PDA

View Full Version : New Head Unit for Toyota Tacoma

halfstepdown88
01-27-2007, 08:31 PM
Okay, I have a factory system in my 2000 toyota tacoma. I'll want to upgrade my system eventually, and head unit is where to start right. Well I'll most likely get the Rainbow slc 265 Kick component system after having a new head for a while, and after that, I may eventually get a subwoofer.

Anyways, what I want is Mp3 playback, good with iPod (see the name and bands of songs on the screen, change song with the deck maybe?), and good sound equalizer options (of course right?). I NEVER listen to the radio so thats not important. MY coworker said something about making sure its like 80 x 4 or something so it can power a front end system. So I don't know if I'll need an amplifier for the Rainbow component system or just use the head if thats possible.

I listen to Pink floyd (sexiest band ever), pantera, ozzy osbourne, stuff like that, but also some techno with a lot of bass.

Any recomendations?

Pyro_By_Nature
01-27-2007, 08:35 PM
Well first things first, pretty decent taste in music :)

Honestly, I can't think of model numbers off hand.But if I were you I'd DEFINENTLY look into alpine head units.Sounds like what you need.

I'd recommend a decent quality amplifier for the components, instead of running them off of the head unit.

PS: Where in utah do you live?

halfstepdown88
01-27-2007, 09:39 PM
I live near salt lake city what about you?

I'll look up some alipine heads. Why do you recomend them?

Pyro_By_Nature
01-29-2007, 12:14 AM
I ived in south ogden from summer of '03 - summer of '05.I didn't mind it.But I prefer just to visit utah.

If I remember correctly some can control an ipod.The new pioneers might be worth a look too.I haven't looked at new hu's in about a year so I'm kinda out of the loop.But alpine has some quality stuff.

va tech7
01-29-2007, 03:24 PM
I live near salt lake city what about you?

I'll look up some alipine heads. Why do you recomend them?

Alpines are great for sound quality and from what I've heard do pretty good with ipods. I've heard pioneers are really slow if you use the adapter to control the ipod through the head unit but alpines are supposed to be faster.

tEh koRnDog
01-29-2007, 03:27 PM
kenwood x890, plays mp3's, has usb, i was able to play my ipod directly through it, listed the title and everything, Like you i never listened to the radio, this had so many options, plug my ipod in and i had a 3,000 song library ready to go. Im sellin mine, so if your interested, PM me, its in great shape

halfstepdown88
01-29-2007, 06:44 PM
I'm thinking i might want to get this
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-TZmNYrliiHl/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=286350&tab=essential_info&i=130DEHP780#Tab

This
http://www.premier-audio.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Rainbow%20SLC%20265 %20Kick&click=35

And to power the speakers and tweeters in the front this amplifier
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-usNOwNFBKuk/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=120&tab=essential_info&i=489AP600#Tab\

Does that look good? I guess after a while of that i could get like a 10" sub but that would do for a while.

HannaS10
01-29-2007, 06:50 PM
I have an Alpine CDA-9856 and it has the ipod hook up. It has good speed and it shows the info too. Its only like $200. Pic is in my sig.

halfstepdown88
01-30-2007, 05:37 PM
That head unit I posted, I don't really like the thought that I'm paying a lot for the OEL, does anyone know of a head unit like that one (great EQ options and all that) but maybe not so nice of a display? Or should I get that head unit? I think that one you can't turn off the internal amplifier too, is that bad?