PDA

View Full Version : Best company for mod chip?

igotthatjuice20
01-23-2007, 11:10 PM
I have an 04' Monte Carlo and I was looking to add a little horsepower to it ... what's the best and most trusted brand for mod chips and what other alternatives do I have to increase HP? I recently had two dual flowmasters put on and was thinking about a cold air intake ... any suggestions are welcome ... thansk in advance

Jared530
01-24-2007, 12:07 AM
superchips

BlownEARdRUMS
01-24-2007, 07:06 AM
CAI will only net maybe 5hp/5lb, depending on the car. Most people do one for aesthetic reasons. The same with mufflers, unless you do a cat back or header back, mandrel bent system, you'll only see small gains. A tune is a good idea, but the most effective form is a custom tune. It's a bit pricey but you will gain the most this type.

Alpine CDA-9815
01-24-2007, 07:53 PM
These guys do good work... http://www.pcmforless.com/

metalphreak87
01-25-2007, 12:28 PM
I have an 04' Monte Carlo and I was looking to add a little horsepower to it ... what's the best and most trusted brand for mod chips and what other alternatives do I have to increase HP? I recently had two dual flowmasters put on and was thinking about a cold air intake ... any suggestions are welcome ... thansk in advance

id do a K&N before the chip
but thats just me

SyKo13
01-26-2007, 03:58 AM
If you do a chip, you're jus powering the engine, and the tranny is staying the same, what I'm saying is, your tranny will die due to the engines power, tranny is made for that engine stock not modded

Eugenics
01-26-2007, 04:38 AM
If you do a chip, you're jus powering the engine, and the tranny is staying the same, what I'm saying is, your tranny will die due to the engines power, tranny is made for that engine stock not modded

Actually they tend to mix and match alot from the parts bin. And have for years. So your tranny may be used in several cars that have more power. I can think of the Grand Prix's right now.

Not that a chip that produces ~5% more power is going to cause that much stress.

.. you were being sarcastic... nevermind!

edit:

beanMR2
02-01-2007, 09:53 PM
mod chips are pure bs.

bigbirney420
02-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Mod chips are different for every cars. For the Monte, which is similar to my Grand Prix, except your not supercharged. Look into DHP they have a website. Chips dont add HP as much as they help future perfomance mods work. The DHP will firm up transmission shifts and enrich fuel delivery, plus they can raise shift points a little higher than factory setting to help acceleration. No chip will just raise you HP 100 unless its custom tune like on a Turbo Diesel. It adds for my car just beacause it gets more out of the supercharger, especially with the other mods I have done. It doesnt do as much for naturally aspirated vehicles.

95ZJ
02-04-2007, 11:27 PM
Just go get a custom tune at a dyno shop.

dumple
02-04-2007, 11:30 PM
and a turbo!!

jonnybusa
02-25-2007, 10:40 PM
superchips

to be honest, buying a chip is a total waste of money. you can spend upwards of $350 on a chip and gain 10 hp at most. The only time chips are a good power adder is when you are actually getting one custom burnt while on a dyno. I ve had experience w/ my cars where burnt chips made tons of extra power.
1 example is on my blown stang. I has just a superchips pop-in chip in it and it was making 505rwhp/536rwtq at the time. I burnt a custom one, and after fine tuning the fuel curve, it netted me an avg. of 58rwhp.......and she made 476rwhp down @ 2800rpm's.
Now my stang is making 1300+rwhp, so i dont need a chip.haha.

your best bet is to spend the 300+ on a nos kit. Get 100+ hp, easy as hell to install, and its not on ALL THE TIME.