PDA

View Full Version : HT sound quality and hook-up questions

fasteddie
01-31-2007, 03:01 PM
Hi,
I have been out of the audio scene for awhile. A couple years back I setup a system in my truck, built my own box and everything. Now, i am interested in setting up a sound system for my room. I would like to be able to connect some speakers/sub(better than the logitech's i have now) to my computer, as well as be able to connect them to an mp3 player. First, would connecting the speaker/sub to the mp3 player using 3.5mm/rca connectors be bad for the mp3 player, if only the sub has its own amp? Would i need a receiver to connect an mp3 player to the speakers? what if i wanted to keep the current computer speakers but add a better sub? could i split the 3.5mm connector on the back of the computer so that on wire goes to the speakers, and one goes to a 3.5mm/rca cord then to the amp and sub? Lastly, i have never really owned/heard a good home sound system, only ones in cars, and I am looking for hard hitting bass that you can almost feel in your chest, is that possible with a home subwoofer, would it be miles deeper/louder/better than my current logitech 8"? Thanks for any help with my questions!
also, what's the difference if any between car and home subwoofers?

joetama
02-01-2007, 03:59 PM
Hi,
I have been out of the audio scene for awhile. A couple years back I setup a system in my truck, built my own box and everything. Now, i am interested in setting up a sound system for my room. I would like to be able to connect some speakers/sub(better than the logitech's i have now) to my computer, as well as be able to connect them to an mp3 player. First, would connecting the speaker/sub to the mp3 player using 3.5mm/rca connectors be bad for the mp3 player, if only the sub has its own amp? Would i need a receiver to connect an mp3 player to the speakers? what if i wanted to keep the current computer speakers but add a better sub? could i split the 3.5mm connector on the back of the computer so that on wire goes to the speakers, and one goes to a 3.5mm/rca cord then to the amp and sub? Lastly, i have never really owned/heard a good home sound system, only ones in cars, and I am looking for hard hitting bass that you can almost feel in your chest, is that possible with a home subwoofer, would it be miles deeper/louder/better than my current logitech 8"? Thanks for any help with my questions!
also, what's the difference if any between car and home subwoofers?

Yes it would be VERY bad for the MP3 player to hook them directly to speaker that are not made for it.

Yes you would need a receiver...

Yes you can get a "Y" adaptar to drive the sub and the old speakers.

Yes you can use a car audio subwoofer in a home audio setup.

Yes you would need a plate amp to drive the new sub...

Any more questions?

fasteddie
02-01-2007, 06:16 PM
thanks a lot, those were the exact answers i was looking for. I have been doing more reading, and I am looking to setup a home system for primarily music, so I was going to go with a stereo receiver, but i have also read of using an integrated amp if i dont need a tuner(i sometimes listen to the radio, but ignoring that). Is the sound quality from an integrated amp significantly better than a stereo receiver? I don't think my ears are too sensitive or picky. what do you think? where can i see some integrated amps(have searched but not sure if what I was looking was an integrated amp) thanks!

1loudsuv
02-14-2007, 02:45 AM
b&w always has the right answers lol

joetama
02-14-2007, 11:40 AM
b&w always has the right answers lol

I do what I can.... :D

e-***** grows larger every minute.... :laugh:

jdawg
02-14-2007, 11:56 AM
If its just for your room for computer and some music I would just find a cheap receiver on ebay like 50x2 for your mains that has a sub out, or get a plate amp with high level inputs, which most do

dvrmstrng
02-14-2007, 12:00 PM
do what i did for my dorm...college student = low budget system but it sounds good and gets louder than you can imagine

100 watt receiver used off ebay - $50
two sets of floor speakers from garage sales- 1 set are some onkyo's other set has some 15" paper woofs in em - combined $40
dayton 120 subwoofer combo off partsexpress.com -$175
RCA to 3.5mm jack for the reciever -$7 at radio shack...

there ya go

joetama
02-14-2007, 12:04 PM
True... It isn't always the best idea go to out and get a set of Wilson speakers when you know someone might be messing with them....

JimJ
02-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Do you need multichannel, or is this strictly 2-channel?

From the title, I'm assuming it's 5.1 or greater...

joetama
02-14-2007, 12:13 PM
Do you need multichannel, or is this strictly 2-channel?

From the title, I'm assuming it's 5.1 or greater...

5.1 > 2 channel common Jim everyone knows that!!!! :laugh::laugh: