PDA

View Full Version : non reference Daton products

BLD 25
02-18-2007, 05:07 PM
Hey, i read alot on here, and it seems that many people agree the dayton reference products are pretty good. I am not wanting to spend quite that much, and i was wondering if the rest of their lines are any good. The t/s parameters look good for some of their classic series stuff, and they also have some nice 7" aluminum drivers that look good for around $15 apeice.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-335

The tweets i was looking at:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=275-070&raid=46&rak=275-070

Also, i have an intrepid with "sail" tweeters that house a 3inch paper cone. :crying: Would this be a decent replacement just to get started to run off the HU until i can make my comps?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?Partnumber=297-426&dotd=021607&orefer=dotd

thanks, i have become fairly knowledgeable in subs, but am still new to making comps, etc. Any other PE brands in the same price range that are good? I assume the goldwood stuff is crap. Any advice is appriciated.

JimJ
02-18-2007, 05:12 PM
Fill the tweet spots with real tweeters, not full range drivers...

As for those mids, I'd be worried about aluminum cone speakers having a breakup node too soon...unless you can find tweets that will go down to 1.8kHz solidly (larger-flange Morels come to mind), I'd go with a paper cone driver instead. Whole lot easier to integrate with most tweeters...

Thieroff
02-19-2007, 07:52 PM
Hey, i read alot on here, and it seems that many people agree the dayton reference products are pretty good. I am not wanting to spend quite that much, and i was wondering if the rest of their lines are any good. The t/s parameters look good for some of their classic series stuff, and they also have some nice 7" aluminum drivers that look good for around $15 apeice.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-335

The tweets i was looking at:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=275-070&raid=46&rak=275-070

Also, i have an intrepid with "sail" tweeters that house a 3inch paper cone. :crying: Would this be a decent replacement just to get started to run off the HU until i can make my comps?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?Partnumber=297-426&dotd=021607&orefer=dotd

thanks, i have become fairly knowledgeable in subs, but am still new to making comps, etc. Any other PE brands in the same price range that are good? I assume the goldwood stuff is crap. Any advice is appriciated.

I have the Dayton DA 175 aluminum mids.

They aren't a bad midrange driver, and sound pretty good, although midbass duty is really where they would shine at.

CT

LoudCrownVic
02-19-2007, 07:57 PM
ive got the refs... The classics can't be too far behind... DO it!

BLD 25
02-20-2007, 04:31 PM
Thanks, so could the aluminum 7" match up with the classic silk tweeter without a midrange?

///M5
02-20-2007, 06:08 PM
If you go that route, I'd at least build a notch.

dragonrage
02-21-2007, 03:58 AM
Don't touch those aluminums... The breakup isn't the problem, but the low Xmax is. And the impedance is 8 ohms.

expo5.0
02-21-2007, 04:11 AM
i definitely like my rs daytons

they are like $30 new- just don't eat a couple meals?

BLD 25
02-22-2007, 08:04 AM
Don't touch those aluminums... The breakup isn't the problem, but the low Xmax is. And the impedance is 8 ohms.

xmax is 4.25mm compared to 6 in the reference. Thats not that huge of a difference.

stuckinok
02-22-2007, 08:25 AM
if you can just save up for the RS it would be alot better.....

nismos14
02-22-2007, 12:53 PM
I have the 7's they sound pretty good even with the small xmax. hardly used if you want them I'd sell'em to ya.

Hintzyboy
02-22-2007, 01:41 PM
xmax is 4.25mm compared to 6 in the reference. Thats not that huge of a difference.

it's about a 30% difference. Not insignificant

///M5
02-23-2007, 08:40 AM
it's about a 30% difference. Not insignificant

Jesus man, have you used both? That is one heck of a blanket statement. Specs on paper don't mean a whole lot. What happens if the driver that has more xmax has a suspension that locks it up way before it can get there? That is sort of like assuming that since one sub models better than the other it is going to work better in your car, not at all the case 100% of the time.

ENDER_XVICM
02-23-2007, 08:54 AM
I looked at the links in the oroginal post and saw the price of these speakers and so I have to ask. I have been looking at the new Alpine Type Rs, the 110 RMS models. Considering the price difference and that I want to stay as cheap as possible. How well will these compare to Alpine Type Rs?

Hintzyboy
02-23-2007, 09:29 AM
Jesus man, have you used both? That is one heck of a blanket statement. Specs on paper don't mean a whole lot. What happens if the driver that has more xmax has a suspension that locks it up way before it can get there? That is sort of like assuming that since one sub models better than the other it is going to work better in your car, not at all the case 100% of the time.

I wasn't saying that the one spec meant that one was necessarily better than the other. I was simply saying that what seems like a small difference (2mm) is actually a 30% difference. Not saying that specs mean everything. My point was that a difference like that shouldn't be ignored. I never once said one was better than the other. I simply said that the difference in Xmax is more substantial than it may seem because of the small values.

BLD 25
02-25-2007, 09:59 AM
i bet these are still alot better than most "retail" stuff on the low end.

Hintzyboy
02-25-2007, 01:13 PM
i bet these are still alot better than most "retail" stuff on the low end.

I don't doubt it. But I'd still fork over the $40 apiece for the Refs.

///M5
02-26-2007, 11:49 PM
I don't doubt it. But I'd still fork over the $40 apiece for the Refs.

I assume you have heard both in comparable installs, or are you just puking out your keyboard?

Hintzyboy
02-26-2007, 11:59 PM
I assume you have heard both in comparable installs, or are you just puking out your keyboard?

Seriously, go back into whatever hole you crawled out of.

///M5
02-27-2007, 11:49 PM
Seriously, go back into whatever hole you crawled out of.

I can translate that into you haven't ever heard either. Stop recommending stuff you know nothing about.

Hintzyboy
02-28-2007, 04:44 PM
I can translate that into you haven't ever heard either. Stop recommending stuff you know nothing about.

Stop making posts only to imply the suggestions are wrong. Maybe if you actually MADE a suggestion of your own, I wouldn't have a problem with you. So far, I've only seen you tell other people that they are wrong, stupid, etc. If you brought something construcitve to the forum, we wouldn't be having a conversation.

Have YOU heard both of these in similar installs? I may not have, but I have heard many good reviews and many recommendations for the Refs. I have not heard anything about the other speakers. For the relatively low price of the Refs, I'd rather go with a product that has been well recieved by the sommunity here. Besides, I never recommended the Refs. I simply said that I would purchase them over the other Daytons. My personal choice in a hypothetical situation is not exactly a suggestion.

///M5
03-01-2007, 12:17 AM
Stop making posts only to imply the suggestions are wrong. Maybe if you actually MADE a suggestion of your own, I wouldn't have a problem with you. So far, I've only seen you tell other people that they are wrong, stupid, etc. If you brought something construcitve to the forum, we wouldn't be having a conversation.

Have YOU heard both of these in similar installs? I may not have, but I have heard many good reviews and many recommendations for the Refs. I have not heard anything about the other speakers. For the relatively low price of the Refs, I'd rather go with a product that has been well recieved by the sommunity here. Besides, I never recommended the Refs. I simply said that I would purchase them over the other Daytons. My personal choice in a hypothetical situation is not exactly a suggestion.

Hey person who recommends out his ***. I have a set of both, maybe if you actually did a little listening instead of arbitrary reading you would actually have known this. Your world is small and you should try calling out someone who is a moron instead of shooting yourself in the foot.

Your hypothetical was an unknowledgeable recommendation, not hypothetical at all.

expo5.0
03-01-2007, 12:43 AM
since when is xmax the important factor?

BLD 25
03-01-2007, 10:41 AM
so, M5, how do they compare?

BLD 25
03-03-2007, 01:35 AM
bump

///M5
03-06-2007, 09:17 AM
so, M5, how do they compare?

For $15 those are really nice. The midrange isn't nearly as transparent nor do they have the chest impact that the Rs series will, but the comparison isn't fair as the dollar difference is more than twice.

BLD 25
03-06-2007, 09:36 AM
Thank you. I actually picked up some old school infinity kappa's from the early nineties that have huge motors on them. I am hoping that they will work well for midbass, but i will keep my eye on these daytons. I will probably still get the dayton tweeter that i linked on the first page.