PDA

View Full Version : sealed box for home theater?

Etac
02-16-2007, 03:42 PM
almost every enclosure i see for home audio is ported/vented... i wanna build my own but was just curious how a sealed would sound cause i also use this setup for music as well...

also if i did decide to build a vented.. since i have carpeted floor and can't make it downward firing... i know room acoustics play a part but do you ppl have any suggestions on which way to face the cone and the vent? (opposite/same dir?)

Rich B
02-16-2007, 03:48 PM
almost every enclosure i see for home audio is ported/vented... i wanna build my own but was just curious how a sealed would sound cause i also use this setup for music as well...

Most high end home theater subs have sealed enclosures.

All the top Velodyne's do, so do the new HT subs from JL Audio.

Mugen
02-16-2007, 03:51 PM
Ported/Vented is just as good as sealed when done properly, and since you generally don't have space requirements in a house, why not build a well designed ported box that gives you more bass? Also, you can generally get much better low-end (upper 20hz) from ported enclosures.

LoudCrownVic
02-16-2007, 03:51 PM
How would 3 12" JL w6's sealed sound as a HT sub? With the 1024watt dayton amp?

Mugen
02-16-2007, 03:52 PM
How would 3 12" JL w6's sealed sound as a HT sub? With the 1024watt dayton amp?

Loud and purty :naughty:

JimJ
02-16-2007, 03:53 PM
since i have carpeted floor and can't make it downward firing

Why not?

JimJ
02-16-2007, 03:54 PM
Also, for next time, post in the right section :)

LoudCrownVic
02-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Loud and purty :naughty:

LOLZ! Yeah, my parents are putting together a HT... :yumyum: I get to build all the boxes etc and they pay for all the drivers etc. :cool:

Etac
02-16-2007, 04:57 PM
lol sorry didnt see the home audio section... at least i didnt post it in the car audio one ;)

and bout the carpeted floor.. everywhere i read online said not to do that and did some test and i have to agree but on a hardwood floor, sounds nice...

and this is off topic from this post but when i went shopping for subs.. every one here makes fun of sony... apparently they never heard accurian ;)

Beat_Dominator
02-16-2007, 05:08 PM
Sealed is fine as long as the sub you use can move a lot of air. You'll need more power to get the same dB level between sealed and ported.

thylantyr
02-16-2007, 05:21 PM

They don't necessarily do this because it's superior in performance, they do
this to make smaller product that is easier to sell than a big EBS sub that
has potential to give you much higher performance down in the 20hz range. :)

i wanna build my own
Budget?
Skill level?
SPL level you want?
Kill maim or destroy, lol ?

bri487
02-16-2007, 05:30 PM

my velodyne SPL-R series is sealed and it wangs like a mother ****er. bass so low the fac of the TV shakes, with music. clean, tight, and loud. no need for a ported enclosure. i have a ported klipsh that sounds monotone compared to the velodyne. gets way loud on certain notes though, but i still hate it.

chargers
02-20-2007, 01:48 AM
I have a 15" avalanche in a 2.5^3ft sealed box. Is this box HT ready or will I need a larger size box? I was thinking about buying a low tuned ported box for HT use, but if I can just use what I have then I will stick with it in the future.

What is actually better for HT, sealed or ported?

adam71
02-20-2007, 05:43 AM
my velodyne SPL-R series is sealed and it wangs like a mother ****er. bass so low the fac of the TV shakes, with music. clean, tight, and loud. no need for a ported enclosure. i have a ported klipsh that sounds monotone compared to the velodyne. gets way loud on certain notes though, but i still hate it.

I have a Velodyne F 1000 that is sealed with a 10" driver and an 80 watt internal amp. I have it in a corner and I have more bass then I thought I'd ever need. It's only weakness is that it struggles out in the middle of the room.

Oh and did I mention I've had it since '94.

adam71
02-20-2007, 05:46 AM
I have a 15" avalanche in a 2.5^3ft sealed box. Is this box HT ready or will I need a larger size box? I was thinking about buying a low tuned ported box for HT use, but if I can just use what I have then I will stick with it in the future.

What is actually better for HT, sealed or ported?

It all depends on how much amplifier power you have to feed it and what application you're going to use it for mostly. Mostly movies or music too?? If you have sufficient power I would stay with the sealed. If you need more efficiency I would think about a ported box.

BTW.............sweet avatar.

IamDeMan
02-20-2007, 07:41 AM

What is actually better for HT, sealed or ported?Just build a large ported enclosure tuned between 16 - 18 hz for that beast. They make great ported HT subs. The enclosure for home is just like for the car. Neither is better in terms of end all performance. It depends on many factors. Budget, Size of room, Driver specs, Power, etc.

jdawg
02-20-2007, 09:05 AM
If you look at most home theater rooms that are designed just for HT most use huge sealed boxes with lots of drivers or go infinite baffle. When you buy a 12 or 15 already built they are usaully ported to get more output out of a smaller box.

chargers
02-20-2007, 01:05 PM
It all depends on how much amplifier power you have to feed it and what application you're going to use it for mostly. Mostly movies or music too?? If you have sufficient power I would stay with the sealed. If you need more efficiency I would think about a ported box.

BTW.............sweet avatar.
It'll be used heavily, usually every day:

40% games - (mainly guitar hero), very important
40% movies - very important
20% music - important, but not as much as movies or games

If I should use a sealed box, what size should I build? Like I said, I already have a 2.5 cubic foot box. Will my current box be fine?

Also, what kind of amp should I get for my sub and how many watts? I'm new to this, so I'll only be building a cheap 7.1 setup for less than $800 for my small bedroom.

jdawg
02-20-2007, 01:18 PM
Stick it in there and see how it sounds if you already have the box. As for an amp, check out some plate amps from PE. Just get the biggest one you can afford. http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?Webpage_ID=3&CAT_ID=43&ObjectGroup_ID=505 I for one though prefer to use a seperate power amp, like one that sits on your shelf with seperate processing.

Crown_amps
02-20-2007, 01:24 PM

ya but thats really pricey yo for what i payed my bass stage on my ht pleases me

all ya really need is a good plate amp and a ported box i have the EXTACT same sub [ differnt coil tho\]
ported is 1.5 cf @ 32 hz [read on medium size rooms you dont need to tune to 20hz]

and the sealed is 1.2 sealed front firing BOTH are still under the box size alpine says and i can really only listen to the ported on it still has a lot of sq due to the low power application of use

type s 12 and i HATE it sealed it ***** for music or movies sure it will be a lil more solid on punchy notes but i rather get looooooooooooooooooooooooooooow and still have a lil punch . :D

but thats just me i have never been a big fan of sealed boxes in general

bigbirney420
02-20-2007, 01:32 PM

Thats not true at all, I own a Velodyne and have had a Klipsch and Definitive Technology and they are all ported. Some of the really high end stuff like the Sunfire Cube and others use a Passive system, one side of cube has active sub and the opposite side will be passive but they are not sealed. Most HT subs are larger and ported, but tuned a lot lower.

chargers
02-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Stick it in there and see how it sounds if you already have the box. As for an amp, check out some plate amps from PE. Just get the biggest one you can afford. http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?Webpage_ID=3&CAT_ID=43&ObjectGroup_ID=505 I for one though prefer to use a seperate power amp, like one that sits on your shelf with seperate processing.
Ok.

As far as amps, I have been looking at the Partsexpress amps for a while and was looking at the 1000w and 500w amps. But the avalanche's is only 800wrms, will it be fine with 1000? Otherwise I will just stick with the 500w.

I did push the ava with as much as 1500wrms from a PG tantrum, but I am new to home audio and I want to be careful not to blow anything starting out.

bri487
02-20-2007, 01:42 PM
I have a Velodyne F 1000 that is sealed with a 10" driver and an 80 watt internal amp. I have it in a corner and I have more bass then I thought I'd ever need. It's only weakness is that it struggles out in the middle of the room.

Oh and did I mention I've had it since '94.

i lost the amp in mine, which was weird. it has the 1000 watt rms internal amp. sent it in to velodyne and they had it back within the week. awesome customer service.

with my sealed box, i too have way more bass than i need. it is always turned way down, and even at that it is wanging at appropriate times.

i got the bass dialed in to where you have no traces of it when there isnt supposed to be, no thunder when a door is slammed, no pounding when someone is walking on hardwood, no feedback when talking. that is something i have found it way harder to do with a ported enclosure in a home setup.

IamDeMan
02-20-2007, 05:49 PM
Ok.

As far as amps, I have been looking at the Partsexpress amps for a while and was looking at the 1000w and 500w amps. But the avalanche's is only 800wrms, will it be fine with 1000? Otherwise I will just stick with the 500w.

I did push the ava with as much as 1500wrms from a PG tantrum, but I am new to home audio and I want to be careful not to blow anything starting out.I'm sure the 1000 would be fine for that. (I have one for sale too)

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209438

adam71
02-20-2007, 06:08 PM
i got the bass dialed in to where you have no traces of it when there isnt supposed to be, no thunder when a door is slammed, no pounding when someone is walking on hardwood, no feedback when talking. that is something i have found it way harder to do with a ported enclosure in a home setup.

I have a friend that has the thundering car doors and POUNDING foot steps. Pounding foot steps would be ok in Jurassic Park but not if its just some guy walking across the room. HT bass is a much more exact science than most people think. I had to move my sub around a bunch of times before I found a happy medium for music and movies. Some locations were very efficient but turned out to be too much for music and sounded muddy. Some locations sounded nice and tight and accurate for music but lacked in low end impact for movies. I now have it just out of the corner and I'm getting the best that I can get for BOTH applications. It helps that it's servo-controlled. I have thought about getting a second sub that I just use for movies. Like one of those combos from Parts Express and I can put it where it has the most impact. Then I can put my Velodyne where it sounds the most accurate and use it for just music playback.

chargers
02-20-2007, 06:18 PM
I'm sure the 1000 would be fine for that. (I have one for sale too)

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209438
$300 seems way too much for me right now.. maybe if the price was a little lower.

But I am also watching an amp right now that might sell for less than $200 soon.

I'm nearly sold on building a new HT system. When I buy a new car, I'll get back into car audio.

jdawg
02-20-2007, 06:30 PM
What is the VC config of the Avalanche?

chargers
02-20-2007, 06:32 PM
What is the VC config of the Avalanche?
d2.

Will I have to get a d4 sub? If so, that will ****ing ****... and I probably won't make a HT system because I will be spending more money than I want to.

thylantyr
02-20-2007, 06:39 PM
Post your woofer T/S specs.

Add this amp to your list of candidates. Class D. ~ $250
http://www.thebuttkicker.com/buttkicker%20amplifier_home.html

Guts;
http://home.pacbell.net/lordpk/proamps/buttkicker.jpg

Recent review of the amp driving Brahma 15's.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=807801

chargers
02-20-2007, 06:50 PM
All avalanches are d2 and I have definitely seen them in at least three HT setups. So I don't think vc configuration matters with my ava, right?

I don't have the T/S specs and they are hard to find on this forum.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Edit: found a picture with a 12" ava:

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2253770&postcount=229

jdawg
02-20-2007, 06:55 PM
I was gonna recomend a Behringer EP1500, but honestly that may be a lil much power. One channel at 4ohms is around 700w. You will still need some external processing IMO to get the best out of the sub/amp so you may want to stick with a plate amp, which most have built in stuff.

jdawg
02-20-2007, 06:56 PM
All avalanches are d2 and I have definitely seen them in at least three HT setups. So I don't think vc configuration matters with my ava, right?

I don't have the T/S specs and they are hard to find on this forum.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Edit: found a picture with a 12" ava:

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2253770&postcount=229

I was aking about the VC config because it will have alot to determine what amp you get, I am not familiar with the Avalanche

chargers
02-20-2007, 07:02 PM
I was aking about the VC config because it will have alot to determine what amp you get, I am not familiar with the Avalanche
I see.. can you recommend an amp that does 500w-800w at 2 ohms that is around $200?

And I just noticed.. post 1,000 for me, lol.

jdawg
02-20-2007, 07:20 PM
Thats gonna be a lil tough. You say its for just your room right. Honestly I think even 500w you will never use. I have a 180w KLH amp I took out of a sub box i got off ebay for like $30 hooked up to my computer system just for gaming/music pc stuff on a MTX thunder 8000 and it knocks **** off the walls in the next room. Way more than enough for my bedroom.