PDA

View Full Version : Alpine 9881 Auto Scroll Prob

bombtrack
02-13-2007, 09:26 PM
Replaced my Alpine 9856 with a newer 9881 due to the increased Ipod functionality. Problem is that using auto scroll does not show Artist, Album, Track in succession and functions the same as Manual Scroll. I called Alpine and they had no answers. Just wondering if anyone has figured this out. Thanks.

helix66
02-13-2007, 09:54 PM
Wow, I can't believe that alpine could not straighten it out. I'm considering the 9885 when it becomes available, but not sure about Alpines, I assumed they had hands down the best ipod navigation.

bombtrack
02-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Don't get me wrong, the basic ipod navigation of the 9856 I had and the 9881 I now have is excellent, imo. Especially the newer line b/c they have percentage search which is a 'must' if you have a big library.

Let me pose my original question another way ... does anyone have an Alpine 9881 (or lower model) and are having no problems with the auto scroll? I tried my 60gb video, my 8gb nano (both with most recent firmware), and a mp3 cd and the display doesn't switch from artist/album/track name on any of them. Thanks again.

playalistik
02-17-2007, 07:24 PM
Sadly, I don't think the 9881 will scroll through the different data fields automatically. I too recently got the 9881 and was wondering if I was doing something wrong. If you look in the manual page 14 (page 16 if viewing the .pdf from alpine's site), it gives the breakdown of the different display modes you can have by repeatedly pressing the "TITLE" button.

Lets take a mp3/wma/aac CD for example. Your display mode choices are: file number/time elapsed, folder number/file number, file number/clock, folder name, file name, artist name, album name, song name, file number/elapsed time.

So as far as I can tell, you can only be in one of these modes at any given time. I have thought about a possible workaround that might work for mp3 cds, but it would be a big pain. The 'title' field of the ID3v2 tag is long enough to put the artist, album, and track information all in this one field. Then all of the information could be viewed in a single mode. The downside would be that it would scroll all of the information continuously with no logical pauses. Also, you would probably have to remove the ID3v1 tag from the files because it would probably act as the default if present (some of the fields hold less characters than the ID3v2 counterparts).

I hope this has helped you at least a little. Be sure to reply back if you find any additional information. :)

bombtrack
02-17-2007, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the reply. I understand what you are saying about the manual. I feel it isn't very specific b/c the manual for the 9856 had similar verbage and the automatic scroll worked just fine. Seems ridiculous to me this isn't standard. The people where I bought the unit and Alpine, as well, seem to think I am crazy to think this functionality is of any use at all. I have a 60gb ipod and use playlists mostly and have to hit the title button 5 times for each new song I am not familiar with to scroll through artist and track name--that is ridiculous for a unit used while driving.

My bottom line--now especially with your info--is to find a deal on a 9857 at a local store. I like the understated look of that line versus the bright red and blue of the 9881 anyway.

Thanks.