PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a device in existence...

headless
01-23-2007, 01:46 PM
That would plug into my Eclipse's AUX-IN port, take a CD and play it, then compare via it's own microphone what it is 'hearing' from the mic vs. what it's 'playing' from the CD? If this does not exist, i have a feeling most of the tuning is done with specific test tones at various freq's to check for volume level consistency, which seems like (a) would take a ****ing lot of effort and (b) would not handle things like...multi-freq harmonics where a speaker responds differently at X freq while playing Y freq than if it were simply playing X freq by itself. I think my eclipse deck does something kinda like this, but (a) it outputs raw noise, not music; do the speakers react the same way to mass noise as to specific music? And (b) the mic i have is from my old CD8454 and is a ****ing miniplug (3.5mm), but my cd7000 has RCA inputs for aux in :/ What i'd really like to be able to see is a graph, 20hz-20khz that shows at a set volume setting what my speakers actually put out with a line drawn that represents the 'ideal' volume. Then i could tweak with my PEQ settings and run the test again to see the effect it has on the output.

I'm curious about this because it seems like when playing trance, techno, etc. i never feel like i'm being assaulted, but when some heavy electric guitar plays it's very ear piercing ~2.5-4.5khz requiring some cutting @ 3.15khz and 4khz to eliminate. This kind of thing makes me really wish i could test to see if my ears are simply overly sensitive to that freq range or if there really is a serious boost at that freq because of cabin resonance or other reasons. Input? If there's no device that can play source media, know what is expected on the output and sense differences between the two, then display them back to me, what's the next best thing and where can i buy it?