PDA

View Full Version : 2 for 1?? or 1 for 2???

lowrollin70gmc
02-01-2007, 10:16 PM
I was studying the box dimension sticky and had a quick question.

I did do multiple searches and could not find the answer, maybe I'm just stupid.

Here it goes: I have 2 10" subs that I would like to put in one box. Hypothetically speaking if the manufacturer stated a ported box of 1 cu ft each, could I put them together in say a 2 cu ft @32hz box? In the stickied plans they show single cutouts (for most). Can I simply move the cutout within it's plane and add another for my second sub? (Assuming the displacement of the other sub within the box is negligable.)

Thank you.
lowrollin70gmc

IonSQL
02-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Yes, there's no problem with that at all.

lowrollin70gmc
02-01-2007, 11:37 PM
Thanks, that's what I thought but I'ld rather ask then screw up my box.

galacticmonkey
02-02-2007, 01:20 AM
when you put 2 subs in say a 2 cf airspace chamber, each will see a little more than 1 cu ft.

i know someone who did this experiment:

he had 2 subs and 2 amps. he build 2 boxes that were (lets say for purposes of this experiment) 2 cf of actualy airspace each. he tested and got his peak frequency.

then he build a box that had an exact internal airspace of 4 cf and put both subs in it. didnt touch the amps. same car, same placement, same everything. 4 cf = 4cf, right?

wrong. he found his peak to be about 2-4hz lower than the original.

that goes to show that each sub actually sees more than its share of the airspace. if you really want 1 cube each go with 1.8-1.9 or so for both subs.

helotaxi
02-02-2007, 07:30 AM
Without cotrolling all the other variables, that is in no way a valid "test." FOr example, by changing the size of the box, the volume of air in the rest of the car is changed changing the response characteristics of the interior of the car. Even something as simple as a change in temperature will change the response.

To the OP, go with your plan.

lowrollin70gmc
02-02-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the help, I actually kept cruising the net and found the following:

http://subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp

It calculated less than 2 cu ft with 2 subs when I played with it. Wish I would have found this before asking. I can get more exact specs with the above link anyways, not limited to widths listed in the box sticky.

Once again, thanks for the help, I'll keep scanning the forums, as I rarely post.

Dylan
02-03-2007, 03:21 PM
when you put 2 subs in say a 2 cf airspace chamber, each will see a little more than 1 cu ft.

i know someone who did this experiment:

he had 2 subs and 2 amps. he build 2 boxes that were (lets say for purposes of this experiment) 2 cf of actualy airspace each. he tested and got his peak frequency.

then he build a box that had an exact internal airspace of 4 cf and put both subs in it. didnt touch the amps. same car, same placement, same everything. 4 cf = 4cf, right?

wrong. he found his peak to be about 2-4hz lower than the original.

that goes to show that each sub actually sees more than its share of the airspace. if you really want 1 cube each go with 1.8-1.9 or so for both subs.

i was wondering the same thing as the poster.. would i be able to do 1 box with seperate 1cuft compartments? like a wall in between or something? because if one were to go out or something, the other would still be able to run?