PDA

View Full Version : Good Mids?

Hintzyboy
02-17-2007, 06:01 PM
I was looking at picking up a set of AA Poly Mids, but with the company in the middle of a merger, that doesn't look to be happening any time soon.

Can anyone please suggest a set of 6.5" mids that would compliment a set of Rainbow CAL25ALK tweets? Budget matters, but I'll narrow down the choices in that aspect myself. Please just suggest any good mids that will be on par with these tweeters.

///M5
02-17-2007, 08:55 PM
Drive over to Madisound and audition a few...

slick rick
02-18-2007, 12:39 PM
Germanium mids...:hide:

theCybe
02-18-2007, 01:32 PM
That's going to depend on what you're using as a filter.

Schuey2002
02-18-2007, 03:28 PM
Germanium mids...:hide:
Or Profi/Vanadium Kick mids. Maybe some Dayton Refs or Seas.... :yumyum:

alteraudiousa
02-18-2007, 04:43 PM
Dayton Ref or CDT M6 or HD-6

Hintzyboy
02-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Drive over to Madisound and audition a few...

I didn't think they were an actual shop.
I thought they were just one of those warehouse things with a sales website.

loud-n-low
02-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Crystal sscs

dleccord
02-18-2007, 11:59 PM
Crystal sscs

can you order parts from crystal?

Schuey2002
02-19-2007, 02:10 AM
Maybe a dealer will sell you just a set of the mids?

Hintzyboy
02-19-2007, 01:36 PM
I might look into the Germanium Mids. I'm sure Don could sell me a set.

Schuey2002
02-19-2007, 02:55 PM
Since he is getting me a set of SLC Kick mids, I am sure that he can get some Germ mids for ya'.. ;)

POLKAT
02-19-2007, 04:36 PM
I have the same exact tweets that I bought from 6spdcoupe a few weeks ago. I am going to match them with some 7" Peerless Exclusives. The only problem is that everyone is out of stock (madisound, meniscus, timbreaudioonline) so I am having to wait until March 5th to get them.
For a second choice I would look at seas although you will have to stay away from the metal cone version's since the Cal25Alks will only go down to 2.3k or so according to Don. There is an excellent review of many 6.5-7 inch drivers here. Take a look: http://www.zaphaudio.com/6.5test/

Hintzyboy
02-19-2007, 05:53 PM
I like alot of the drivers listed in that comparo, but many of them are 8 ohm drivers, which doesn't really work for me. So here are my options:

-Some kind of Rainbow Mid (will have to talk it out with Don before i choose which model)

-Dayton Reference RS180

-Adire Audio Extremis 6.4

-Wait for more AA Polys

-Perhaps a set of RE XXX mids if I can find any for a decent price

POLKAT
02-19-2007, 06:05 PM
I like alot of the drivers listed in that comparo, but many of them are 8 ohm drivers, which doesn't really work for me.

I'm not the best at explaining it so I'll link this.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31

Bottom line: don't be concerned about 4ohm vs. 8 ohm. It's more complicated than that.

Hintzyboy
02-20-2007, 06:32 PM
The only reason I care about 4ohm vs 8 ohm is that my amp only puts out 75w RMS per channel at 4 ohms. Many of the drivers I looked at have 100w RMS ratings, which means i would be giving the speaker around 1/3 of it's RMS if I used an 8 ohm driver.

I understand that I don't need to give the speakers their full RMS ratings, but I don't want to underpower them that much.

mattmcss
02-20-2007, 06:38 PM
IDQ6 mids ?

Hintzyboy
02-21-2007, 12:04 PM
I like the looks of the CX62 and CX 64 Midbasses. Depending on price, the 64s might be what I'm looking for.

Hintzyboy
02-21-2007, 12:07 PM
$189 authorized from Woofersetc. Not too shabby. I think I've found what to spend my tax money on, lol.

Hintzyboy
02-22-2007, 02:37 PM
So has anyone on here used the Image Dynamics CX mids or the Chameleon comps. I doubt anything from ID is going to be bad, but would like to hear from someone who has experienced these things first-hand.

phyphoestilic
02-22-2007, 02:40 PM
So has anyone on here used the Image Dynamics CX mids or the Chameleon comps. I doubt anything from ID is going to be bad, but would like to hear from someone who has experienced these things first-hand.

If u have the time/money they are comming out with a new component set w/ new mids that are suppose to be alot better. But not avalible for public till April.

phyphoestilic
02-22-2007, 02:41 PM
IDQ6 mids ?

hard to find :crap:

Hintzyboy
02-22-2007, 02:42 PM
If u have the time/money they are comming out with a new component set w/ new mids that are suppose to be alot better. But not avalible for public till April.

Will they be selling the mids separately? I'm going active, and have my tweeters, so i don't need a Xover or tweets.

phyphoestilic
02-22-2007, 02:46 PM
Will they be selling the mids separately? I'm going active, and have my tweeters, so i don't need a Xover or tweets.

They should, since they are selling the mid's from the charmelon's seperate right now anyways.

duno if u can really see, Nice to see them make 6x9 and 5x7 component sets.

http://imagedynamicsusa.com/forum/userpix/4_XS_Component_Flyer_FRONT_1.jpg
http://imagedynamicsusa.com/forum/userpix/4_XS_Component_Flyer_BACK_1.jpg

New subs as well

http://imagedynamicsusa.com/forum/userpix/4_IDQ_Flyer_FRONT_1.jpg
http://imagedynamicsusa.com/forum/userpix/4_IDQ_Flyer_BACK_1.jpg

Hintzyboy
02-22-2007, 03:16 PM
Soonest I'd be able to install would be Spring Break anyway. Not that big of a deal.

phyphoestilic
02-22-2007, 03:19 PM
One of the guys whose testing the new components right now said that having 1 of the XS mids in his door was better then when he ran 2 CX mids. So I think it'd be worth the wait :p:

flakko
02-22-2007, 03:22 PM
I currently have the AA poly mids with a set of Rainbow CAL25ALK's and yea i tried them x'd over at 3500, the poly mid cant go that high...music sounds empty. now i have them crossed over at 2100 (all passive), the tweets can't go that low. the music sounds much more full, but they break up BIG TIME when you play music with like a piano in it. im gonna get a set of XXX mids with those rainbows. i heard a set. they sound beautiful.

just my to cents

Hintzyboy
02-22-2007, 03:56 PM
Well, Don said the ALKs go down to 2800 Hz, so I need to find a set of mids that can comfortably play up to 3kHz. I'd like a set of XXX Mids, but it's $650 for a set of XXX comps on woofersetc. That's too much for me to use half the stuff that comes with the set, and I don't know where to get just the mids. I don't have an RE dealer anywhere near me and don't know who deals on the forum here.

POLKAT
02-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Well, Don said the ALKs go down to 2800 Hz, so I need to find a set of mids that can comfortably play up to 3kHz. I'd like a set of XXX Mids, but it's $650 for a set of XXX comps on woofersetc. That's too much for me to use half the stuff that comes with the set, and I don't know where to get just the mids. I don't have an RE dealer anywhere near me and don't know who deals on the forum here.

I bought my ALK's from Don on DIYMA.com. In the thread and via pm he said they can go down to 2.5k and even a little lower than that.
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8548&page=2&pp=10

I pm'd him to confirm that they can go that low since no literature came with them in the box and the cal25 alk's specs aren't on Rainbow's site. :confused:

JimJ
02-22-2007, 04:43 PM
Seas CA18RNX's?

or SS Rev's if you want to blow the budget...

:D

Hintzyboy
02-22-2007, 04:50 PM
I like those Seas units, but they're 8 ohm drivers, so I'd only be sending them about half RMS.

Hintzyboy
02-22-2007, 04:54 PM
Does anybody know of authorized RE dealers on here I can contact? I emailed Woofersetc for their best price on the XXX comps, but I'd rather not pay for the tweets and the Xovers just to have them sit around collectiong dust.

Hintzyboy
02-22-2007, 05:05 PM
So I just checked RE's website, and the closest dealer to me is more than 2 hours away. looks like the internet is my only hope:crying:

///M5
02-22-2007, 05:18 PM
I like those Seas units, but they're 8 ohm drivers, so I'd only be sending them about half RMS.

You didn't read the link that was posted before. Your no 8ohm argument is stupid.

Hintzyboy
02-22-2007, 05:34 PM
You didn't read the link that was posted before. Your no 8ohm argument is stupid.

I read the whole thing ********. It taught me nothing I didn't already understand fairly well. Regardless of how efficient the 8 ohm drivers may be, the manufacturers still give a recommended power value for them. In all the cases I looked at, I could only give the 8 ohm drivers about half of the recommended power. I honestly don't see how not wanting to underpower my equipment is stupid. Please refrain from posting in this thread unless you have something constructive to add.

JimJ
02-22-2007, 05:38 PM
I'm sending my 100W-rated Klipsch's 8 watts...you want to ask my neighbor how loud they can get? :D Being worried about "underpowering" the speakers is not a valid concern, period.

There's nothing wrong with sending them half the rated power...I used to think the same thing, but the DIYMA link was pretty educational.

And the attitude is not needed, thank you.

Hintzyboy
02-22-2007, 05:55 PM
Whatever, I felt that he gave attitude first, and that is was my right as the OP to return his sentiments. If you disagree, fine. I won't argue because you're a moderator and I appreciate my privelages as a member of this forum. I'm not at all interested in getting this thread removed or getting banned from the forum.

With that out of the way, lets get on with the thread.

My amp puts out 75w per channel at 4 ohms, 115 at 2 ohms. I will most likely be putting these in my doors until I get a new car this summer as I don't feel like building kicks for an install that will only be around for 6 months. So, all things considered, which would yuou buy:

-RE XXX Mids
-Seas CA18RNX
-ID CX64
-Peerless HDS 830883
-Seas P18RNXP
-Rainbow Germanium Mids

I realize there is a wide range of prices here. Just suggest what you think would be best for the application. If you have any other suggestions, please post them.

JimJ
02-22-2007, 07:53 PM
I haven't heard the Germs, but a lot of people use them and like them...so I'd think they'd be worthy of consideration.

The Seas drivers are both highly recommended from the DIY community, but out of those two, I'd probably go with the CA's, for a little better midbass response...

My vote would be either for the Germs or CA18RNX's :)

alphakenny1
02-22-2007, 08:43 PM
why not the daytons reference mids? i didn't read the whole thread.

also the RNX line from the seas i quite nice in the midbass department. You should checkout the L18rnx, P18rnx, and also the G18rnx as well.

JimJ
02-22-2007, 08:44 PM
His tweeters don't cross low enough for the L18's to become feasible...he needs the extra frequency extension the CA's or the poly cones offer.

///M5
02-23-2007, 12:14 AM
I read the whole thing ********. It taught me nothing I didn't already understand fairly well. Regardless of how efficient the 8 ohm drivers may be, the manufacturers still give a recommended power value for them. In all the cases I looked at, I could only give the 8 ohm drivers about half of the recommended power. I honestly don't see how not wanting to underpower my equipment is stupid. Please refrain from posting in this thread unless you have something constructive to add.

It was constructive, if you had read and understood that thread underpowering wouldn't be your concern. Recommended power are max ratings and you don't need to get near them on many speakers to get loud.

For what you have and want to do, the CA's are definitely one of the best solutions you could choose.