PDA

View Full Version : Riddle me This.

twinkieC405
02-18-2007, 11:05 AM
Car is a Bmw 325is ('95 btw)
HU is a Sony gt-510.

I have both harnesses for them, yesterday was the second time i tried to install the HU. I soldered both harnesses together so i know the connections are PERFECT but the problem is there is no memory. After hours of trying different things my friend and i narrowed it down to two wires that were causing the problem, the continuous power and the 12v memory wire.

When both are connected with the correct wires on both harnesses theres power but no memory, when all 4 wires are connected theres power but no memory, we tried all the combinations but never any memory. The last thing we tried was skipping the harnesses and going right from the HU to the wiring in the car and it didnt do anything.

Please give me some ideas, i've tried two different harnesses both were brand new and have gotten nothing but a HU that resets itself everytime the car is turned off.

azbass
02-18-2007, 11:12 AM
just run a new constant and switched from another source to the hu.

sxpimpin
02-18-2007, 11:13 AM
I'd just run the 12+ to the memory.
Works for me

twinkieC405
02-18-2007, 11:17 AM
just run a new constant and switched from another source to the hu.

interesting, i may have to do that. think that will cure the memory problem?

twinkieC405
02-18-2007, 11:18 AM
I'd just run the 12+ to the memory.
Works for me

i did but still no memory.

it seems like any way i hook it up, i either: 1. dont have power; or 2. have power but no memory.

twinkieC405
02-18-2007, 11:49 AM
heres a pic to explain what im talking about. its the most unusual thing, unless im just overlooking the obvious.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/files/989696_zrxtn/idk%20010.jpg

pwnt by pat
02-18-2007, 11:53 AM
+12v has to go to a constant 12v or else you'll have no memory....

twinkieC405
02-18-2007, 11:55 AM
+12v has to go to a constant 12v or else you'll have no memory....

and i think we had it setup like that. we took the HU and put it in my buddies SAME exact car, and it worked perfectly and so did the memory. it works in one but not the other, confusing...very.

twinkieC405
02-18-2007, 04:52 PM
so im guessing running a completely separate continuous power line should fix it.

mokedaddy
02-18-2007, 05:00 PM
Do you have a dmm or regular analog volt meter or even a test light? If so test to see what wire has a constant 12 volts with the car off. It should be the yellow wire from the factory car harness. If that does not read 12V than chances are it is a blown fuse somewhere.

twinkieC405
02-18-2007, 05:44 PM
Do you have a dmm or regular analog volt meter or even a test light? If so test to see what wire has a constant 12 volts with the car off. It should be the yellow wire from the factory car harness. If that does not read 12V than chances are it is a blown fuse somewhere.

i think both of the test lights were shot that we used lol. we checked fuses and everything but it all checked out ok. this is why its so confusing, im not a newb when it comes to car audio but i've never been stuck in a situation like this. im going to test the factory harness and if that doesnt check out im throwin in the towel and running an new 12v wire.

Ctminime
02-18-2007, 05:51 PM
before i read the last post i was 2 seconds from saying check fuses... but man i dont know what is causing ure problem.... i install aftermarket stereos in Bmws all the time at work man.... i have never had any problems like this.... has to be somthing faulty in the wiring....

twinkieC405
02-18-2007, 05:59 PM
thats what im thinking. you think spending the money on a nice car you'd avoid problems like this. [kicks self in face]

i do love my car but this is becoming a headache, especially when i spent WADS for money on all this DLS stuff and i cant even save my EQ settings on my new HU.

/rant