PDA

View Full Version : New Alpines..

bushtree
02-14-2007, 04:59 PM
Hey guys im trying to choose a new set of components for my front stage... I have 100x2 to work with and i need to keep the speakers around $180 or less..

Im Thinking..

Crystal SSCS 6
Polk MMC6500
(NEW 07) Alpine Type R
(Last Years) Alpine Type X
CDT-61

I mainly listen to Rock and Rap. I dont need it to be super loud, but i have a 12" Entasi (think Rl-p) so it needs to be loud enough to not get drowned out..

I dont like really harsh tweeters either (My MB Quarts killed my ears)...

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks,

konechiwa
02-14-2007, 06:22 PM
I personally like the new type R's....sound so much better then the old ones.

Hintzyboy
02-14-2007, 07:16 PM
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208393&highlight=slc+265

Used Rainbow SLCs. If you must have new, I'd choose the Type Xs or the Crystals

nick310
02-15-2007, 11:48 PM

Hey, what are the new type r's comparable to? How does it sound compared to your slc's?

Max_Power
02-16-2007, 12:13 AM
if you dont like harsh tweeters I say look into the polks, they have some very smooth tweeters, and are a decent value too.

dkmesa
02-16-2007, 12:27 AM

details please, I am considering buying a set

Gary S
02-16-2007, 01:15 AM
If you must have new, I'd choose the Type Xs or the Crystals

- I agree.

DaveDSMer
02-16-2007, 02:15 AM
I vote for either the Type X or Polks.

konechiwa
02-16-2007, 02:23 PM
the type R's are completely different to me. My friend has type S components (he says he likes them, go figure) but they kill them.

The tweeters are probably the biggest imrovment, because now they actually sound...well, good. Not to harsh, and clear. Good punch on midbass, and it's pretty accurate. It's a very good speaker for the money IMO. Crossover's a TINY so they'd fit almost anywhere..

Haven't heard the crystals or type X's. I have the polk momo's your talking about. Their good, accurate, but the tweeter is harsh for silk. Good punch for midbass, but to me it sounded like a "wall of sound". Seperation just wasn't present. I should have looked around before i purchased them. Not a bad speaker, but not the best. It was just to...soft.

Bestbuy has the new type R's, and i think you should at least give them a listen before you decide on something else.

hondarider
02-16-2007, 04:42 PM
the type R's are completely different to me. My friend has type S components (he says he likes them, go figure) but they kill them.

The tweeters are probably the biggest imrovment, because now they actually sound...well, good. Not to harsh, and clear. Good punch on midbass, and it's pretty accurate. It's a very good speaker for the money IMO. Crossover's a TINY so they'd fit almost anywhere..

Haven't heard the crystals or type X's. I have the polk momo's your talking about. Their good, accurate, but the tweeter is harsh for silk. Good punch for midbass, but to me it sounded like a "wall of sound". Seperation just wasn't present. I should have looked around before i purchased them. Not a bad speaker, but not the best. It was just to...soft.

Bestbuy has the new type R's, and i think you should at least give them a listen before you decide on something else.

So how do the SLCs the new type Rs and the momos all compare? And is there a big difference between them all?

konechiwa
02-16-2007, 04:46 PM
my slc's aren't installed yet. I'll listen to them tonight (i have to go to work in 5 minutes) and tell you.

edit: i need to make MDF baffles now. The plastic ones wont fit, so i need to do some work...i don't get to listen to them yet...I'll be able to tell you by Monday though.

JimJ
02-16-2007, 04:46 PM
I'd choose the SLC's over the other sets you mentioned.

nick310
02-16-2007, 11:27 PM
my slc's aren't installed yet. I'll listen to them tonight (i have to go to work in 5 minutes) and tell you.

edit: i need to make MDF baffles now. The plastic ones wont fit, so i need to do some work...i don't get to listen to them yet...I'll be able to tell you by Monday though.

Cool, I'm really intrested on how they compare to the SLC's. Since I already know they sound good, could you do a comparison in terms of loudness?

slick rick
02-17-2007, 12:24 AM
Cool, I'm really intrested on how they compare to the SLC's. Since I already know they sound good, could you do a comparison in terms of loudness?

give them a proper install with decent power and they will shine...

wcarson8911
02-18-2007, 07:31 PM
i'm really interested in the new type Rs, i heard the older ones ******, any news on the new ones?

Mat Dope
02-18-2007, 08:21 PM
the 06 Rs only ****** unless you gave them alot of power i had them on 75 each and they we crappy then i put them on 125rms each and there was a huge difference. but my slc's>Rs

wcarson8911
02-18-2007, 08:24 PM
the 06 Rs only ****** unless you gave them alot of power i had them on 75 each and they we crappy then i put them on 125rms each and there was a huge difference. but my slc's>Rs

that didn't make sense. you said they ****** unless you gave them a lot of power but they did better with 125 watts than with 75 watts in your opinion. I'm guessing you meant they ****** unless you didn't give them a lot of power? Anyways, i'm wondering about the 07 type Rs. my friend works at best buy and could probably get these bnib for cheap.

DejaWiz
02-19-2007, 12:51 AM
that didn't make sense. you said they ****** unless you gave them a lot of power but they did better with 125 watts than with 75 watts in your opinion. I'm guessing you meant they ****** unless you didn't give them a lot of power? Anyways, i'm wondering about the 07 type Rs. my friend works at best buy and could probably get these bnib for cheap.

He said that the R's with 125W > 75W. Meaning, they sounded better to him with 125W than they did with 75W. Does that make sense now? :)

champaned_out
02-19-2007, 12:55 AM
my friend works at best buy and could probably get these bnib for cheap.

same here, if i ask my friend to hook it up with the employee discount it'll be $120 for the 07 Type-Rs.. the lowest ive seen on ebay was $140shipped
but first i want to see some more reviews on these before considering them

wcarson8911
02-19-2007, 05:08 PM
same here, if i ask my friend to hook it up with the employee discount it'll be $120 for the 07 Type-Rs.. the lowest ive seen on ebay was $140shipped
but first i want to see some more reviews on these before considering them

yeah my friend said $130, that's still a lot though for a risk on some speakers nobody has heard.

DejaWiz
02-19-2007, 08:23 PM
yeah my friend said $130, that's still a lot though for a risk on some speakers nobody has heard.

Well, if you don't like them, sell them here or on eBay and get a majority of the investment back.

;)