PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Pioneer/Premier Suruis Display?

fleabus
02-02-2007, 01:08 PM
Is anyone using the 5900IB or Premier 680mp with Sirius?

I currently own the 3900MP and needless to say am disappointed with the Sirius direct radio display (SIR-PNR2). Looking to upgrade HU to one with a better Sirius diaplay, wondering if 5900IB or better will at least show me Artist & Track title without having to change the display? Everywhere I go, no one seems to have them on diaplay with sirius hooked up...

OldOneEye
02-03-2007, 12:51 AM
Typically its a function of the radio that controls it (the P bus interface can only handle so much).

Juan

adam71
02-03-2007, 02:06 AM
I'm running an 860 now and I don't know if any DECK can display 2 different pieces of information at once. I could be wrong but I don't think anything PRE '05 Pioneer can. You can either display artist / song / station / station # but only one at a time.

adam71
02-03-2007, 02:08 AM
Typically its a function of the radio that controls it (the P bus interface can only handle so much).

Juan

It could be the tuner too. The first generation Pioneer XM tuners only displayed 8 characters on any P-bus headunit. The 2nd generation and newer XM tuners display 16 characters. So some things aren't headunit dependent.

fleabus
02-03-2007, 07:30 AM
Thanks to all who replied. I went ahead with the upgrade, since I already had the PNR-2. The 5900IB will show you your sirius channel# and preset# while simultaneously displaying another line that can be shifted with the display button to show sirius channel name/category/channel#/artist/song&program... I guess if you want all the sirius info at a glance you go with sirius PNP. Me, I hate having to switch the display all the time, I want it all at a glance. I came off a sirius pnp, but thought it'd be neat to have it all built in... Now I wish I'd stayed with the PNP. After further reading here and other forums I understand that higher end JVC units are the way to go for the best sirius display, but I like Pioneer...

OldOneEye
02-03-2007, 01:19 PM
It's pretty simple. If the protocol they have doesn't support it, doesn't matter what the tuner does. In Pioneer's case, they are tricking the P-bus to treat it like a changer (so the limitations). Ditto with several other brands. They have a standard in place that everything works on (P-Bus in Pioneers case, AI-net in Alpine's case) that were designed years before Ipods and Satellite were even in anyone's mind.

So replacing one radio with another of the same year (without going with the top of the line in dash LCD which seem to work well) will do little.

Juan

jeffs42885
02-04-2007, 12:59 AM
kinda OT, but i put the pioneer 5900 on display at work today and i am IMPRESSED. it looks SOO much better then the 5800. It reminds me of the pioneer 7700 which is one of my fav. head units that i've owned.

anyone know when the premiers are coming out? IE the replacment to the 880/780?

adam71
02-04-2007, 01:10 AM
anyone know when the premiers are coming out? IE the replacment to the 880/780?

Who says there will be.?? Remember when the 860 and 960 were the 2 top decks for 2 years in a row?? There never was a 870 or 970. When the *70 series came out the 860 and 960 were still the 2 top models. So you may not see a new 8** or 9** deck til next year. But don't quote me on that, I'm just giving my best guess.

zSnb
02-05-2007, 02:15 AM
The 880prs and the 780/980 are going to stay the same for this year i believe. The 7950ub is coming out in a few months. I've noticed something weird about it though. About two or three weeks ago you could check out the 7950ub and its specs on the Pioneer website. Now if you go there, they took down the PDF file that had its specs, and they completely removed it from the site. Im guessing that they may be changing a few of its specs. If it had the same capabilities as the 780, i would buy one.