PDA

View Full Version : More sensitivity and less louder?

DoubleM
02-15-2007, 09:14 PM
Hi,

First off all, iīm sorry for by poor English, my i hope you understand me

Some years ago i had a good sound system in my car, but i sold that car, and today, on the "new" car, i only have a Pioneer DEH-3600MP headunit connected to a cheap Blaupunkt and Pioneer speakers.

The headunit outputs 27Wrms per channel. When i looked at speakers that came with the car, i saw that they are cheap ones, rated 20Wrms (the front ones) and 10Wrms (the rear ones). I supposed if i change that cheap speakers with a better ones, the sound will improve. Unfortunately iīve already tested a 3 or 4 sets of different speakers and all of them plays worse and less louder.

I supposed if i bought a high sensitivity speakers they play louder, but no.. I even tried with a 93dB speakers (Pioneer 6x9, 4 ways) and i must put the radio volume almost in max and they doesnīt play loud enough. It seems the headunit 27Wrms are not enough and how better are the speakers, less louder are they

But, the output volume arenīt related with speaker sensitivity? I mean, a 93dB speaker plays louder than a 90dB speaker with the same power source, right? Or this sensitivity could be only compared between speakers that have all the others specs equal?

T3mpest
02-16-2007, 02:30 AM
While its' true a speaker that has a higher sensativity will be louder for small signals, you can't always use that to determine how loud a speaker will be. Some companies fudge the numbers, so you have to be careful. The biggest problem in your setup is that 20 watts wont' get anything short of a hlcd loud. My advice, get a nice set of speakers and invest in a decent amp, maybe 70-100 watts RMS, depends on the speakers really. What kind of a budget do you have?

Gary S
02-16-2007, 02:36 AM
While its' true a speaker that has a higher sensativity will be louder for small signals, you can't always use that to determine how loud a speaker will be. Some companies fudge the numbers, so you have to be careful. The biggest problem in your setup is that 20 watts wont' get anything short of a hlcd loud. My advice, get a nice set of speakers and invest in a decent amp, maybe 70-100 watts RMS, depends on the speakers really. What kind of a budget do you have?

- Exactly. You are not going to find a big difference in sensitivity, and too many companies lie.

Even more companies lie about output power... how many times have you seen 5,000 watts on the outside of a cheap car audio product box?! I would not be surprised if the real radio power is closer to 12 watts RMS.

You need an amplifier.

DaveDSMer
02-16-2007, 03:06 AM
i doubt a DEH-3600MP is putting out 27wrms per channel. If you want your speakers to get louder get an amp. Or if you really don't want to get an amp there is a Panasonic headunit that puts out 31wrms (CEA compliant) with an internal class T amp. Might be able to get it a little louder with that.

DaveDSMer
02-16-2007, 03:07 AM
this is it here

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6799.html

T3mpest
02-16-2007, 06:09 PM
this is it here

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6799.html

27 watts to 31 wouldn't even be audible.

DaveDSMer
02-16-2007, 08:52 PM
but thats the thing he isnt really get 27 watts.. which is what i first said. Its an old pioneer 3600mp .. do you really think its putting out 27 rms? with the one I posted you at least know it is as it is cea compliant. The pioneer is prolly putting out 12-14 rms.

of course getting an amp is going to be the best solution I was just trying to help him get a little more power in there without having to install one.

DoubleM
02-18-2007, 12:11 AM
Well, i donīt know if the DEH-3600MP outputs true 27Wrms per channel or not, but it is the advertised power, in the manual and in pioneer homepage.. When i bought the radio, it was a spec that iīm looking for, and it was one of the powerfull headunits at time.. Even compared with more recent Pionner headunits that claims "only" 22Wrms.. I donīt know why. Before the DEH-3600MP i had a JVC that claims 18Wrms and it was much weaker.

I had an amp before, but for now it isnīt a option for some reasons.. I prefer to connect the radio to speakers without amp.. The highs and mids are ok, the problem are lows..

With the speakers i currently have, if i put the headunit volume control at 32/33, the speakers start to distort when bass kicks. If i put better speakers, at same volume level, they doesnīt distort, but they arenīt so loud.. I mean, to achieve the same loudness the previous speakers had, i must put the headunit volume control at 43/44 and that point, the headunit starts to distort.. The problem remains.

I thought if i put a high sensivity speakers i resolve the problem, but no.. This is my dilema

DaveDSMer
02-18-2007, 01:27 AM
well , without an amp there isnt a solution to your problem. Just going to have to be stuck with it. Sorry man.

Deaden the car is all I can think of to contain more of the sound. It will increase the loudness of your system without an amp.