PDA

View Full Version : 880 Active?

zSnb
02-03-2007, 12:04 AM
I was in a shop playing around with an 880 today. From the way i understand it, you can run the 880 in a normal mode, or in a network mode if your going active. I couldnt find how to get the unit into network mode. How can this be done? Also, what are the abilities of the network mode? What kind of crossovers can i use??

hardhitta47
02-03-2007, 01:31 AM
The mode depends on the postion of the switch (STD or NW) on the side of the unit. (You have to take it out to switch modes, or when you install it.)

Standard mode is the default setting, and is used for running passive or external crossovers. Network mode is used for running an active system, which gives you much more control over your front stage, if you have your tweets and mids amped seperately.

You can go on Pioneer's website and download the manual in pdf.

zSnb
02-03-2007, 03:37 AM
does that mean if i have a four channel amp, that i need to have the tweets and mids in a seperate channel??

dleccord
02-03-2007, 03:45 AM
uh... that means you should have a 4 channel if you're running a 2way set.

hardhitta47
02-03-2007, 04:52 AM
does that mean if i have a four channel amp, that i need to have the tweets and mids in a seperate channel??

Yeah, if you're gonna go active using the h.u. If you're gonna use the passives you just need a 2ch amp.

To run an active setup using the h.u., you're gonna need 4 channels. Front L-R to tweets, rear L-R to mids, and sub outs to sub(s). You'll have to set all your crossovers up with the h.u. Be careful though, because if you send low frequencies to your tweeters you will definitely kill them.

Make sure you know what your doing. Active is more complicated and takes longer to tune it right. If you've got a nice set of comps or diy set, for the most part active is the way to go. 880 is a great deck for this.

ngsm13
02-03-2007, 05:20 AM
Yeah, if you're gonna go active using the h.u. If you're gonna use the passives you just need a 2ch amp.

To run an active setup using the h.u., you're gonna need 4 channels. Front L-R to tweets, rear L-R to mids, and sub outs to sub(s). You'll have to set all your crossovers up with the h.u. Be careful though, because if you send low frequencies to your tweeters you will definitely kill them.

Make sure you know what your doing. Active is more complicated and takes longer to tune it right. If you've got a nice set of comps or diy set, for the most part active is the way to go. 880 is a great deck for this.

I hear you're meeting up at Panera tomorrow to pick up some Kicker Wire...

nG

zSnb
02-03-2007, 10:35 AM

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I guess I wont be running active since I want to power my rear speakers also.

oxsign
02-03-2007, 10:52 AM
Sorry for post dumping, but I have (will by Monday) an 880 as well. I also will be running a set of RE comps (for the front doors) & Infinity 6.5 2ways (for the rear doors). All this will be running off a 4ch amp. Will active or normal be the best way to run this set up?:crap:

JohnnyChuttz
02-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Sorry for post dumping, but I have (will by Monday) an 880 as well. I also will be running a set of RE comps (for the front doors) & Infinity 6.5 2ways (for the rear doors). All this will be running off a 4ch amp. Will active or normal be the best way to run this set up?:crap:

You would still run in standard mode. Network mode allows for a 3-way active setup(tweet, mid, midbass) and the crossovers to run those accordingly.

pimpedout97x
02-03-2007, 12:04 PM
i need to learn about setting the crossover in my 880 becuase it really confuses me lol. im gonna be running active with 2 seperate amps (mids and tweets)

i wont have midbass though lol

hardhitta47
02-03-2007, 02:37 PM
I hear you're meeting up at Panera tomorrow to pick up some Kicker Wire...

nG

Yup, you heard right. We're supposed to meet at 6.

nismos14
02-04-2007, 10:12 PM
So in network mode, if I want to run my 2 way crossover how would I do it with the 880? Just throw it in network mod and tune for a 2 way set?

adam71
02-04-2007, 11:29 PM
You would still run in standard mode. Network mode allows for a 3-way active setup(tweet, mid, midbass) and the crossovers to run those accordingly.

Actually thats not completely right. The 3 way active mode (network mode) is high, mid, low. There is no midbass band pass crossover, just bandpass for the midrange.

nismos14
02-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Actually thats not completely right. The 3 way active mode (network mode) is high, mid, low. There is no midbass band pass crossover, just bandpass for the midrange.

Thats what I thought, that clears it up for me.

adam71
02-04-2007, 11:34 PM
i need to learn about setting the crossover in my 880 becuase it really confuses me lol. im gonna be running active with 2 seperate amps (mids and tweets)

i wont have midbass though lol

As long as you have atleast 5 channels of amplification you'll be fine.

adam71
02-04-2007, 11:38 PM
So in network mode, if I want to run my 2 way crossover how would I do it with the 880? Just throw it in network mod and tune for a 2 way set?

Are you talking about using the passive crossover that came with your components??

nismos14
02-04-2007, 11:42 PM
Lol... I meant my 2 way component

zSnb
02-05-2007, 02:04 AM
What are the actual crossover numbers and slopes for the High, Mid, and Low when running active??

adam71
02-05-2007, 04:41 AM
What are the actual crossover numbers and slopes for the High, Mid, and Low when running active??

Go to the Pioneer website and download the manual pdf and it will tell you all the frequencies you can choose from.