PDA

View Full Version : Four 12" Sub Enclosure

Platestacker45
01-27-2007, 02:31 AM
I've been searchin up and down these threads for a solid enclosure for (4) 12" Subs and am not finding much. I'm upgrading from two Mofo's to four Kicker CVX 12's. It's gonna be sitting in my Explorer, so I've got plenty of room. I'm leaning on CVX style, subs up ports back. Does anyone have any tried and true boxes they have built before that they could pass on to me? Or any Quad 12" enclosure diagram/build plans? Thanks a lot guys!

galacticmonkey
01-27-2007, 03:00 AM
if i have time tomorrow i can design you a box. i always like seeing how my designs do :)

Platestacker45
01-27-2007, 03:04 AM
if i have time tomorrow i can design you a box. i always like seeing how my designs do :) Sweet bro! Were you at that meet in Clearwater a few weeks ago? ///// Or if anyone has any links to a page with a quad 12" box completed or preferably the t designs and diagram that I can look at. I'm having trouble finding anything!

uhoh45
01-27-2007, 04:55 AM
man if i was you i'd stick with the mofos rather then the kickers
Imo the mofos are better

bdawson72
01-27-2007, 04:59 AM

WTF are you thinking.....The CVX is a solid and very capable driver

silly noobx

Platestacker45
01-27-2007, 05:11 AM
Imo the mofos are better Why do you say this? I am actually temped to do that for the Mofo's are extremly loud. But I can bag 2 CVX's for 300 shipped and thats a killer deal. And I like to switch things up every once in a while.

rpfuror
01-27-2007, 08:54 AM
I have designed a couple 4 sub boxes for 12's

Here are some examples. IT all about what your targeting, I asssume SPL. Shot me your max dimensions and I'll throw something together.

Here a CRX style to give you an idea.
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q145/rpfuror/Box%20Design/4x12_8.jpg

galacticmonkey
01-27-2007, 03:29 PM
theres no question that you would be much happier with the 4 12" CVXs.

what are you looking for? sql? SPL? or just a daily box that will do a real nice #?

Platestacker45
01-27-2007, 07:18 PM
theres no question that you would be much happier with the 4 12" CVXs.

what are you looking for? sql? SPL? or just a daily box that will do a real nice #?
I'm looking for mostly SPL with this new setup. I can care less what it hits on the meter, as long as it's loud as possible to the ear. Maybe tuned to around 30-35hz.

galacticmonkey
01-27-2007, 07:30 PM
i definately got an idea for a nice slot-ported CRX box. ill do it late tonight when im just chillin.

Platestacker45
01-27-2007, 07:34 PM
i definately got an idea for a nice slot-ported CRX box. ill do it late tonight when im just chillin.
Thanks mang, that would be cool. Did you make it to that meet in Clearwater a few weeks ago?

galacticmonkey
01-27-2007, 07:37 PM
ya i was at the meet.

Platestacker45
01-27-2007, 07:52 PM
ya i was at the meet. So was I. I'm from Bradenton, born and raised all my life. And I was down there on Military leave for a while. It was pretty neet. Anyone else have have any other Quad 12" enclosure plans they could share?

galacticmonkey
01-28-2007, 03:00 AM
really? what kinda car did you have? i was the tall big blonde kid chillin with some girl that came with me.

im about to design this box.

galacticmonkey
01-28-2007, 03:03 AM
btw, what are your max dimensions?

galacticmonkey
01-28-2007, 03:45 AM
well this is what i came up with. will it fit?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b6/galamonkey/box1.jpg

you said you wanted loud, so i figured alot of port area tuned nice and low would do the trick for ya.

is that what you're lookin for?

Platestacker45
01-28-2007, 05:37 AM
well this is what i came up with. will it fit?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b6/galamonkey/box1.jpg

you said you wanted loud, so i figured alot of port area tuned nice and low would do the trick for ya.

is that what you're lookin for?
Dayum man, that box looks sick as hell. Is that 9.6^3 tuned to 30hz? I will need all measurments so I can make my cuts for wood. I will also go grab some measurements tomorrow of my Explorer to make sure it fits. It's a 06' Explorer 4-door. I diden't have my Explorer at that Clearwater meet because it was up here in Montana. I was on Military leave and drove my Mom's gold Ford Tuarus to the meet. I was wearing a Tan Southpole shirt and had a beard, and I had my girl with me too.

saywhat?
01-28-2007, 10:29 AM
I'm looking for mostly SPL with this new setup. I can care less what it hits on the meter, as long as it's loud as possible to the ear. Maybe tuned to around 30-35hz.

so your not looking for spl LOL

saywhat?
01-28-2007, 10:30 AM
that box looks poorly designed. but what do i know.

Platestacker45
01-28-2007, 11:51 AM
so your not looking for spl LOL
Haha, I belive I clearly wrote what I want and I'm sorry if I confused you. As stated I don't care much about the meter, I just want it to be as loud as possible to the ear. I don't see how it can do that without being SPL orienated (rather than SQ). Right? And please elaborate on how that box is poorly made, just curious. The more opinions the better, as long as they're educated and backed up. :)

galacticmonkey
01-28-2007, 03:11 PM
ya, how exactly is that poorly made?

Platestacker45
01-29-2007, 02:48 AM
Bump! Anymore of my fellow Audio Junkies have any 4 12" Sub Enclosure designs for a SUV? There gotta be more than just one out there!

rpfuror
01-29-2007, 12:58 PM
There was nothing wrong with the design posted above. With that amount of volume you are going to want to put alot of bracing. Also, if you want "louder" you might want to tune a little higher, but this is really a matter of opinion.

What type of music do you listen to?

oxygen65
01-29-2007, 04:04 PM
ive got one hell of a box for 4 12's it is 2.25 cu ft per chamber all 4 are in seperate chambers and each is tuned to 32hz. im actually looking to get rid of it. if you want i can send you some pics of it in a email cuz i cant figure out how to post them in here.

galacticmonkey
01-29-2007, 04:07 PM
well he said that he didnt care what it did on the meter, but just wanted it loud to the ear. if he doesnt care what the meter says, why not tune that low?

rpfuror
01-29-2007, 05:28 PM
No problem tuning it low, thats why I asked what music he listened to. Most music doesn't go much below 30Hz and for hiphop / r&b / rap it more like 34-36Hz where you find most the baselines. So I tune to the music of choice when I can;)

Platestacker45
01-29-2007, 09:04 PM
No problem tuning it low, thats why I asked what music he listened to. Most music doesn't go much below 30Hz and for hiphop / r&b / rap it more like 34-36Hz where you find most the baselines. So I tune to the music of choice when I can;)
I listen to almost all southern rap and thats it. And yea, I can care less what it will meter, just want it loud to the ear.

galacticmonkey
01-29-2007, 11:36 PM
with the 30hz tuning you will peak nice and low and have that low end on those songs that really drop.

so you going to build that one? or find a different design?

Platestacker45
01-30-2007, 02:02 AM
with the 30hz tuning you will peak nice and low and have that low end on those songs that really drop.

so you going to build that one? or find a different design?
Hell yea man, I'll build that one. As soon as I get done with my Girl's 5ft^3 @34hz box for her Type-R's. I don't see the specs for those port pieces in the diagram. Could you possible double cheack that diagram and give me a couple different views and really clear measurments on the sizes of the cuts. You know, different angles so I can see what board goes inside of what. Kind of like Moe Lester has his diagrams. That would be awsome! I sure do apprieciate all your help bro.

galacticmonkey
01-30-2007, 03:30 AM
as for what board goes inside what, just look at the picture and do it whatever way you want and whats easiest for you. just subtract 3/4" from the sides you need. just make sure pieces such as the top and bottom are single bases that are 34" x 40".

dont forget that theres a double baffle in that picture and included in the measurements. you could also flushmount the subs since you got a double baffle.

Platestacker45
01-30-2007, 12:50 PM
as for what board goes inside what, just look at the picture and do it whatever way you want and whats easiest for you. just subtract 3/4" from the sides you need. just make sure pieces such as the top and bottom are single bases that are 34" x 40".

dont forget that theres a double baffle in that picture and included in the measurements. you could also flushmount the subs since you got a double baffle.
I'm still confused on a few things. The measurement says 1' 9", which is 21 inches and you have the height as 20 inches. This would throw everything off! If my calculations are correct the port area is 18.75" x 9"? And the two port pieces are 18.75" x 24.25"? I think I've got everything calculated. Could you run some calculations as well and see if we come up with the same? I wanna make sure everything is perfect before I start this bad boy. Thanks

uhoh45
01-31-2007, 09:52 PM
Why do you say this? I am actually temped to do that for the Mofo's are extremly loud. But I can bag 2 CVX's for 300 shipped and thats a killer deal. And I like to switch things up every once in a while.

like you said the mofos are loud as hell and adding 2 more will make it tha tmuch louder