PDA

View Full Version : easy question

m4i2k2e2
02-14-2007, 07:58 AM
ok, i have a zx200.4 amp pushing my kicker ds525's. now, it doesnt seem that they get that loud. i set everything up correct. i dont have the speakers in a box. i made a panel that my amps are on with holes cut out were i then mouted the speakers. i didnt use any dynamat. there not in a box. it seems like the cone is bottoming out or something. the bass is highly distorted without getting loud. my questions are.

should i use something like dynamat.
should i redo this whole thing and box them?
when i turn my filter on to filter out the lows so i only get the highs, should i still get a little bit of lows cuz i am.

thank you.

DejaWiz
02-14-2007, 09:09 AM
what do you have the gain set at? what do you have hp set at? are you using a lot of eq from the hu?

JimJ
02-14-2007, 09:13 AM
The cone is bottoming out because it's likely not meant for free-air...do you have the front and backwave totally seperated?

m4i2k2e2
02-14-2007, 09:27 AM
whats the front and backwave?

i think im gonna go ahead and ring up kicker.

DejaWiz
02-14-2007, 09:47 AM
whats the front and backwave?

front wave - air displacement and pressure wave (sound) coming off the front of the cone/speaker

rear wave - air displacement and pressure wave coming off the rear of the cone/speaker.

If you separate the two, the speaker will not experience any wave cancellation. If they're not separated and should be, that means lots of movement but little performance.

DejaWiz
02-14-2007, 01:47 PM
and YES you should invest of sound deadning LIKE dynamat. . but NOT dynamat, IMO its overpriced for what it delivers as far as quality. go here and read up:
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

I picked Second Skin because it was the BEST clear out but also most expensive. . . all depends on how much u want to spend. If Second Skin didnt exist I would of bought RAAMATT, the bang for the buck IMO.

Agreed on all counts. But I think I'm going to have to flip a coin between SS or RM. Both companies have tremendously awesome support and honest care for the customer.

JimJ
02-14-2007, 01:49 PM
Which means lots of movement but little performance.

Not a sealed enclosure fan, are you? :D

"Little performance" isn't quite accurate...

DejaWiz
02-14-2007, 01:54 PM
Not a sealed enclosure fan, are you? :D

"Little performance" isn't quite accurate...

I'm a huge fan of sealed enclosures. I was trying to explain how wave cancellation can occur when a driver that really needs suspension and doesn't have it acts. Like a sub in a leaky sealed box... back wave sound pressure screwing up the whole works by getting free via non-tuned output.

As far as "little performance", I meant to say if you don't separate the two waves (when they should be).... I'm editing my original post above. man am I tired today

jmanpc
02-14-2007, 01:57 PM
Second skin FTMFW!!

JimJ
02-14-2007, 02:00 PM
I'm editing my original post above. man am I tired today

No problem :)

I agree completely then.

m4i2k2e2
02-14-2007, 10:51 PM
thank you guys so much for the replies. yea, i know what you mean with the front and back wave. i called kicker tech support and, they said box them.

well, now i have to fit a 12" l7 in 2.0 cubic foot ported box tuned at 32Hz plus two amps and 4 speakers in a reg cab truck. here goes the middle seat...........