View Full Version : Angled cuts

02-14-2007, 09:31 PM
Alright, I am revisiting a previous build of mine compared to a build me and a friend did the other day and have a question or two.

Alright, I built a box for my truck last summer, never used it, but still have it(will use once I get the time to work on it again. I had a few cuts that to line up the wood exactly I had to angle the cuts(adjusted the saw to cut diagonally). They sealed up well enough, im not complaining, just looked bad, so I have to revisit it with a sander to smooth edges out.

Now, for the build I did with a friend. We made a sub box that fit in the spare tire compartment of his scion Xa. The sub is upfiring, and is mounted above the actual spare tire well, and the amp is located on the opposite(passenger) side. We needed a couple angled cuts but decided to just pack the seams with loads of caulk instead.. and it worked wonderfully. We finished off by covering it in soem black marine vinyl that more or less blended in with the interior.

My question is this: Is it nessicary to cut at angles all the time, or can you just caulk the hell out of the inside?


PS: I'll post pics of the build we did for his Xa soon, but havent gotten pics yet.

02-14-2007, 11:15 PM
you want to cut the angles properly to get the most use and strength out of the mdf edges where they meet. you can fix the mistake by using a **** load of silicone like you did, but the silicone flexes and after a long period of time it may become fatigue and fail to the point where it creates a leak. and you'll end up re fixing the enclosure over.

02-14-2007, 11:21 PM
as long as you seal it heavily from both sides, or perhaps even glass the 2 pieces together it will be fine.

i like them to meet up perfect tho.

02-15-2007, 02:46 AM
I was more or less curious, but on the box I build for my truck I did make a couple mistakes on the angles so I liquid nailed the hell out of the inside as well as outside, though it was a small mistake. On my friends box it pretty much should hold together as we had a good seal with just the mdf/wood glue, but it was off enough to justify hella silicone.

Thanks for the replies, been helpful!