PDA

View Full Version : Good router?

coolahan
02-16-2007, 03:49 AM
Price range is around $60.. what are some good ones?

but I've went to Harbor Freights Store and looked at this router (below).. didn't look to bad to me.. is it any good? I don't really know what to look for as far as options and stuff like that on them.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47937

~Magick_Man~
02-16-2007, 04:05 AM
it looks like a decent $40 router.
for basic round overs and hole cutting it should be sufficient.
i have personally had mixed results with chicago electric tools from HF.

~Magick_Man~

bjfish11
02-16-2007, 07:02 AM
The two HF routers I bought were absolute ****.

rpfuror
02-16-2007, 08:36 AM
The two HF routers I bought were absolute ****.

I tend to agree, you are not going t be happy with your results.

Also, you will end up spending more then that on a couple good bits.

Althought I haven't used one I would look at THIS (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=109589-353-1825&lpage=none), I have seen positive reviews and it can be used as a Fixed and Plunge router.

06stxf150
02-16-2007, 08:58 AM
Do you have a homedepot by you?I have a Ridgid router now (R2930)and it is awesome but I have used Ryobi in the past and for the money its not bad.Check out homedepot.com and check into Ryobi..............

lilmaniac2
02-16-2007, 09:03 AM
i used a 100 dollar craftsman for over a yea with no issue

DeuceLee
02-16-2007, 09:12 AM
PLEASE!!! spend the extra $50 or so and get a good one, you'll kick your @ss in the future because you'll end up spending $100+ for a good router anyways and that $60 junk router you bought was a waste...

craftsman is fine, even better would be something from makita/dewalt...

black&decker is decent too

phyphoestilic
02-16-2007, 09:27 AM
I tend to agree, you are not going t be happy with your results.

Also, you will end up spending more then that on a couple good bits.

Althought I haven't used one I would look at THIS (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=109589-353-1825&lpage=none), I have seen positive reviews and it can be used as a Fixed and Plunge router.

lol funny, the home depot sells the skills router for $30 cheaper

I've been looking at at the Ryobi 2HP router, I can't post home depot links for some reason

Any opinions?

UMGixxer
02-16-2007, 09:34 AM
check out sears for some craftsman routers

bjfish11
02-16-2007, 02:23 PM
My ryobi plunge router has worked AWESOME. Nearly a year old, and have had ZERO problems with it. Its a locking plunge router, so it can me used as a plunge or fixed router. Ran me $99 from Home Depot.

PV Audio
02-16-2007, 03:45 PM
A router, just like a table saw, is a precision tool. It isn't something that you should take the cheap route on, because you'll be displeased and will wind up spending more in the end. Save some money, and get a better one. I have a bosch one, comes with two bases, and I've had ZERO problems and cuts as well now as it did about a year ago. Flawless piece. If baseballer comes in here, he has the same one, so he might be able to give you a model number.

Flipx99
02-16-2007, 03:47 PM
I got a Makita. I like it very well.

PV Audio
02-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Ryobi, Makita, Porter Cable, Bosch, and Hitachi all make extremely good value for money routers. The other brands like Dremel, Black and Decker and Skil do make routers for very cheap, but they are just that. I had a skil before my Bosch (and surprisingly they are partner companies), and it was seriously night and day.

hoaxci5
02-16-2007, 07:09 PM
I bought the cheapest ryobi from HD and have done maybe 10 circle cuts in 3/4 mdf with no issues so far. I'd say for a hobbyist and non-pro it's fine.

helotaxi
02-16-2007, 08:17 PM
I have the Skil linked above with only the plunge base. Great router with one exception. The collet is part of the motor quill. If it starts to wear, which mine started doing pretty quickly, you have to replace the whole thing rather than just the collet. The Craftsman Professional router that I have mounted on my router table has a separate collet, has never had trouble with bits slipping, and came with both 1/4" and 1/2" collets. It was more expensive but has served me well.

PV Audio
02-16-2007, 08:32 PM
^^^ That was the problem with my Skil router, the collet literally expanded over 1/16th of an inch and got permanently stuck inside the router. Instead of getting it fixed, I just bought a new one. I think the problem was that the motor started going out, and it overheated. I dunno why it did, because I never gave it a huge load...but what's done is done.

helotaxi
02-16-2007, 09:03 PM
The problem mine has is not fixable the jaws of the collet and the motor spildle are a single piece of steel. Once the collet is worn the router is junk. It's served me well for about 3 years though so I can't really complain too much.