PDA

View Full Version : Staples Or Screws

johns
01-21-2007, 04:56 PM
I was wondering I've seen alot of people using staples to build subwoofer boxes instead of screws.
My question is what size staples to use and are they as strong as screws if you
use alot of them

thank you for your comments

azbass
01-21-2007, 05:00 PM
its all personal preference, how people build boxes.

baseballer1100
01-21-2007, 05:05 PM
I use staples. Its my preference

kickerlivinloud
01-21-2007, 05:06 PM
11/2" staples will work fine. They are plenty strong with glue, we use them at work all the time, and they have yet to fail us. I build houses for a living...

Jon

djman37
01-21-2007, 05:07 PM
I was wondering I've seen alot of people using staples to build subwoofer boxes instead of screws.
My question is what size staples to use and are they as strong as screws if you
use alot of them

thank you for your comments

just keep in mind, it is the GLUE that holds the box together. Screws or staples just let you keep building while the glue dries.

Fast1one
01-21-2007, 05:16 PM
You dont need anything with perfect cuts...use a table saw and wood glue, nothing else ;)

PowerNaudio
01-21-2007, 07:02 PM
wood glue is a very strong method to fasten your together, with out issues.
but by personal preference i would never use that fastening method alone, since to me it seams to be kind of the prefab way. again personal preference here. nothing agains those who use that method alone.

now one of my personal prefrence and used more often then i like to is to use glue and brad nails, its fast and easy. who doesn't like that. lol

now my favorite method of fastening an enclosure together, although it takes longer and some people would say its a total waist of time and money, is the glue and screws fastening method.

the glue being titebond II again personal preference, i like the fact that it has a fast curing time. the screws, i use the 1 5/8" long coarse screws, reason for that is because if you drive the screw 1/8" deep on a 3/4" mdf panel. you'll have close to a 1" of screw on the other side of the panel for the mechanical hold. now i use a kind of special screw driving bit on my electric drill, that stops the screw at 1/8" below the panel.
now a solid technic is to have 6" of separation between screws and predrilling with a 3/32" drill bit, that way youre sure to not split the wood, using the 3/32" drill bit, i have found that the screw gets more bite on the wood. while not spliting the wood. of coarse make sure you stay at least 1.5" to 3" away from any corners to avoid spliting of the wood if it was to happen.

jmanpc
01-21-2007, 07:05 PM
Yeah, I use Titebond (We pronounce it "***-e-bond":D) and 1 5/8" coarse drywall screws.

teylix
01-21-2007, 11:17 PM
yeah doesnt matter.

glue is all you need really. screws will fail LONG before anything happens to the glued connections

Bumpn Focus
01-22-2007, 09:08 AM
I like using screws. Pretty much because thats how I was taught, and I've pretty much stuck with it.

rpfuror
01-22-2007, 09:54 AM
I have used both many times. I like the braid nailer approach as it is much quicker and you don't have to counter sink anything. The only thing with either is that if you get to close to the edge of the wood you WILL split it.

With straight cuts and time, I just glue, clamp and let dry.

PowerNaudio
01-22-2007, 09:56 AM
yeah doesnt matter.

glue is all you need really. screws will fail LONG before anything happens to the glued connections

hmm that is very interesting. would you be kind enough to elaborate and provide more detailed information on how a screw will fail LONG before anything happens to the glue connection.
im not arguing your knowledge on this subject, just trying to get more info so i can increase my knowledge on this particular subject.

bjfish11
01-22-2007, 02:29 PM
I use screws and wood glue. This is because I dont clamp my panels. I personally dont think brads (or staples) alone will pull the panels together tight enough to make a good joint. Screws take longer, but to me, its not worth it.

kickerlivinloud
01-22-2007, 02:32 PM
I use screws and wood glue. This is because I dont clamp my panels. I personally dont think brads (or staples) alone will pull the panels together tight enough to make a good joint. Screws take longer, but to me, its not worth it.

2X!!!!! Screws are the best for pulling the panels together.

Jon

Fast1one
01-22-2007, 04:06 PM
hmm that is very interesting. would you be kind enough to elaborate and provide more detailed information on how a screw will fail LONG before anything happens to the glue connection.
im not arguing your knowledge on this subject, just trying to get more info so i can increase my knowledge on this particular subject.Its very hard to get a good answer on that...on one hand its obvious that glue is stronger than the screw, conduct a simple test yourself. Screw two panels together and glue the other two with wood glue. The screws will snap or sheer the wood off before the wood glue fails. Ive done it :)

However, its hard to tell if using nails/screws in conjunction with glue will increase or decrease the strength of the joints. The way i see it however, if the glue is stronger than the wood itself, why would you need anything else? ;)

rpfuror
01-22-2007, 04:49 PM

I completely agree, the nails will not hold tight with out the clamps. If I due use them it is only for additional support while the clamps are inplace (not that its really needed), but just for piece of mind I guess. I was getting sick of counter sinking and sanding.

Lil_KB
01-22-2007, 04:51 PM
I use screws and wood glue. This is because I dont clamp my panels. I personally dont think brads (or staples) alone will pull the panels together tight enough to make a good joint. Screws take longer, but to me, its worth it.

x2

bikinpunk
01-22-2007, 04:59 PM
I've always used screws and glue. If your cuts are less than perfect (thank you Home Depot) screws are a must.

Also, I don't even have those dang angle clamps. I'd like to get some though. It's HORRIBLE trying to hold two long pieces of 3/4" MDF up together with one hand while pre-drilling holes. :mad:

lowgmc94
01-22-2007, 05:20 PM
u want to see screws i got board awhile back :rolleyes:

PowerNaudio
01-22-2007, 05:39 PM
u want to see screws i got board awhile back :rolleyes:

thats way too many and actually weakens the wood panel by making a very long split along the edge of the wood you're screwing.
6" spacing should be more then enough to hold the enclosure.

PowerNaudio
01-22-2007, 06:02 PM
The way i see it however, if the glue is stronger than the wood itself, why would you need anything else? ;)

you use screws because of the mechanical hold that it applies on the panels its clamping. it give the wood an extra way of staying together instead of coming apart.

now, if you want to test the glue vs glue and screws theory, the which one is best.
i suggest using compressed air on a pair of small enclosure, one with plain old glue and the other with glue and screws. but use the screws the right way.
you'll learn that the enclosure with the screws will actually hold more PSI, then the enclosure that was held together by glue alone. and is not because the glue gives up but because the wood gives. the extra clamping force of the screws is what make that combination of glue and screws much better.

Fast1one
01-22-2007, 06:23 PM
you use screws because of the mechanical hold that it applies on the panels its clamping. it give the wood an extra way of staying together instead of coming apart.

now, if you want to test the glue vs glue and screws theory, the which one is best.
i suggest using compressed air on a pair of small enclosure, one with plain old glue and the other with glue and screws. but use the screws the right way.
you'll learn that the enclosure with the screws will actually hold more PSI, then the enclosure that was held together by glue alone. and is not because the glue gives up but because the wood gives. the extra clamping force of the screws is what make that combination of glue and screws much better.Perhaps your right, but unless you have a ton of pressure in that enclosure, wood glue alone will still be fine..in an SPL enclosure, I can see how they can come in play. In that case however, I much rather add additional bracing than a ton of screws. All personal preference :veryhapp:

azbass
01-22-2007, 06:24 PM
real men fiberglass their enclosures hehe

lowgmc94
01-22-2007, 09:09 PM
i got a fiberglass enclosure also i did

azbass
01-22-2007, 09:11 PM
respect

PowerNaudio
01-22-2007, 09:27 PM
youre right. http://img1.putfile.com/thumb/12/36222341968.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4369061)lol

geowick07
01-23-2007, 12:19 AM
TiteBond III and 1 5/8" coarse thread drywall screws here. Never had an enclosure fail on me, and i have built plenty of enclosures.

R/T Pimp
01-23-2007, 10:24 PM
I use elmer's wood glue and put a few screws down to clamp the box and the finish with brad nails every 3".