PDA

View Full Version : How Should i finsih my Box?

picklekx
01-22-2003, 08:29 PM
Ok, I'm planning on building a new box. I plan on glassing the front and having the rest MDF. But I don't know how to finish it up if I do that. I don't want to carpet over the glass, but I don't want to paint the MDF because I dont think it will look good. So how would I make this look good?

paikiah
01-22-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by picklekx
Ok, I'm planning on building a new box. I plan on glassing the front and having the rest MDF. But I don't know how to finish it up if I do that. I don't want to carpet over the glass, but I don't want to paint the MDF because I dont think it will look good. So how would I make this look good?

sink your glass panel on the MDF... finish off the carpeting for the windows to the INSIDE... and you can use some liquid damper to spray the frame of the glass, and bolt them tight onto the sinked area. The should be about 3/4 dry so that when you tighten the bolts, it will act as a sealant, but if in doubt, use a bit of silicone.. the painted frame will hide any clues of the silicone so yo shouldn't have a problem with it.

evo2k3
01-22-2003, 09:40 PM
is the box rectanglular with just a glassed front face? if so you could just glass the front and buy some 1-2" right angle aluminum (comes in 8 foot or so lengths) and paint them what ever color you want. Cut them at 45's on the ends like you would do molding on a door frame, then you glass carpet and cover the seem with a nice looking threshold, kind of the same idea behind merging the seem between carpet and tile in your house with a threashold.