PDA

View Full Version : What specs you use with ported 10w6v2

R_Siks
01-26-2007, 07:29 PM
This is my first post so please bear with me! I picked up a 10w6v2 powered by a 500/1 and built the JL spec ported box which I thought sounded bad. Someone told me that the JL specs are on the small side in order to encourage people to buy their equipment. They recomended a box like this (for a small pickup) www.subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp?Ew=34&Eh=12&Dia=4&Xmax=15.2&Vd=.068&NumW=1&Vb=1.68&Fb=35&Qts=&Vas=&Fs=&CE=0
What do you guys think of this and for those running the same sub what are your specs (volume, tunning freq, etc)
Sorry for the newb question but I searched this whole site and didn't find a good answer.
thanks

R_Siks
01-28-2007, 07:25 PM
So nobody uses a JL 10w6v2 in a ported box (other than JL's design)??? Can anyone tell me if this sub should sound good if I build the box in the link?

evan
01-28-2007, 08:05 PM
This is my first post so please bear with me! I picked up a 10w6v2 powered by a 500/1 and built the JL spec ported box which I thought sounded bad. Someone told me that the JL specs are on the small side in order to encourage people to buy their equipment. They recomended a box like this (for a small pickup) http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/...&Vas=&Fs=&CE=0
What do you guys think of this and for those running the same sub what are your specs (volume, tunning freq, etc)
Sorry for the newb question but I searched this whole site and didn't find a good answer.
thanks
Can you be more specific about how it sounded bad? What didn't you like about it? What are you hoping to change by increasing the box size?

R_Siks
01-29-2007, 06:17 PM
I was very disappointed with mostly the output and to some degree the sq (I have owned and heard many systems, this is the second JL driver I've owned and first JL amp though). The reason I want to go to a bigger box is with both JL spec boxes, The sub would make a terrible popping sound at just over half volume and when I built the larger box (sealed .9), that sound would not appear until 3/4 volume. I set the gains with a dmm exactly how JL said. I have normally used sealed boxes(Mostly because my lack of experience with designing a vented enclosure) but after lurking this site for a few months I decided that ported best suited my listening style. I have heard many fantastic sounding ported boxes and would really love to go this route. I need to get this box built this week so any input would be very appreciated!
Thanks