PDA

View Full Version : This sound normal?

Mynameismcgyver
02-02-2007, 08:56 AM
I wired up my 2001 Maxima (bose was stock) with my Alpine HU last night. The headunit was NOT in the dash, only hanging out. But it wouldn't turn on with out the
Antenna plugged in. I did not ground it to the chassis, just used the existing "ground wire". Does this sound right or should I ground it to the chassis?

KaeZoo
02-02-2007, 07:54 PM
If it only turns on with the antenna, then it has a poor ground. Ground it to the chassis. Many Nissan radios don't even have a ground wire in the factory plug, even though it's present in aftermarket harnesses.

UndercoverPunk
02-02-2007, 07:56 PM
Word, ground to teh frame

whitemax
02-03-2007, 04:57 PM
I grounded mine to the metal behind the dash.

atoz350
02-06-2007, 10:21 PM
The factory radio works the same way. The radio won't work without the antenna plugged in. That's just the way Nissans are designed.

KaeZoo
02-06-2007, 11:36 PM
The factory radio works the same way. The radio won't work without the antenna plugged in. That's just the way Nissans are designed.

Actually, it's designed to be grounded through the metal mounting brackets. A Nissan radio has to be mounted and screwed down to be grounded properly. If it isn't mounted, the antenna can work as a (poor) substitute ground, but if the radio is mounted it doesn't need the antenna plugged in to work.