PDA

View Full Version : best 6.5 component speakers

kool9accord
02-17-2007, 10:00 PM
if price wasnt an issue, what would you say is the best speakers?

zSnb
02-17-2007, 10:57 PM
most people on here have not even had the chance to hear the speakers that cost 7k or more. is price really not an issue???

konechiwa
02-17-2007, 11:08 PM
this thread =:beathors:

Gary S
02-18-2007, 03:06 AM
The best speakers are nothing without the best system design, install, tunning, and speakers placement.

But I would look at a three-way system or horns. I don't know which ones... I don't bother looking at speakers that I can't get for $250 or less at wholesale prices anymore... it's an issue of diminishing returns... once you get above a certain point, every time you double your money, any realized performance gains are so small it's not worth it.

MBrock4u
02-18-2007, 05:49 AM
Very good point Gary. Although a couple of months ago I got to hear a set of high doller Boston's. They sounded absolutly amazing, but they wanted a arm and a leg for them. No way I would pay that kind of money for them no matter how good they sounded.

kool9accord
02-18-2007, 12:41 PM
focal utopia is what i had in mind but ****, they are expensive. I guess price is an issue:) , but i just wanted to see what yall had to say. I was also think about the diamond audio d9 components speakers. what yall think of those

kool9accord
02-18-2007, 12:42 PM
the reason i ask so much questions is because im not really familiar w/ car audio, and would really like to see whats out there that i dont know

JimJ
02-18-2007, 12:44 PM
Those Audio Technology C-Quenze 7's look interesting...$300 per mid, I'd like to hear what they can do :)

chucku
02-18-2007, 06:12 PM
The hifonics comps with the blue lit drivers.:p: Add a profile amp and a dual hu, finish it off with a $40 ab(used)15''maw sub, run off a 10000000 watt hifonics brutal ****in golitah of an amp @ .000000001 ohm !!!!!!! :laugh:

alteraudiousa
02-18-2007, 06:49 PM
D9 i wouldn't put as one of the higher end comps set. Good but nothing too exciting for a high end set. Hertz Mille, Focal Utopia Be, the Zapco Competition line speakers, some of the new CDT ES drivers are quite nice(not crazy high end), Seas, and DLS. Alot will depend on how the install is done. I mean look at the alpine demo vehicles. Never a huge fan of Alpine speakers but in that install they sound darn nice.

rlcowboy
02-18-2007, 08:25 PM
I agree with Alter about the d9 not being really a high end speaker. The Alpine type X line of speakers r nice, I gave them some consideration before going with the Jl XR's, both are VERY similar. The JL's & the Alpine type X r both a little over $400 for a set of 6.5 comps but you can get both the JL's & the Alpines for $200, brand new, on Ebay. I would say both of those are just starting to get into your high end. It really comes down to what YOU like & how much you want to spend!! Some other high end speakers I like is the MB Quart Q-line,JL ZR'S,Rainbow's high end line, and probably some of the best sounding is the Focal Utopia's. The of course is more but those are some that I have listened to and really like. Don't buy speakers according to what other tell you they like, go around & do some comparing. Good luck!

purerx7tt
02-18-2007, 11:14 PM
rainbow references or gensis absolutes.... thread over

Hebrew Hammer
02-18-2007, 11:38 PM
Those Audio Technology C-Quenze 7's look interesting...$300 per mid, I'd like to hear what they can do :)

Bingo...the finest drivers in the world IMO and the only drivers I'll ever use...the 18h's with the ring rev...nothing on the planet can touch it...no rainbow ref...no genny stuff no focal be.....NOTHING....trust me I've owned them all

leonsv
02-19-2007, 01:24 AM
Bingo...the finest drivers in the world IMO and the only drivers I'll ever use...the 18h's with the ring rev...nothing on the planet can touch it...no rainbow ref...no genny stuff no focal be.....NOTHING....trust me I've owned them all

i thought they were just beefed up dynaudio woofers... hmm...

anyways, i really like the seas excel nextel + hiquphon owI combo...

i just do not see the point of paying too much for car speakers...it's not a very good environment for audio and theres always the theft factor

djdilliodon
02-19-2007, 11:09 AM
The best speakers are the ones that sound best to you :)

Hebrew Hammer
02-19-2007, 12:09 PM
i thought they were just beefed up dynaudio woofers... hmm...

anyways, i really like the seas excel nextel + hiquphon owI combo...

i just do not see the point of paying too much for car speakers...it's not a very good environment for audio and theres always the theft factor

my good friend and fellow zapco teammate kirk profit who is a multi IASCA and MECA world champ who had the SEAS nextel/ SEAS metal ref combo...just switched over to the audio techs "that I sent him" and after a little break in time, he's told me that is such a night and day difference that everything he has heard to day in his car has been wrong...

Hebrew Hammer
02-19-2007, 12:10 PM
The best speakers are the ones that sound best to you :)

that's until you here what you have been missing....

djdilliodon
02-19-2007, 01:31 PM
that's until you here what you have been missing....

so true, It never ends :(

Railrocker
02-19-2007, 01:35 PM
so true, It never ends :(

What kind are you running now?

You still running CDT?

djdilliodon
02-19-2007, 01:46 PM
What kind are you running now?

You still running CDT?

Had a 3 way morel active setup for awhile and loved it but now back to running some new cdt gear and love these. No matter how happy i ever am with a set i always find myself doing new setups. To be honest just like to try new things :)

Here-I-Come
02-19-2007, 04:41 PM
my good friend and fellow zapco teammate kirk profit who is a multi IASCA and MECA world champ who had the SEAS nextel/ SEAS metal ref combo...just switched over to the audio techs "that I sent him" and after a little break in time, he's told me that is such a night and day difference that everything he has heard to day in his car has been wrong...

Making my want to spend more money! Really!

Hebrew Hammer
02-19-2007, 05:08 PM
Making my want to spend more money! Really!

Mark you know you want to bro.....:naughty:

leonsv
02-19-2007, 05:36 PM

wow... that must sound amazing... I wish i had a grand to spend on just mid woofers :( But i'm still skeptical as whether the difference would be 'day and night'. maybe he just liked the sound of the audio techs better...i'm hearing that their sound is veeery much like the dynaudio woofers. So maybe he just likes the more neutral tone and forgiving nature that they have (i'm basing this on what i like about dynaudios) or maybe he was playing a bad recording (the excels are very revealing). Either way, they seem like a great set, if they are really what they crack out to be, then they are a bargain compared to utopia be's rainbow refs, absolutes and such. I'll do a bit more research on them

Gary S
02-19-2007, 05:44 PM

What is he using for midrange? The Skaaning looks like a midbass driver.

I remember Skaaning now... I believe he was the founder of Dynaudio... I suppose you could think of the skaaning drivers as next generation Dynaudio.

leonsv
02-19-2007, 05:55 PM

I remember Skaaning now... I believe he was the founder of Dynaudio... I suppose you could think of the skaaning drivers as next generation Dynaudio.

you can use them for midrange/midbass :)

Hebrew Hammer
02-19-2007, 05:57 PM
wow... that must sound amazing... I wish i had a grand to spend on just mid woofers :( But i'm still skeptical as whether the difference would be 'day and night'. maybe he just liked the sound of the audio techs better...i'm hearing that their sound is veeery much like the dynaudio woofers. So maybe he just likes the more neutral tone and forgiving nature that they have (i'm basing this on what i like about dynaudios) or maybe he was playing a bad recording (the excels are very revealing). Either way, they seem like a great set, if they are really what they crack out to be, then they are a bargain compared to utopia be's rainbow refs, absolutes and such. I'll do a bit more research on them

you can't speculate sound...assumption is a bad thing...no they sound nothing like dyns, other than their midbass response...tonaly in the midrange, they are just perfect...

Hebrew Hammer
02-19-2007, 05:58 PM

Yes that was his dad...who also co founded scanspeak...so consider it in that the audio techs are the best of both...

I have my 15h's in my kicks with 480's watts to them playing from 3500-40hz....and they love it

WhoSayWho?
02-19-2007, 06:06 PM
you can't speculate sound...assumption is a bad thing...no they sound nothing like dyns, other than their midbass response...tonaly in the midrange, they are just perfect...

Actually, I am one of the very few people that can do just that. I don't know why, it's just a gift from above so I am not going to question it.

leonsv
02-19-2007, 06:15 PM

yes assumptions are bad so i did some research and read up on a couple reliable sources.

http://zaphaudio.com/6.5test/

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5619

anyways, i'll try to listen to some myself

Hebrew Hammer
02-19-2007, 06:33 PM
yes assumptions are bad so i did some research and read up on a couple reliable sources.

zaph always structures his with preformance vs price...bottom line is...that no matter what the price...if it's better than it's better....also...he's got the wrong price so there is an issue whit that...

and DIY...well I'm not going to go there....

Gary S
02-19-2007, 08:24 PM

- When I opened that Zaph Audio link, I had to call my girlfriend over to wipe the drool from my chin :D

JimJ
02-19-2007, 08:47 PM
I've got some plans for floorstanders with the Skaaning mids, Hiquphon OW-II's and Seas 8" PR's :D

Some day...maybe after I go through the BIB phase...:)

leonsv
02-19-2007, 09:24 PM
zaph always structures his with preformance vs price...bottom line is...that no matter what the price...if it's better than it's better....also...he's got the wrong price so there is an issue whit that...

and DIY...well I'm not going to go there....

what's wrong with diy?? just wondering....

SQChevy
02-21-2007, 11:11 AM
I love my Focal Be's and haven't heard anything yet that sounds better to me. According to the USACI judges they were best for a consumer at World Finals. Not to mention my truck still needs some tuning to sound its best. It is going to be getting a months worth of tuning soon I hope.