PDA

View Full Version : Which is the better tower speaker??

Pistonsfan70
02-11-2007, 03:50 AM
Home Theater Direct level 2 speakers (http://www.htd.com/Level-TWO-Tower-Speakers;jsessionid=ac112b321f43bad87e49432b486da4 0fdb463a601d2a.e3eSc38TaNqNe3eKaxePbN0Pa41ynknvrkL OlQzNp65In0?sc=7&category=10) for about $425 shipped

Or the ED towers (http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?cPath=2_42&products_id=96)
for $500 shipped

The ED's are sexier IMO but I want the best sound. PERSONAL FEELINGS ASIDE (I know some people here HATE ED) which is the better speaker.. I will be adding bookshelfs/surrounds down the road, but would just like a nice set of towers to start me out.

bimma85
02-11-2007, 04:00 AM
Highly doubt you're gonna find anyone who has heard both. I doubt you'll even find many that have heard either :crap:.

Oh pay me $50 and I'll listen to the ED speakers and tell ya what I think :D

joetama
02-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Uhhh... Well.... I've said it before and I'll probably be forced to say it again...

DON'T BUY HOME THEATER SPEAKERS YOU HAVE NOT HEARD OR SEEN IN PERSON!

Thank you that is all.....

1loudsuv
02-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Uhhh... Well.... I've said it before and I'll probably be forced to say it again...

DON'T BUY HOME THEATER SPEAKERS YOU HAVE NOT HEARD OR SEEN IN PERSON!

Thank you that is all.....

this is true

reminds me of the day i was at best buy buying a cell phone and heard something that sounded okay and got close and it was coming from teh magnolia part and the closer i got the better it sounded ended up being some def techs and i just fell in love with them since.

Pistonsfan70
02-11-2007, 10:11 PM
I am not going to be able to hear either one in person, ESPECIALLY the ED's, so I'm trying to do as much research as I can.

bimma85
02-12-2007, 03:26 PM
I am not going to be able to hear either one in person, ESPECIALLY the ED's, so I'm trying to do as much research as I can.

for that reason, he is saying to check out other speakers ;)

adam71
02-12-2007, 06:10 PM
this is true

reminds me of the day i was at best buy buying a cell phone and heard something that sounded okay and got close and it was coming from teh magnolia part and the closer i got the better it sounded ended up being some def techs and i just fell in love with them since.

I actually had the chance to listen to those bi polar Definitive speakers. I thought they were absolutely fantastic. I did like Mirage's M-1 bipolar better but that is only because of the soft highs of the Mirage tweets. Believe it or not they're titanium and they are very beautiful and ANYTHING but harsh.

joetama
02-12-2007, 07:44 PM
for that reason, he is saying to check out other speakers ;)

Indeed.... I think you said it nicer there than I was going to... :laugh:

LOL

Pistonsfan70
02-13-2007, 02:48 AM
I LOVE their amps and have had nothing but great experience with ED....Until I am proved wrong, I will give them the benefit of the doubt...So far, all I know is a great product at a great price (NINe.1 and NINe.4).

I won't base my opinion on someone else's negative experience

bimma85
02-13-2007, 02:49 AM
If you're not gonna listen to anyones advice, then why ask...just go ahead and buy them :confused:

Pistonsfan70
02-13-2007, 02:51 AM
What is your advice based off of though...I only want advice based on the quality of the product...no based off people's hatred towards ED....Have you used any of their products??? Why would you say NOT to get them....if you're gonna give someone advice, at least say why.....

bimma85
02-13-2007, 03:10 AM
What is your advice based off of though...I only want advice based on the quality of the product...no based off people's hatred towards ED....Have you used any of their products??? Why would you say NOT to get them....if you're gonna give someone advice, at least say why.....

can you read? I wouldnt drop $500 on a pair of speakers I've never heard. That choice is yours though.
I have nothing against ED, never dealt with them though. Not gonna knock a business from iowa :). Like I said give me $50 and I'll go listen to them and tell you what I think :).

Me and others have already said why :crazy: :confused: because your taste might not be the same as everyone elses and you can't hear them until you have already bought them

Pistonsfan70
02-13-2007, 03:13 AM
I hear your advice and sorry for mis-interperting your post but I really don't have much of a chance to hear any quality speakers, aside from Best Buy/Circuit City....gotta gamble sooner or later, or ask people's advice....A few people have heard them and loved them, they were on the ICIX board though and I'd prefer a non-partial party...that's why I posted here..

but again, sorry for mis-reading your post

bimma85
02-13-2007, 03:15 AM
I hear your advice and sorry for mis-interperting your post but I really don't have much of a chance to hear any quality speakers, aside from Best Buy/Circuit City....gotta gamble sooner or later, or ask people's advice....A few people have heard them and loved them, they were on the ICIX board though and I'd prefer a non-partial party...that's why I posted here..

but again, sorry for mis-reading your post

its all good.

J/w...you live in or near detroit, correct? You have no places to go to that specialize in home audio? Hell even in Iowa we have a few good places. :D

Pistonsfan70
02-13-2007, 03:16 AM
Not really....I live south of Detroit....The 2 speakers I am considering (HTDs or ED's) I have no chance of hearing:(

expo5.0
02-13-2007, 03:19 AM
anyone have opinions on athena?

Fixxer
02-13-2007, 03:28 AM
Some very nice HT setups are http://www.axiomaudio.com/

expo5.0
02-13-2007, 03:33 AM
but i can't get those at wholesale...

does look nice though

Pistonsfan70
02-13-2007, 03:37 AM
Yeah.....my range for towers is about $500:(

Fixxer
02-13-2007, 03:39 AM
If you can save $240 more it'll be more then worth it.. Plus free shipping. The M50 V2's are $740

Pistonsfan70
02-13-2007, 03:47 AM
Hows the bass on em?

Fixxer
02-13-2007, 03:53 AM
You are gonna want a sub for lower extention but all axiom stuff have nice clean mid-bass. Real quality stuff.

JimJ
02-13-2007, 07:39 AM
Yeah, who cares about negative experiences...

They can be weasels as long as the product's decent, right? :)

joetama
02-13-2007, 10:36 AM
"One of these days you Weasels are going to laugh yourselves to death."

Slightly modified movie line to fit.....

You know there is a big difference between building amplifiers and building loudspeakers right?

JimJ
02-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Heck, does eD build anything that they sell? :D

I'd see if you can find a Vandersteen dealer near you. A used pair of 2Ce's shouldn't go for much more than $700 and would kick the *** of anything eD cobbled together...

Magneplanar is another option. Maggie's lowest line, the MMG's, sell for $500 new IIRC.

I was seriously thinking about those two, but the combination of low efficiency with weird impedance curves would send my amps into a shitfit real fast.

Fixxer
02-13-2007, 10:49 AM
I'd be highly suprised if you have had any negative experiances with Axiom (the company).

Yeah, who cares about negative experiences...

They can be weasels as long as the product's decent, right? :)

JimJ
02-13-2007, 10:52 AM
That comment was directed towards eD :)

I have no experiences with Axiom at all.

joetama
02-13-2007, 10:52 AM
Heck, does eD build anything that they sell? :D

I'd see if you can find a Vandersteen dealer near you. A used pair of 2Ce's shouldn't go for much more than $700 and would kick the *** of anything eD cobbled together...

Magneplanar is another option. Maggie's lowest line, the MMG's, sell for $500 new IIRC.

I was seriously thinking about those two, but the combination of low efficiency with weird impedance curves would send my amps into a shitfit real fast.

Maggies are clean..... VERY Clean..... :yumyum::yumyum:

Pistonsfan70
02-13-2007, 12:16 PM
Looked into the Magneplanar's.....the only dealer in Michigan, their site is no longer up..

joetama
02-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Looked into the Magneplanar's.....the only dealer in Michigan, their site is no longer up..

There has to be a place that sells something that will interest you with in 20-30 miles....

It is Dietroit for Christ sake....

JimJ
02-14-2007, 12:05 AM
I have a homework assignment for you.

Go on http://www.audioasylum.com, and ask about reputable hi-fi dealers near you...if you don't get good advice, I'd be very surprised.

C'mon, I live in the middle of Bum**** USA and there's a Rega, Tannoy, Focal/JMLabs, Grado, Bryston, etc...dealer less than 45min from me.

1loudsuv
02-14-2007, 02:59 AM
just get some pardigms,definitive technologys,b&ws either or of their highest line and be done with it lol

Tmx20SC
02-14-2007, 03:33 AM
anyone have opinions on athena?

You can't go wrong with Athena. Simply awesome speakers!!!:veryhapp:

Pistonsfan70
02-14-2007, 03:40 AM
I am prob going to take the plunge on the eD's.....They've never let me down as a company...I can afford a WHOLE surround sound system without going broke and I love the way the towers look....

I ordered my Onkyo 604 reciever today brand new from amazon for $360 shipped (signed up for a CC and got $30 off!!) The whole package with 2 towers, 1 center, and 2 surrounds is $650 shipped. I will post a review when I get it setup next week but I REALLY appreciate the help....If I don't like the sound of the eD's, I can always send them back and chalk it up to a lesson learned..

joetama
02-14-2007, 11:08 AM
Do it if that is really what you want to do....

Since you have already made up your mind so solidly they will probably be the best thing for you anyway....