PDA

View Full Version : EVO rear door SUB pods

darqnez
01-29-2007, 12:40 AM
Hello, This site has been very helpful to me so thanks to you all for posting your work.

Ok so now that the homage *** smoochery is out of the way lets get to the dirty,I am not a noob to fabrication (metal wood, dash touch screens gauge pods etc ) but am to fiberglass. I tried installing some ED 7kv2 6.5 (7" in reality) subs in my EVO's rear deck with custom mounts, sounded like ***, so i decided sealed pods were the answer. I bought an extra set of panels for cheap and hacked them up with a dremel, cut out a 1/4 mdf backing, made some speaker rings, sunken ones, hot glue the rings to the mdf took off, re-hot glue until i get them perfect. Trick is to just use a dab of glue until its like you want and then just dump it all over the base, use WOOD hot glue, the general purpose isnt sticky/rigid enough. Then wrapped the whole thing in fleece from a oldnavy blanket that was really cool and took some talking to the wife to aquire from her =). Next will be the glassing....its 50's for highs here right now so im a lil scared to attempt it right now but so far its coming along ok i think....

Next after glassing i will need to fit it perfectly into the door, this will require grinding down glass here and there as well as filling some edges with body filler so that its flush, i think a milkshake will make this pretty easy to do if i tape off the door and fill with the pod in it.

Then after getting all that perfect im covering the whole thing in black lamb skin suede to match my seats.

2 problems have come up that I would be grateful for any advise you may offer:

1) The cup that was in the stock door to pull the door shut.... I have several ideas on how to do this but dont like any of them. a) I could build a little 1/4 mdf box, insert the stock cup into that and mold along the top of the pod, attached to the mdf backing so its completely sealed off from the pod and the glass isnt bearing the force of pulling the door shut....but this would ruin the lines of it. B) insert pod into glass when dry by cutting a hole for the cup....wouldnt ruin lines, but would bear the closing force and also would be a ***** to seal properly. c) screw it, passengers will just have to have someone shut the door for them.

2) i wrapped the fleece so tight that it bowed the backing a little, I think this is easily rectified by taking say a 3/4 mdf strip and screwing the pod to it from the bottom at each in, thus flattening it out before and during glassing so that when cured it will retain the shape and I will just have 2 small screw holes to fill ( use one for the wires).

let me know if you have any genius ways to resolve these issues and enjoy the pix:

darqnez
01-29-2007, 12:43 AM
more pix

ssonic
01-29-2007, 12:48 AM
**** that looks amazing now go finish and dont stop till you do.

dumple
01-29-2007, 12:50 AM
i think you should find another few blankets like that and do the rest of the car in that hehaha it looks funny as hell but cool

darqnez
01-29-2007, 12:54 AM
**** that looks amazing now go finish and dont stop till you do.

Thanks man! Im kinda obsessed with it so ill def finish!

i think you should find another few blankets like that and do the rest of the car in that hehaha it looks funny as hell but cool

I know huh? the one with the robot head is really cool! My wife regrets giving it to me now but they were onsale for 5 bux and only took half of it to do both pods.

dumple
01-29-2007, 12:56 AM
haha did she see the doors how can she not think its kick ***

darqnez
01-29-2007, 12:58 AM
Man you know women, they get used to the things you are good at so after a while its just meh.... I bet stephen hawkings wife is like, "yeah ok string theory of universal expansion....great....what do you want for dinner?"

lol

haha did she see the doors how can she not think its kick ***

ssonic
01-29-2007, 12:58 AM
well stop posting and get back to work dang it

darqnez
02-05-2007, 01:41 AM
update : did some glassing today as it was finally over 60, these are the mid-way pix

darqnez
02-05-2007, 01:44 AM
and here they are trimmed and with the rough edges taken off, stood on them, so i know they are strong enough, now im not liking the way they meet the mdf, so Im thinking when im all done sanding them smooth, I may mix up a lil resin and paint in all along the edges on the inside to get it super strong.

WaTTsLOk187
02-05-2007, 02:06 AM
Try mixing some saw dust with the resin or tear up some fiberglass strands and mix it with the resin. Mix the resin and hardener first then pour in the saw dust or the loose fiberglass strands.

darqnez
02-05-2007, 03:06 PM
I was thinking of some nice glass mix like this :

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=45&

same idea right? would be easy to paint along the inside seams and strengthen it up....

Try mixing some saw dust with the resin or tear up some fiberglass strands and mix it with the resin. Mix the resin and hardener first then pour in the saw dust or the loose fiberglass strands.