PDA

View Full Version : Will a single box be tuned differently according to what sub is installed???

lebomb
02-14-2007, 02:05 PM
For example: My JL12w1 sub would be tuned to 28hz per the websites box specs:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/images/8458.jpg

Subwoofer Volume
(net int.) External Dimensions
(Width x Height x Depth) Slot Port Internal Dimensions
(Slot Width x Slot Height x Slot Length) Port Extension
Length (EL) Tune to:
(Hz) F3
(Hz)
12W1v2-4 1.75 cu. ft. / 49.5 liters 19.75 in. x 16.0 in. x 17.0 in.
502 mm x 406.5 mm x 432 mm 1.5 in x 14.5 in x 33.75 in.
38 mm x 268 mm x 857 mm 14.5 in.
368 mm 28.0 29.5

.............my prefab Bass Slammer box is tuned to 38Hz, but the size of the box is almost identical to the JLaudio box, except my port is wider, yet not as long.

http://www.circuitcity.com/IMAGE/product/enlarged/mtx/EC.MTX.BS112V.JPG

http://bassslammer.com/products/carpeted/BASSSlammerBS112V.pdf

...............so would the tuning frequency be more towards what my JLW1 is optimized in??? Or is it still in a 38hz box.

I really dont care, because it sound great and is powerful.....I was just curious how all this works.

Thanks in advance. :D

helotaxi
02-14-2007, 02:32 PM
The box itself (volume, port area and port length) determines the tuning of a ported box. the sub only matters when figuring out how much the displacement of the motor and basket assembly of the sub affects the air volume in the box. That will be a nearly negligible difference with most comparable subs (much less than a tenth of a Hz).

lebomb
02-14-2007, 02:46 PM
The box itself (volume, port area and port length) determines the tuning of a ported box. the sub only matters when figuring out how much the displacement of the motor and basket assembly of the sub affects the air volume in the box. That will be a nearly negligible difference with most comparable subs (much less than a tenth of a Hz).

Thanks......thats the answer I was looking for.

JohnBlayz142
02-14-2007, 03:44 PM
If you make your port smaller by putting some wood in there or perhaps a sponge, you can plug part of the port which will decrease the port area, lowering the tuning.

I had a pre fab box and I plugged part of the port...it played noticably lower after doing that.

lebomb
02-14-2007, 03:55 PM
If you make your port smaller by putting some wood in there or perhaps a sponge, you can plug part of the port which will decrease the port area, lowering the tuning.

I had a pre fab box and I plugged part of the port...it played noticably lower after doing that.

Im happy with it like it is.....it goes real low. I dont know, but to me it sounds deeper than 38Hz. :eyebrow:

Immacomputer
02-14-2007, 04:25 PM
Im happy with it like it is.....it goes real low. I dont know, but to me it sounds deeper than 38Hz. :eyebrow:

Material below tuning will still be audible but output starts to decrease at that point.

Also, low is very very subjective. I'm sure much of the stuff you consider low, I would not consider low.

lebomb
02-14-2007, 04:55 PM
Material below tuning will still be audible but output starts to decrease at that point.

I'm sure much of the stuff you consider low, I would not consider low.

Maybe, maybe not........alot of rap and so forth doesnt go low to me.....I listen to alot of Jazz and some of those songs go LOW. Also, a few R&B cds I have go LOW.

What is it you listen to that you consider low??

Immacomputer
02-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Many of the songs on the Pirates of the Carribean 2 soundtrack drop pretty low (I consider anything 25hz and below, low). Some of the stuff from Bass from the Krypt get low as well. No rap or jazz or R&B I have ever heard has dropped to what I consider low. Many raps songs get down to about 30hz and I consider that dropping but not really low frequency.

rpfuror
02-14-2007, 06:40 PM
ditto, actually most rap/r&b are all around 36-38hz.. some people say thats low.

lebomb
02-15-2007, 09:16 AM
ditto, actually most rap/r&b are all around 36-38hz.. some people say thats low.

Well, basically all I really listen to is R&B, Hip/Hop and Jazz, so if that sounds good and low to ME....well Im happy. Im not going to go out and search music I dont listen to or like to prove what LOW really should be......that doesnt make sense.

Anyhow, thanks for the input guys!!!! :)