PDA

View Full Version : Increasing Pickup

Kimb0
01-22-2007, 10:44 PM
Well i am a great fan of doing up old cars esp box like cars lol....
i recently acquired a Volvo 740 Turbo 88' i have cranked the Turbo to max but obviously it still has some lag which is normal but i have no idea how to remove some of this lag its really holding me back. ive had the engine cleaned just need some suggestions on 'cheap' or relatively cheap upgrades i could get to increase my cars pickup.
It has 220,000 on the clock and all parts are stock.

Hope Someone can help ! :D

BassAce
01-22-2007, 10:46 PM
Maybe put a turbo in it.

J/k

phantom240
01-22-2007, 10:47 PM
JESUS that was a long post. Anywayz... how bout a better turbo, or a better intercooler? Boost controller? Tune the ECU?

Kimb0
01-22-2007, 10:55 PM
lol no **** about that post....

ive looked into it a bit it can be quite costly becuase its a volvo... a ecu tune wouldnt cost much id think ? i was thinking more along the lines of actual engine changes port n polish something like that?

BlownEARdRUMS
01-23-2007, 08:04 PM
I love Volvo's especially 740 gl turbos. Check out turbobricks.com. Huge knowledge base there.
First I would pull off the turbo, either get it rebuilt/replaced, or cleaned really good, especially the turbine side. Next upgrade your exhaust system. Turbos need as little back pressure as possible to be able to perform at their best. Either get a freer flowing muffler, or just delete the muffler and stock exhaust altogether. The less piping the gases have to travel the less resistance, and less resistance=less lag. You can get a custom tune, which will cost anywhere from 200-1000 bucks. But in all honesty, a custom tune is better than any pre-burned chip anywhere. Also, PLEASE make sure your oil is in tip top shape, bad oil is the #1 killer of turbos, you got to keep the bearings lubed. Frequent oil changes are a MUST. There are also kits out there that use a short No2 spray to significantly lower or eliminate turbo lag altogether. Oh yea, :needpics:

Hope this helps

RedlineAccord
01-24-2007, 06:51 PM
I'm sorry but all of those mods would blow the sheeit outta that old *** motor. A lot of internals would have to be replaced/checked or maintainenced to run more boost on a motor with that many miles on it.

phantom240
01-24-2007, 07:29 PM
CHanging the boost is one thing. Making the car run better on the same amount of boost is quite another.

LoudCrownVic
01-24-2007, 09:27 PM
Your turbo is likely worn out... The ceramic bearings inside are likely on their way out. I'd say it would be an important thing to rebuild or replace to increase speed.

Blowneardrums has got it mostly, but you are looking at a big, possibly very expensive project.

Silver
01-24-2007, 09:32 PM
Have fun rebuliding that ish. =)

We maxxed out a turbo on a 89 benzo diesel.

Boom.

/end

spudracer326
01-24-2007, 09:34 PM
Your turbo is likely worn out... The ceramic bearings inside are likely on their way out. I'd say it would be an important thing to rebuild or replace to increase speed.

Blowneardrums has got it mostly, but you are looking at a big, possibly very expensive project.

X2 there is no such thing as building a cheap and reliable high boost turbo car...

CBFryman2
01-24-2007, 09:40 PM
...4" open exaust...

Alpine CDA-9815
01-24-2007, 11:47 PM
LOL @ maxing out turbo.

As said I would suggest rebuilding or replacing the turbo ASAP.

azbass
01-24-2007, 11:49 PM
you can only get so much out of a stock turbo i belive.

LoudCrownVic
01-25-2007, 12:03 AM
you can only get so much out of a stock turbo i belive.

Def... Plus, if you are running exxtreme boost you can burn the bearings out faster than normal because of the excess heat (especially with a stock exhaust and no intercooler and poor/inadequate oil circulation to the turbo for the increased boost), possibly freezing or badly damaing the turbofan and therefor leaving you with a fancy exhaust blocker. You also run the risk of blowing a headgasket due to the higher than stock boost.

Also, I reccommend making sure your oil is religiously changed. The oil cools the turbo and lubricates those bearings AND your engine.

You might find a used turbo from a junkyard car with low miles.

Kimb0
01-29-2007, 10:23 AM
sorry about the late reply ive been doing my sound system in it atm which is being a total ***** but its done now so yay. umm the service log states the turbo has been replaced just under 4years ago so its practically new. the oil is clear i checked it today when i put it on my finger i could see through it thats a good thing im told :P my dad knows a bit about cars so installation is no worry. do you want any pics of the engine bay specifically? ive been told like someone said change the exhaust system which im considering. what inspired me is this video well worth the watch though im sure half the parts arent even stock lol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3h-iIIR8yw

BlownEARdRUMS
02-04-2007, 10:06 PM
sorry about the late reply ive been doing my sound system in it atm which is being a total ***** but its done now so yay. umm the service log states the turbo has been replaced just under 4years ago so its practically new. the oil is clear i checked it today when i put it on my finger i could see through it thats a good thing im told :P my dad knows a bit about cars so installation is no worry. do you want any pics of the engine bay specifically? ive been told like someone said change the exhaust system which im considering. what inspired me is this video well worth the watch though im sure half the parts arent even stock lol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3h-iIIR8yw

Nah I'm almost 100% sure that it's pretty built up. Or at very least completely rebuilt.

Kimb0
02-05-2007, 09:11 AM
lol yeah youve ot to admit its a fkn beast lol 500 and somin HP lol

jdawg
02-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Cant beleive nobody mentioned atleast an A/F gauge. I really wouldnt run anything above stock boost pressure without one.

Kimb0
02-05-2007, 10:01 AM
yeah thats a good start A/F gauge could prove useful lol. ive gone off the topic of hotting up my current volvo ive decided to buy a car that comes WITH power then jst give it more haha. not sure which car to get now dont know if i should go with the crowd and get a holden or go for a asian import