PDA

View Full Version : Coilovers

SAG3
02-08-2007, 06:50 PM
So I wanna drop my Integra, what should I be looking at in $250-$300 range?

pitbull12888
02-08-2007, 07:09 PM
im lookin at these.. cheap but they should work good enough.. 0-3" drop

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180082778128&rd=1&rd=1

duckfart
02-08-2007, 07:20 PM
I have some skunk2 coilvers on my integra. Havent had any issues with them since I got them installed 3 years ago. http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9376/picture128fo5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

SAG3
02-08-2007, 07:24 PM
Link to them on eBay or model number?

bibby
02-08-2007, 09:04 PM
I don't know much about coilovers, and will be looking into some after my wheels get here, so i'd like some advice on this topic also.

Loud3
02-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Save your $300 and go with some REAL coilovers later on down the road.

Go check out D2, or Tokico's coilover setups.

They actually engineer their struts and shocks to work WITH, not AGAINST the new lower stance... and the car will handle and ride 100% better.

azbass
02-08-2007, 10:45 PM
im lookin at these.. cheap but they should work good enough.. 0-3" drop

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180082778128&rd=1&rd=1

NO

azbass
02-08-2007, 10:47 PM
guys you dont buy suspension off ebay.

sag go to a forum for your car. im sure you will see many adds/posts for a quality coilover set up. expect to pay 700 +

pitbull12888
02-08-2007, 10:49 PM
NO

y not.. they would work decent wouldnt they...he really doesnt have a lot of money to spend on it. So that for $100 is the best i can find.

azbass
02-08-2007, 10:51 PM
dude when it comes to safty of the car. dont get some knock off ebay special.

azbass
02-08-2007, 10:53 PM
that kit seems to also use your own shock, which will probably damage it.

pitbull12888
02-08-2007, 10:53 PM
well we need somethin cheap. What would u reccomend.. what if i just cut 1 of the spindles of the stock springs so it sits about 2-3" lower. Ive done it before and it turned out good?

hawaiian5
02-08-2007, 11:02 PM
well, if u can save about 300 more dollars, u can get a whole suspension/coilover kit....e-bay has a really good set that is called NEX-GT...i just bought them for my 03 accord, not only can u adjust the coilover, but u can also adjust the strut for ride quality....wich meens smoothness...just thought i'd let u know

AJē06
02-09-2007, 05:24 AM
Save your $300 and go with some REAL coilovers later on down the road.

Go check out D2, or Tokico's coilover setups.

They actually engineer their struts and shocks to work WITH, not AGAINST the new lower stance... and the car will handle and ride 100% better.
I agree... :)
If u want to budget things then:
COILOVER sleeves.... (they use Eibach progressive springs)[/SIZE] or Spunk2
And don't forget the shocks!
Stock shocks cant take the lowerd stance. It travels out of its intended 'little thing'....
GOT'**** it just dont do it.:mad:

THIS is my setup... but I got an Accord.
*Ground Control coilover sleeves
*Tokico Illumina shocks

Dont forget the camber kit if necessary and alignment....

[B]RECAP-ADJUSTABLE SPRING, SLEEVE-OVER

GroundControl "coilover/sleeveover" kit with eibach springs

They are often mistakenly called coilover, which they are not.
sleeve over or adjustable spring have NO build in damper/shock.
The only adjustable part is the ride height.

1)GROUND CONTROL-perhaps the only sleeve-over should be alive in the market today, think of GC as the ONLY good guy the world of bad sleeve-over. GC didn't **** like most of the sleeve-over because they used spring made by eibach. EVERY ground control sleeve-over uses eibach's top notch spring.
GC allow the customer to specail order a set of sleeve over with custom spring rate, which is a great advertiage for track car.

2)Ebay style sleeve-over- due to popular demands here a picture of the ebay style coilover.
ONE word to sum it up: GARBAGE
Bouncy, no controlled spring rate, no protection aganist botteming out, sagging, Just pure garbage.
They costs around 50-75 buck brand new in ebay, you'll get what you pay for.

3)Skunk2 Racing Adjustable Springs-pricey but not well built, alot of honda folk had skunk2 when the coilover things first pops out, NOT worth the money IMHO

EXTRAS
-Many sleeve-over/adj. spring experiencing some rusting on the threads, which could preventing the spring from adjusting.

-whenever you adjust the ride height, you'll changing the camber and toe angle, so you'll end up getting an alignment done everytime you change the height.

AJē06
02-09-2007, 05:26 AM
AND I strike again:::

CHAPTER 3- REAL COILOVERS

Coilover-direct replacement for the oem springs and shocks(some top notce coilover even come with a camber adjustment plate), engineered and built as one unit.
Some coilover come with revalvable shock which you can reuse the blown shock.
ALL coilover kit are heigh adjustable but not all coilover have damper adjustment(ex: tein basic).

1)TEIN-The green Japanese suspension company took the import in US by storm.

a)basic-The entry level coilover set up, Adjustable height but non-adjustable damper(shock's compress and rebound rate), very affordable coilover setup, priced just around 700(you can find most of the online places shipped for $700).

b)Super Street Type SS-the higher level coilover system with adjustable damper, ideal for street and track use. They costs little bit more than "basic".
Alot of honda/acura guys raise this setup.

2)apex'i-known for quality and very well designed parts for the import crowd.
One of the big "boss" at the drift D1 event(for the socal folks )

a) World Sport Damper Coil Overs-priced almost the same as the tein SS kit, i didnt heard much good praise from WS for some odd reason.

3)B&G-unknown

a)Adjustable Coil Overs-retails around 1grand and with no adjustment for the shock,
tein or apexi ws would be a better choice, IMHO. It comes with a helper/secondary springs.

4)Tokico-another popular coilover setup, tokico is known for their affordable shocks/damper

a)Illumina Coil Overs-height and damper adjustable, illumina adjustable shock with H&R springs in a combo package, a great valve if you consider buying the same setup seperately.

5)Tanabe-another Japanese import part gaint, now offering 2 type of coilover for usdm accord.

a)Sustec Pro S-OC Type-II Coilovers-another fixed damper coilover, priced around tein basic

b)Sustec Pro S-S Type II Coilover Kit-Damper and height adjustable, magically price around 1000, just like the tein SS

c)Tanabe Sustec Pro Street Coil Overs-another step up to the S-S II, retails at $1489, not much info/experience, yet.

6)OTHER Truth coilover(availble for accord)

a)HKS- Hiper Damper Kits, built with rust resistance material, damper and height adjustable.

b)Progress Competition Coil Over Suspension Systems-aluminum body for resistant to rust, damper and height adjustable(one to three inch), REVALVABLE shocks for the track *****s. Reasonable price

c)Zeal Suspension System B6 Series-aka buddyclub in Japan(?), very pricey but worth it from what i heard. Height and damper adjustable, ideal for track use.

neonrt
02-14-2007, 05:14 PM
I agree with above^^ dont wate you money on any of those ebay coilover sleeves. they are junk, will hurt your strut, and worst of alll are very unsafe. Spend your money on either "real" lowering springs designed to work with stock-type struts, or save a bit more and get the real deal coilovers. Look into k-sport, or bc-racing for more inexpensive coil-overs that work well. i have seen the dynos on k-sports, and they work well with a variety of spring rates. plus can be lowered without loosing any suspension travel.(the body of the coil-over is adjustable.)

phantom240
02-14-2007, 05:22 PM
SLEEVES ARE GARBAGE! If i can find the thread on my 240sx forum, ill show you what happens when you use sleeves. In short, the spring gave out and broke while on the highway, causing him to go into the median. He corrected and slid into the other median, when he hit the road again completely sideways, the tires shredded off his rims and he came to a halt in the right hand median.

SAG3
02-14-2007, 11:11 PM
Got some coilovers and a camber kit on the way, pics of that later.

azbass
02-14-2007, 11:12 PM
how much did you spend ?

Lunchbocks
02-15-2007, 03:39 PM
I notice its pretty much already been answered but the cheapo eBay special suspension components is an absolutely terrible way to go. Maybe if its a show car that doesn't move and just needs to look low but even then, I can't imagine buying some of that crap. You're pretty much ruining the handling and jeopardizing your safety at the same time. If anyone tells you those are good then they're pretty much ignorant morons. Its the same people that think a car handles better simply because its lower. They have no clue what a car with good suspension characteristics feels/responds like. I really hope you manned up and spent the money on quality parts. If you're not willing to spend the money, you shouldn't be modifying a car.

SPL140.2
02-15-2007, 03:41 PM
if you adjust the coil overs and one is a tad higher than the other would that cause problems if you do the alignment afterwards, what is the correct procedure when adjusting these coil overs?

SAG3
02-17-2007, 12:27 AM
I cut the springs, for free.

phantom240
02-17-2007, 10:58 AM
I cut the springs, for free.

90% of people who cut springs have no clue how to correctly do it without ruining the spring's strength. How do you do it?

SAG3
02-17-2007, 06:32 PM
Sawzall

azbass
02-17-2007, 06:34 PM
bad idea meng

SAG3
02-17-2007, 06:36 PM
Orly

azbass
02-17-2007, 07:29 PM
you dont cut springs.

azbass
02-17-2007, 07:29 PM
how long have you had the car and you already eff'd it up.

azbass
02-17-2007, 07:30 PM
Brian O'Conner and Dominic Toretto are gona be pissed.

SAG3
02-17-2007, 07:35 PM
It'll be two weeks tomorrow.

SAG3
02-17-2007, 07:35 PM
The passenger front is lower than the driver front, FTL.

xluben
02-17-2007, 07:42 PM
hope you're ready to buy new shocks/springs and repair the damage to your car very soon.

it'll probably be some kind of massive failure, which could leave you stranded somewhere, and driving further will cause more damage.

SAG3
02-17-2007, 07:45 PM
Can't get stranded on Kauai.

SAG3
03-10-2007, 02:35 AM
Looks like my **** is finally not backordered and is in the mail.