PDA

View Full Version : What is the Name of the Birch?

kicker06
02-11-2007, 10:49 PM
What is the exact name of the birch? I went to home depot, and they had 3/4" Birch Plywood, but it wasn't 13 ply. Would lowes have it?

The birch @ home depot cost like $28 a sheet btw.

mrray13
02-11-2007, 10:50 PM
baltic birch..and it should run around $60 a sheet for a 4x8 3/4" piece. our lowes, nor home depot has it, but our menards does.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :peace:

mazdakid
02-11-2007, 10:54 PM
i got 2 sheets of the $28 stuff today, i think it might be called hardwood classic?

QtrHorse
02-11-2007, 11:00 PM
Baltic Birch, Russan Birch and a few others. You will not find the good stuff at a Home Depot or Lowest. You will most likely have to get if from a lumbar yard. It is much cheaper to get 5ftx5ft sheets. The 4x8 sheets usually cost double per sq. ft. than the 5x5 sheets. I can get the 5x5 sheets locally for $19 and the 4x8's are $38.

kicker06
02-11-2007, 11:18 PM
Will the 8 or 9 ply 3/4" Birch Plywood work though?

It is a lot lighter than the MDF, that's for sure.

QtrHorse
02-11-2007, 11:24 PM
Will the 8 or 9 ply 3/4" Birch Plywood work though?

It is a lot lighter than the MDF, that's for sure.

It will work. Usually the only difference is that the good sheets have a thicker top layer of birch compared to the cheaper stuff.

PV Audio
02-11-2007, 11:25 PM
I won't get into the argument again, but 13 ply birch is the most heinous waste of money in car audio imaginable.

kicker06
02-11-2007, 11:29 PM
So the 8 or 9 ply is perfectly fine for building a box as compared to 13 ply or MDF?

tommyk90
02-11-2007, 11:29 PM
I won't get into the argument again, but 13 ply birch is the most heinous waste of money in car audio imaginable.

While you are entitled to your opinion, many MANY people have used birch just to save weight.

Imagine having a wall constructed entirely out of birch. It has the potential to save hundreds of pounds of unnecessary weight.

While it may not be necessary for a normal 2 12" box, when you get into bigger and bigger setups, the benefits outweigh the boost in price.

kicker06
02-11-2007, 11:31 PM
While you are entitled to your opinion, many MANY people have used birch just to save weight.

Imagine having a wall constructed entirely out of birch. It has the potential to save hundreds of pounds of unnecessary weight.

While it may not be necessary for a normal 2 12" box, when you get into bigger and bigger setups, the benefits outweigh the boost in price.

I definatly agree with this statement.

Also, this birch I am looking at is SLIGHTLY more expensive than MDF, so why not, because it is definatly lighter.

Unless it is not as strong or stable, which I hope it is.

slick rick
02-11-2007, 11:35 PM
I have used this exact birch with excellent results for boxes for my AVA 15...both sealed and ported. It saves alot of weight too. :)

Flipx99
02-11-2007, 11:36 PM
Lowe's sells 7-ply cabinet grade in birch and oak.

I do not know stregnth the way all yall engineers/car audio people etc do but I think the birch is stronger. We built ramps for our forklift out of birch and not mdf. The birch did not break until we lifted a pallet of water with the forklift. The total height of the ramp was about 6"

Flipx99
02-11-2007, 11:37 PM
baltic birch..and it should run around $60 a sheet for a 4x8 3/4" piece. our lowes, nor home depot has it, but our menards does.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :peace:

Menards does not exist in the South to my knowledge. I have been to one, located in Indiana.

kicker06
02-11-2007, 11:57 PM
Birch 9 ply it is.

Flipx99
02-12-2007, 12:01 AM
Lowe's nor Depot does not sell 9ply, only 7ply. I can tell you exactly where it will be located if you like.

helotaxi
02-12-2007, 09:24 AM
It depends on the Lowes or Home Depot and which supplier tha got their latest shipment from. I Have gotten 7- 9- and most recently 13-ply from the HD right near my house. They never have more than one type available at a time but they always have something that will work. Compared to MDF, the weight difference is night and day and for raw strength the ply is much better also. The only problem with the stuff there is that it isn't "voidless" ply. There are some knot holes in the middle layers. The more layers in the ply the less an issue this is.

kicker06
02-12-2007, 09:56 AM
I will go today or tomorrow to both HD and Lowes and check out their selection and prices.

Also long as 7 or 9 ply is strong enough for a box and will withstand vibrations, then I am content with either.

Flipx99
02-12-2007, 10:07 AM
It depends on the Lowes or Home Depot and which supplier tha got their latest shipment from. I Have gotten 7- 9- and most recently 13-ply from the HD right near my house. They never have more than one type available at a time but they always have something that will work. Compared to MDF, the weight difference is night and day and for raw strength the ply is much better also. The only problem with the stuff there is that it isn't "voidless" ply. There are some knot holes in the middle layers. The more layers in the ply the less an issue this is.

At Lowe's it is always called "7 ply" as an item description. I wouldn't argue that sometimes they are different because we use several different vendors for our wood.