PDA

View Full Version : ported wedge box

Mr. Smiff
01-23-2007, 07:46 PM
Would putting the port on the slanted side of a wedge box affect the port?

skadude016
01-23-2007, 07:46 PM
yes
the end

jeepintn
01-23-2007, 07:48 PM
no, as long as you "box" the slanted portion in and keep the port consistant if that makes sense

PowerNaudio
01-23-2007, 10:02 PM
no it wont, you can have a port with what ever shape you need. some shapes are out of the question of course. but the slant will not affect the port as long as everything is taken into consideration.

Mr. Smiff
01-24-2007, 06:42 PM
no, as long as you "box" the slanted portion in and keep the port consistant if that makes sense

So if I make the opening on the inside of the box with the same slant it will work?it wont have port noise?

Mr. Smiff
01-24-2007, 06:49 PM
no it wont, you can have a port with what ever shape you need. some shapes are out of the question of course. but the slant will not affect the port as long as everything is taken into consideration.

Whats everthing?

jeepintn
01-24-2007, 06:50 PM
So if I make the opening on the inside of the box with the same slant it will work?it wont have port noise?

correct

PowerNaudio
01-24-2007, 09:10 PM
Whats everthing?
everything that has to do with a port.
with a more then common shape for a port then the more increase in difficulty for some designers to calculate port area. with port area comes port length. with port length comes, port shape again, as in L shape port. laveringht port, simple straight port, everything!.
So if your port has a slant to it. then you have to figure out the port area the length and if its going to be a straight port or if its going to have to take turn some where in the enclosure in order to keep the length proper.

if your port starts with a shape, there is no where stating that it has to have the same shape along the rest of the port.

Mr. Smiff
01-25-2007, 08:56 PM
The port is going to be a vent and its going to have a bend in it. I figured that if it wasnt constant through out it wouldnt tune right. But I think i see what your saying it doesnt matter so much about the shape it is the area that counts. If it had a irregular shape it would have more port noise?

PowerNaudio
01-25-2007, 09:20 PM
If it had a irregular shape it would have more port noise?

as long as the port stays as strait as possible and with the proper port area then you have effectively reduced port noise.

PS: your port area should stay the same from start to end, if you don't then you're actually making a different design of enclosure then the simple ported enclosure. it would fall some where between the horn loaded enclosures.

Mr. Smiff
01-26-2007, 08:14 PM
What do you use to calculate port area?

PowerNaudio
01-27-2007, 12:08 AM
calculating the effective port area of some chapes (http://www.ajdesigner.com/phpgeometricformulas/square_area_a.php)

here are the ones for a triangle (http://www.ajdesigner.com/phptriangle/equilateral_triangle_perimeter_p.php)

Mr. Smiff
01-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the help