PDA

View Full Version : Down to 2 Need Help in Final Decision...

MBrock4u
01-21-2007, 04:53 PM
Well after careful though and research on both head units,I have got it down to 2. I am really wrestling with this decision and would like some input from the forum. Kenwood Excelon X990 or the Pioneer Premier P880. When making your opinion, I would like you to consider the following: Screen flash and dash, downloading images and what not, have no bearing on my selection whatsoever! With that being said, my system in my car has been designed to the Excelon sound and I love that. Upgrading to the X990 would give me the enhancement qualities the X589 does not have, and a very simple switchout. The p880 would change the way my system sounds, and i'm not sure what that would sound like. The p880 is a beautiful deck with many tweeking abilities. I have nothing but good things to say about either one. I am looking for the best sound quality and thats a tough call here. Like I have stated in other post, the reason for all of this is to be able to take my X-589 and put it in my truck project I can get either deck for about the same price. The forums input on this will be very helpful in making the final decision. I am also interested in knowing why you would choose either deck. Thanks! :)

Frankensuby
01-21-2007, 04:55 PM
Heads up, the 990 screen has been known to make a buzz sound when all music is off. It isn't buzzing through the speakers; rather the buzz comes directly from the TFT screen itself.

MBrock4u
01-21-2007, 04:58 PM
Humm...interesting. Is that really a problem??

GrnEydDvl
01-21-2007, 05:03 PM
I've had no issues at all with my 880prs. It is a steal at the online price considering all it has to offer and the way it looks.

Don't know anything about the other deck you are looking at though.

MBrock4u
01-21-2007, 05:11 PM
I know, it is beautiful.

galacticmonkey
01-21-2007, 05:12 PM
id go pioneer... their HUs are just top notch stuff.

Pickler
01-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Pioneer has some really great HUs. You might want to also check out Eclipses HUs.

jshillin
01-23-2007, 09:12 AM
Humm...interesting. Is that really a problem??

No, it's really not a problem. You have to put your head down by the unit with your car off and no music playing to hear it. I have the x990 and love it. It has many, many options for fine tuning. Best head unit I have had yet. I've had many Excelons in the past as well as a few other high end decks.

Go with the Excelon, you won't regret it!!

hemiscott
01-23-2007, 09:16 AM
Pioneer 880prs ftw !

adam71
01-23-2007, 10:41 AM
First off let me say that I am a Pioneer guy. Next let me say that these decks are pretty close to a tie. What one lacks the other has, and vice versa. They both have about equal pros and cons.

S/N ratio:
Kenwood 990 - 110 db.
Premier 880 - 105 db.
kenwood is better

Equalization:
990 - 4 band parametric
880 - dual L/R 16 band graphic
pioneer is better, atleast in my opinion

Preouts.
990 - 3 sets of 5 volt
880 - 3 sets of 5 volt
pretty even assuming the resistances are the same

Radio.
990 - FM, AM, Sirius, HD Radio
880 - FM, AM, Sirius, XM
depending on what you like will make the winner of this category.

Crossovers:
990 - 2 way
880 - 2 way in standard (STD) mode. 3 way in network (NW) mode for going fully active.
Pioneer clearly better in this facet.

Those are about the only categories that I can think of. I would suggest that if you're not planning on going (active) in the future and you've grown to love the Kenwood sound I would say go with the 990. However if you think you may go active someday then the 880 should be your choice as I don't think you'd regret that choice either. In terms of looks, that is totally up to the user. I like them both but prefer the simple elegance of the 880. (Pioneer guy would say that lol) But looks are even more subjective than sound quality so only you can decide that.

iceteebone
01-23-2007, 10:48 AM
First off let me say that I am a Pioneer guy. Next let me say that these decks are pretty close to a tie. What one lacks the other has, and vice versa. They both have about equal pros and cons.

S/N ratio:
Kenwood 990 - 110 db.
Premier 880 - 105 db.
kenwood is better

Equalization:
990 - 4 band parametric
880 - dual L/R 16 band graphic
pioneer is better, atleast in my opinion

Preouts.
990 - 3 sets of 5 volt
880 - 3 sets of 5 volt
pretty even assuming the resistances are the same

Radio.
990 - FM, AM, Sirius, HD Radio
880 - FM, AM, Sirius, XM
depending on what you like will make the winner of this category.

Crossovers:
990 - 2 way
880 - 2 way in standard (STD) mode. 3 way in network (NW) mode for going fully active.
Pioneer clearly better in this facet.

Those are about the only categories that I can think of. I would suggest that if you're not planning on going (active) in the future and you've grown to love the Kenwood sound I would say go with the 990. However if you think you may go active someday then the 880 should be your choice as I don't think you'd regret that choice either. In terms of looks, that is totally up to the user. I like them both but prefer the simple elegance of the 880. (Pioneer guy would say that lol) But looks are even more subjective than sound quality so only you can decide that.

if you notice a difference in that s/n ratio i'll give you a 3 m&m's. i'd go with the pioneer for the better tuning features. also the 880 has TA not sure about the kenwood

adam71
01-23-2007, 10:59 AM
if you notice a difference in that s/n ratio i'll give you a 3 m&m's. i'd go with the pioneer for the better tuning features. also the 880 has TA not sure about the kenwood

Yes, the Kenwood has time alignment which is why I didn't bother listing it.

zSnb
01-23-2007, 01:53 PM
880 because it has more tuning options.

explorer2
01-23-2007, 08:56 PM
Tough call, I love my excelon but the pioneer is great too. I think for me it would come down to what ever I get a better deal on.

HardCoreSound
01-23-2007, 09:35 PM
880 because of all of its features and i love pioneer. ++ it looks so mint

MBrock4u
01-23-2007, 10:01 PM
They can be had for close to each other. I am going to a audio shop this weekend to listen to both of them. I will be able to tweek around with both of them. That should close the deal. I hope. Thanks for the input all. :) The deal is I know how good a Excelon sounds, and a new upgraded one sounds even more promishing. Either way, my truck will get my Excelon from my car, WOO HOO!