PDA

View Full Version : Effects of volume? (not the knob one)

Frankensuby
01-21-2007, 08:26 PM
Ok, So I customed up a box for my trunk about 2 months ago, but I didn't have the amp at the time to keep it in the trunk and powered. I did however, hook it up to a buddy's Bazooka 200 RMS amplifier for a trial run.

The box probably has an internal volume of .6 or .7 after I have the Sub installed. It is a bit on the smaller side. My question is what effect does this have on the sound of the sub? Does it detract from low note hits? Or loudness? Or even cause a bad sounding sub?

I ask because when I ran it through the trial run on the Bazooka, it sounded like it was bottoming out, but the sub is 450 RMS and has been noted to be really reliable, lound, and clear for the dollar. Do you think it was the amp? I felt like I couldn't move the gains much at all before the sub sounded odd, but not blown. I'm only running 2.2v pre-outs, so gains are usually set higher.

so?

Frankensuby
01-21-2007, 10:57 PM
Nothing?

NoLimit
01-21-2007, 11:01 PM
what kinda sub?

probably too small, try some polyfill?

rpfuror
01-21-2007, 11:05 PM
It will add some stress to the coil and may add to much heat to it if your driving it hard, which inturn can damage the sub after time. This is really only worst case, at least you not going to run the driver as effecient as it would be in the correct box.

Frankensuby
01-21-2007, 11:16 PM
Sub - Phoenix Gold Xenon X10D2 wired into a 4 ohm load. it can handle a beating, but it says the RMS is 450. I just bought a Xenon 600.1 that was benched at 821 :naughty:

Anyways, I'll be running 500 RMS to it.

I'm guesstimating that the volume is .65 with Driver. I don't know how to measure otherwise. Because of the round corner, it was hard to even get a general idea.

Here's the box (ugly, but It's going to be cleaned up, primed, painted, then glossed my car's color):
http://www.caraudio.com/gallery/2/9/2/8/9/AngleView.bmp
http://www.caraudio.com/gallery/2/9/2/8/9/Backangleview.bmp

Frankensuby
01-21-2007, 11:16 PM
God I hate Apple computers.

nismos14
01-21-2007, 11:53 PM
Could be something wrong with: 1) The blowzooka amp, 2) The sub.......... I would lean towards it being the amp, but obviously no way to tell. That box is on the small side though.

Frankensuby
01-22-2007, 12:02 AM
Ya, I'm sure my box is too small. I think it is roughly .75 without driver, minus .12 volume for driver, which equals .62 internal volume.

The driver sheet says it can handle as small as .5 internal volume, so I am safe running their RMS to the sub (sealed enclosure), but it sayd I would want 1.65 for musical? That mean for SQ reasons? Because if So, I want SQ more than just SPL.