PDA

View Full Version : component speakers....bass and clearity question

DoctorD415
02-13-2007, 12:56 PM
I know it may depend on the brand, but in general do component speakers give lots of bass, I am looking to install some components in the front of my car and then some other 2 way speakers in the rear, and 2 12" subs in the trunk. Basically though, i just would rather have clear crisp speakers, rather than ones with high bass, because the lack of bass in the speakers will just be made up with with the subs. So would component speakers still be a good option for the front or would they give me bass than clearity?

Prowler573
02-13-2007, 01:01 PM
They're going to give improved response across the entire audible range when looked at in reference to comparable-level coaxial speakers but as far as bass if you're looking for them to be great in the 80Hz and below range they simply aren't built for it.
You really shouldn't be looking to your interior speakers to provide outstanding substage response as that is what your subs are for (especially when considering that according to your post you do, in fact, plan to include a pair of 12s in the setup to begin with)

alteraudiousa
02-13-2007, 01:19 PM
components will give you more clarity in the midbass region than most coaxials will. They are setup to play a specific range and have filters that work better to crossover the frequencies than the normal coaxial will. Check your PMs.

Gary S
02-13-2007, 02:07 PM
I'd echo the above... components/separates will always have a better tweeter and crossover than coaxes, and will give you better clarity... and they are not that much more expensive than coaxes.

Also, unless you are doing some elaborate surround sound system or adding delay to the back speakers, forget those rear speakers... factory cars traditionally came with four speakers to gain some added spl and bass... but with an amplified system and subs, you can get better sound quality by using only one set of component speakers installed up front. The money you save could be used to buy better products/install. This has been said about 600,000 times here.