PDA

View Full Version : Using iPod as HU

Silverbane
01-31-2007, 11:41 PM
Is it possible to use a iPod as a head unit.

You might ask why, well, it is going into a 1977 Dodge aspen which is used as a car for showing here around edmonton, therefore, keeping the stock unit is imperitive. I am looking to know if it possible to run a iPod as a HU, and amping all the speakers and the subs.

How would this be possible?

BTW, I did use the search and found nothing...

entropie
02-01-2007, 01:44 AM
yes it is...you are going to have mess with input levels on the amp to compensate for the low input of the player.

on my winter beater i have this (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7220777&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat33100050027&id=1114639085343) connected between my sansa e280 and my "audiophile" crunch ds-504. at the amp i have splitter going from 2 - 4 so i can run all 4 channels of the amp. the amp is old, i don't have the option to choose my input source. some newer amps give the ability to only use 2 channel inputs and switch it to support 4 channels.

at the end of the day considering the tin can mazda and the components used, it works and doesn't sound completely horrible.. good luck

one more thing, i think ipod has a cable which utilizes the proprietary dock (opposed to the headphones jack) on one end with rca connectors on the other. using the dock port it said to give you a better signal compared to the headphones jack. don't ask me why.