PDA

View Full Version : mounting speakers in the box

ructwenty2
01-25-2003, 03:46 PM
how exactly do you secure the subs in the hole in the box?

evo2k3
01-25-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by ructwenty2

lol...ummmmm screws! and opitional silicon / foam gastket.

ryan_feine
02-11-2003, 09:45 PM
yes screws dont use silicone cualking it can eat away your surround on your subs and subs have a rubber gasket and screw cover up most of the time as long as you screw it down good that should seal it plenty well in most cases although sometimes maybe not

evo2k3
02-11-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by ryan_feine
yes screws dont use silicone cualking it can eat away your surround on your subs and subs have a rubber gasket and screw cover up most of the time as long as you screw it down good that should seal it plenty well in most cases although sometimes maybe not

what the hell are you talking about, how is a bead of silicon on the metal lip going to eat away at the surrond? no different than putting silicon inside the box to seal it -- thats an absolutley air tight seal, pretty perminant though--thats the down side.

Randy Savage
02-12-2003, 12:01 AM
A gasket will have absolutely no effect on the sub or the perfoarmance at all...unless it isnt air tight...

ryan_feine
02-12-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by evo2k3
what the hell are you talking about, how is a bead of silicon on the metal lip going to eat away at the surrond? no different than putting silicon inside the box to seal it -- thats an absolutley air tight seal, pretty perminant though--thats the down side.
fumes produced by the silicone while it i sin liquid form are slightly corosive and its just enought to cuase suround damage

evo2k3
02-12-2003, 12:07 AM
most manufacters have changed their ways to prevent this (JL, adire, RE, ect), not to mention that would only occur during the curing proccess, with such a small amount even if it were currosive to the surrond it your not going to see it eat away at the surrond -- there is no problem with a bead, not a glob, or a tube, just a small bead to seel it in -- of cource, as I said, a gasket or the seal between carpet/vinle and the lip is air tight, but if your sealing to fiberglass and have to intentions of removing the sub often, silicon works well.

ryan_feine
02-12-2003, 12:12 AM
but depending on which subs you have id rather be safe than sorry some people buy ****** stuff and do stupid thigs with it some people think its like a contest to get everything right im just saying it can happen and even a little damage now ends up to be alot later after alot of pounding and abuse

ryan_feine
02-12-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Jmac
I always use weatherstripping around the speaker hole ...
im cheap i havent bought any kind of sound dampening material i just sealed my tunk with thick high density weather stripping and packed towels around things like spare and jack it works pretty good

bowtiefan
02-12-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by ructwenty2

T-nuts work very well,especially if you're going to be removing the sub alot