of?

j3bus2k3
02-20-2007, 12:42 AM
Is hardboard the same stuff that they make clipboards out of?

looks like it but clipboards must have some sort of resin in them to give them they're strength...

lrgnation
02-20-2007, 12:55 AM
yeah a sheet of hardboard at home depot. its like 2x4' is about 2.50$

Raven
02-21-2007, 09:01 PM
More than likely, your mounting diameter is really 5 5/8. It's the standard mounting diameter for a 6 inch speaker. Some "6.5 inch" speakers are really 6 inch speakers with an oversized lip on the basket, and can be mounting in those stock locations. Aura RPM Stage 2 6000s and MTX Dome Axial 6.5" speakers come to mind.

(My Taurus uses the same standard. It's friggin annoying.)

hondarider
02-21-2007, 09:24 PM
More than likely, your mounting diameter is really 5 5/8. It's the standard mounting diameter for a 6 inch speaker. Some "6.5 inch" speakers are really 6 inch speakers with an oversized lip on the basket, and can be mounting in those stock locations. Aura RPM Stage 2 6000s and MTX Dome Axial 6.5" speakers come to mind.

(My Taurus uses the same standard. It's friggin annoying.)

So you think that a speaker with 5 5/8 mounting diameter would actually fit?

Raven
02-21-2007, 10:11 PM
I'm 90% sure it's a 5 5/8 mounting diameter, the other 10% says it's a custom sized stock speaker I've never seen before and you'll have to fabricate a mount on your own (Difficulty: Easy).

If you're getting speakers from a local dealer, just ask if you can test fit one to make sure it works.