PDA

View Full Version : how does this hdtv look?

.::DuD3::.
02-05-2007, 11:53 AM
i'm picking one up in a month, just want to know what to look for as far as the specs. this is what i'm thinking of picking up:

Features:

Screen Size: 32" Diagonal
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Resolution: 1366 x 768
Contrast Ratio: 1200:1
Brightness: 500 cd/m2
Response Time: 8 ms
Viewable Angle: 178 (horizontal and vertical)
HDTV Compatibility: 1080i
Signal Compatibility: 480i (SDTV), 480P (EDTV), 720P (HDTV), 1080i (HDTV)
Tuner: Integrated NTSC/ATSC/QAM HDTV Tuner
3D Comb Filter
Progressive Scan Video: thru Component YPbPr, VGA or HDMI
Picture-in-Picture (PIP)
Weight: 33 lbs (w/ stand), 29 lbs (w/ out stand)
Dimensions: 31.4" W x 23.3" H x 10.4" D (w/ stand), 31.4" W x 22.1" H x 3.9" D (w/ out stand)
Audio:

Speakers: Built-in 10W x 2

Inputs/ Outputs:

HDMI w/ HDCP: x2
Component: x2
S-Video: x1
Composite Video: x2
RF (F Connector for internal tuner): x1
Computer RGB plus Stereo Audio: x1
5.1 SPDIF Digital Optical Audio: x1
Analog Stereo Audio for HDMI Inputs: 1
Analog Audio out (RCA): 1
Service Port: 1

it'll mainly be used for tv/dvds, but i want to make sure that i can use it as a secondary monitor when i'm playing games and stuff on my computer. now a couple questions:

1. will it connect to my computer? if so, via what?
2. i have 2 hdmi inputs, if it was connected via the computer, would it be like having an hd dvd player? i've seen people use their computer as a dvdplayer, but i guess im not sure if it was an hd signal or not.
3. is it easy to switch back between signals, for ex. if i wanted to play a game on my computer, then switch to watching tv, how would i do that? is it just a button to press, or do i have to start disconnecting cords and stuff.

iceteebone
02-05-2007, 11:55 AM
i'm noobish to some of this **** but my video card on my computer has composite outputs so i can hook it up to a TV. other then that idk how

1loudsuv
02-05-2007, 12:06 PM
specs seem good but specs dont mean much either which tv is it though?

02-05-2007, 12:08 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150182
well this is my video card. it says it came with an hdtv cable, so i guess its hd ready? i'm not sure either, but im sure one of you does :D

02-05-2007, 12:10 PM
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11200279&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&s=1

this is the link to the tv. i've played around with it in person, and i really liked it. i was looking at some stuff on newegg, but i'd rather buy something where i can return it to incase it blows up. plus this will come with a 1 year full waranty.

1loudsuv
02-05-2007, 12:15 PM
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11200279&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&s=1

this is the link to the tv. i've played around with it in person, and i really liked it. i was looking at some stuff on newegg, but i'd rather buy something where i can return it to incase it blows up. plus this will come with a 1 year full waranty.

thats a killer price for an lcd and if you like it and the specs are good then go for it!
especially from costco to you can return it and get something else if you want. or just get your money back

only thing that seems bad is 8ms response time dunno if that will affect gaming but if it does you can always return it

joetama
02-05-2007, 12:20 PM
I would defiantly check it out before you go and buy it.

Costco usually has that **** setup so you can watch it....

iceteebone
02-05-2007, 12:22 PM
i thought i read some good reviews about visio somewhere?

02-05-2007, 12:23 PM
I would defiantly check it out before you go and buy it.

Costco usually has that **** setup so you can watch it....yeah i was messing around with it a couple weeks ago. i liked it alot, and the price is pretty good for my budget.

you really think the 8ms response time will make a difference between a 5ms?

joetama
02-05-2007, 12:59 PM
If you like how it looks then it doesn't matter how that 8ms to 5 ms response looks to me...

;)

the727kid
02-05-2007, 01:04 PM
Go to Best Buy to check out their TVs too to see how the picture compares. I have seen some Plasmas look worse than flat screen tubes. Either way, 1080i ftw :).

PatFitz9
02-05-2007, 01:05 PM
my buddy has the 46" of that TV and another has 47" 1080p version. it's a good TV for the money. The friend with the 46 doesn't have it hooked up to an HD source, but my XBox 360 looked pretty good on it. they haven't had any problems with the TVs either.

also, costco has an amazing return policy. so if you don't like it, you can bring it back and get your money back (might be for store credit only though).

Quicker660r
02-05-2007, 01:06 PM
http://content.costco.com/Images/Content/Product/237371.jpg

My brother has had his for about a month. He has the 37" and it seems to work good. My nieces play there Viva Pinata on it and it looks great. Not a bad price.

PatFitz9
02-05-2007, 01:07 PM
and btw, looking at stores doesn't give you the whole picture. some don't have a good source running to the TV, and the TV settings usually aren't right. so if you like it in the store, most likely the picture will get better when you get home and play with it.

mlstrass
02-05-2007, 01:16 PM
and btw, looking at stores doesn't give you the whole picture. some don't have a good source running to the TV, and the TV settings usually aren't right. so if you like it in the store, most likely the picture will get better when you get home and play with it.

x2 You can't judge a TV by how it looks in the store as virtually none of them have been calibrated and some MUST be calibrated to look good.

Have you considered a projector? Also do a search on avsforum for the TV's you're considering as there's usually a ton of info on all the popular models.

02-05-2007, 01:17 PM

yeah i worked at bestbuy up until about a month ago and half of the tv's looked like crap. i dont know if they were tuned wrong or what, but they didn't look good at all.

and i do like how i can return to costco if i have a problem too. i've never had problems returning stuff there.

02-08-2007, 11:02 AM
quick question. if my video card has an hdtv output and i have the high def cable and everything, will that plug into one of the hdmi inputs on the tv? and will my dvd player on my computer act as a hd source?

1loudsuv
02-14-2007, 03:54 AM
quick question. if my video card has an hdtv output and i have the high def cable and everything, will that plug into one of the hdmi inputs on the tv? and will my dvd player on my computer act as a hd source?

if it does plug up no dvd will not be an hd source, i mean it wont look hd cause dvd ist high def even upconverted. but it might play through it though (the card)