PDA

View Full Version : I need a new Home theater setup

99gtxgolfer
02-18-2007, 02:48 PM
I want to spend about $500, its not much but that is whati have to work with...i Have a 42" HItachi Plasma TV http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1142293092238

This is what i have right now... http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1138084939898

i need A. Surround Sound (i was thinking 5.1( three in front two in back and Subwoofer)) B. The reciever needs to have at least one HDMI input, and need to have enough inputs so i can plug in my Desktop, PS2, XBOX 360, Comcast HD Cable box.

PLEASE HELP ME!! i dont know very much about Home Audio...
anything will help

JimJ
02-18-2007, 02:52 PM
I still don't get the logic in spending thousands on a 42" plasma yet cheaping out on the audio...

Scoobydoo
02-18-2007, 03:14 PM
i agree, save up and buy something decent instead of ruining a nice viewing experience with crappy audio

99gtxgolfer
02-18-2007, 03:15 PM
bc i spent thousands on the plasma...id rather have An amazing picture and ok sound. then have amazing sound and an ok picture

but im deff gunna wait a lil i just need suggestion on what i need...

99gtxgolfer
02-18-2007, 03:17 PM
i agree, save up and buy something decent instead of ruining a nice viewing experience with crappy audio

im trying to figure out what that somthing is...suggestions...

Scoobydoo
02-18-2007, 03:35 PM
my suggestion is don't buy a $500 HTIB, get a dedicated mid range receiver and speakers

Denon
Onkyo
Paradigm
B&W
Outlaw Audio

etc...

Max_Power
02-18-2007, 04:24 PM
Look into the low range receivers from companies like onkyo, denon, harmon kardon. and yamaha. They will provide a better basis for sound quality than a similar priced pioneer or sony. These units will appear to have lower wattage ratings than the sony or pioneer, but in reality they might actually have more in real world applications. Most of the low range units from these companies can be had for around $300.

for speakers I suggest a matched set of 5.1 surround speakers. This way they are usually cheaper and at least you will have a matched sound field. Look into companies like Energy, Paradigm, Definitive Tech, Atlantic Tech, Polk Audio, Velodyne, JBL, and maybe even one from Yamaha. With my experience STAY AWAY FROM BOSE....they ****, and charge way too much for too little.

If you must skimp on something let it NOT be the subwoofer or the .1 of the 5.1 system. Bass in great quality is better than in great quanity. remember that, because you will be happier in the long run.

If you want the ease or if you are a penny pincher Onkyo makes a great HTiB (Home theater in a box). It gives you a fully matched reciever, 5 - 7 speakers, and a great little subwoofer. My dad bought this for his house, and for how little he paid for it I was impressed. It is by far the best sounding HTiB I have ever heard. Last I checked Harmon Kardon had a similar priced set also. Sometimes at the local best buy or circuit city they run sales on speakers and recievers.

Other than the Onkyo HTiB I don't think you will be able to stay below 500 dollars for a budget. Great sound in my opinion is worth a hefty price tag, especially when it comes to movies.

Onkyo HTiB Link:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onkyo-Home-Theater-System-HT-S790/sem/rpsm/oid/148967/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Hope it helps!! Feel free to pm me if you have any more questions. or ask here.:D :D

j3bus2k3
02-18-2007, 04:31 PM
Go on parts express. They carry pioneer and Pioneer Elite receivers now. Pick up one of them, and one of their kits through the project showcase. That should be infinitly better than any HTiaB...

99gtxgolfer
02-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Look into the low range receivers from companies like onkyo, denon, harmon kardon. and yamaha. They will provide a better basis for sound quality than a similar priced pioneer or sony. These units will appear to have lower wattage ratings than the sony or pioneer, but in reality they might actually have more in real world applications. Most of the low range units from these companies can be had for around $300.

for speakers I suggest a matched set of 5.1 surround speakers. This way they are usually cheaper and at least you will have a matched sound field. Look into companies like Energy, Paradigm, Definitive Tech, Atlantic Tech, Polk Audio, Velodyne, JBL, and maybe even one from Yamaha. With my experience STAY AWAY FROM BOSE....they ****, and charge way too much for too little.

If you must skimp on something let it NOT be the subwoofer or the .1 of the 5.1 system. Bass in great quality is better than in great quanity. remember that, because you will be happier in the long run.

If you want the ease or if you are a penny pincher Onkyo makes a great HTiB (Home theater in a box). It gives you a fully matched reciever, 5 - 7 speakers, and a great little subwoofer. My dad bought this for his house, and for how little he paid for it I was impressed. It is by far the best sounding HTiB I have ever heard. Last I checked Harmon Kardon had a similar priced set also. Sometimes at the local best buy or circuit city they run sales on speakers and recievers.

Other than the Onkyo HTiB I don't think you will be able to stay below 500 dollars for a budget. Great sound in my opinion is worth a hefty price tag, especially when it comes to movies.

Onkyo HTiB Link:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onkyo-Home-Theater-System-HT-S790/sem/rpsm/oid/148967/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Hope it helps!! Feel free to pm me if you have any more questions. or ask here.:D :D

Thanks alot man ill prolly get ahold of you later when i figure out exactly what i need. you seem like you know what your talkin about....thanks

1loudsuv
02-18-2007, 09:01 PM
if you have any doubt you will not be happy with what you get dont get it....

i bought a htib like 5 months ago for $409 plus tax... i knew in the back of my mind i would buy new speakers and possibly a receiver in the near future but i still bought it and regret it.

i sold just recently for $110....that was without the speakers just the receiver but huge loss i should of saved my money instead....

joetama
02-20-2007, 07:20 PM
I still don't get the logic in spending thousands on a 42" plasma yet cheaping out on the audio...

:laugh:

Well, I went crazy and spent thousands on both...

1loudsuv
02-20-2007, 08:05 PM
:laugh:

Well, I went crazy and spent thousands on both...

x2 here at first i just got the tv which was $3,500 then i thought i was happy with sd picture but wasnt so i got an hd-dvd player that was $500 and now another 2 grand in hd-dvds and still wasnt happy so i spent about the same on audio so about 10 grand and i still aint close to being done

JimJ
02-20-2007, 08:15 PM
Media doesn't count :)

1loudsuv
02-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Media doesn't count :)

it does when its hd :yumyum: and when ive spent that in less then 4 months lol

plus the 10 grand doesnt include wiring surgeprotector and remote