PDA

View Full Version : Found My Next Head Unit: Alpine iDA-X001

bri487
01-19-2007, 12:58 AM
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=iDA-X001

looks a little funky but i like the idea. my stereo man informed me of it today. available sometime this month. i have to get a new deck anyway because i want the hard wired steering wheel controls and the 9855 doesnt have the same exact function. looks ******.

j3bus2k3
01-19-2007, 01:02 AM
What I was to understand is that its literally a receiver and not a CD, MP3/WMA player like the other models...

zSnb
01-19-2007, 01:33 AM
that thing is ugly as hell

bri487
01-19-2007, 01:34 AM
but it will be way easier to control than a 9857 when it comes to ipods.

spudracer326
01-19-2007, 01:35 AM
that cant play cd;s though I do beleave, only mp3 etc...I suppose you could hook up a changer...kinda cool though

bri487
01-19-2007, 01:53 AM
that cant play cd;s though I do beleave, only mp3 etc...I suppose you could hook up a changer...kinda cool though

i dont think i put more than 3 cds in my 9855, but those 3 were all for SQ. and i think it does play cd's though.

adam71
01-19-2007, 05:37 AM
i dont think i put more than 3 cds in my 9855, but those 3 were all for SQ. and i think it does play cd's though.

No. I don't think it does. If you look at all the other decks in that lineup and they say CD/MP3/receiver. That deck says "digital media receiver". I think you'd be making a big mistake by getting that unit but if you love your ipod that much then go ahead.

BTW, just when I thought Alpine units couldn't get any uglier they go and prove me wrong again.

ramos
01-19-2007, 07:24 AM
Nope , no cd . Just tuner and usb connection . You can connect a changer if you want . Actually for some odd reason I see the market going this way in the future :)

Flipx99
01-19-2007, 08:20 AM
I am still holding out on the ipod until I find a use for one.

It looks like the market is leaving me behind, cramming units with feature I could care less about and leaving out the ones that I do.

geowick07
01-19-2007, 08:22 AM
As Ramos said, I also see the digital media market taking lead over CD's. IPod's are taking over, as are there counterparts. i.e., Zune, and just regular MP3 players. CD's will go the way of the cassette in not that long, IMO.
But, in defense of CD's, i will still own a regular CD deck for a long time to come. But, if you only listen to your IPod, then this deck may be the way to go. Let us know how you like it if you get it. Would be a good candidate for the Review Thread.

adam71
01-19-2007, 10:26 AM
Guys, I think you're talking nonsense. There is no way car audio as an industry is going to leave CDs behind. Do you have any idea how many CDs are out in circulation? Its a staggering number to say the least. Do you also know how many people DO NOT and NEVER WILL buy an ipod?? That number is also staggering. Saying CD will go the way of the cassette is completely wrong. SACD and DVD-Audio are superior to CD and they couldn't even come close to accomplishing this feat. In fact they couldn't even get their feet off the ground. So how would an inferior format have a chance?? Most of my MP3s that I have on my computer and burn onto CD for my car are ripped from CDs I own. Atleast then I know they're of decent quality for an MP3. CD will be around for a long time for 3 reasons.

1 - Too many CD's in circulation to not incorporate into a player.

2 - Still superior in SQ over compressed formats and these so called "lossless" formats.

3 - It's too easy and cheap to burn a CD on your PC these days.

Flipx99
01-19-2007, 10:29 AM
Guys, I think you're talking nonsense. There is no way car audio as an industry is going to leave CDs behind. Do you have any idea how many CDs are out in circulation? Its a staggering number to say the least. Do you also know how many people DO NOT and NEVER WILL buy an ipod?? That number is also staggering. Saying CD will go the way of the cassette is completely wrong. SACD and DVD-Audio are superior to CD and they couldn't even come close to accomplishing this feat. In fact they couldn't even get their feet off the ground. So how would an inferior format have a chance?? Most of my MP3s that I have on my computer and burn onto CD for my car are ripped from CDs I own. Atleast then I know they're of decent quality for an MP3. CD will be around for a long time for 3 reasons.

1 - Too many CD's in circulation to not incorporate into a player.

2 - Still superior in SQ over compressed formats and these so called "lossless" formats.

3 - It's too easy and cheap to burn a CD on your PC these days.

I bet some people were thinking the same thing about cassette 10 years ago. I could see if you bought CDs on a memory stick or something like that, I just don't do the downloading music thing.

mp3s are more consumer friendly than SACD. 5/10 people couldn't tell the difference I would bet. But 9 of 10 could tell the difference between an ipod and CD (physically, not the sound quality)

ramos
01-19-2007, 10:36 AM
Most of you guys are too young to remember . But the exact same thing was said about cassettes and vhs tapes . I'm not saying they will go completely away from cd's instantly . I have seen it happen with several different formats over the past 40 years :)

adam71
01-19-2007, 10:45 AM
I bet some people were thinking the same thing about cassette 10 years ago. I could see if you bought CDs on a memory stick or something like that, I just don't do the downloading music thing.

mp3s are more consumer friendly than SACD. 5/10 people couldn't tell the difference I would bet. But 9 of 10 could tell the difference between an ipod and CD (physically, not the sound quality)

NOPE !! 10 years ago the CD format was already 13 years old. In fact 1989 was the year that CDs in circulation matched the number of vinyl albums in circulation. Since then they have become the stronghold format for music. The only reason cassettes didn't make it was because they wear out and have a limited dynamic range. The only thing that kept them around was the fact there were still alot of cars that had cassette players and cassettes were about the only medium for recording since CD burning on your PC hadn't taken effect yet. Comparing CD to MP3 is NOT the same as comparing CD to cassette.

Don't get me wrong I agree MP3 is more consumer friendly. However, how do you think alot of people listen to MP3s?? On a CD. Atleast I do anyway. You have to admit though that the MP3 players such as IPOD and it's competition pretty much appeals to the younger crowd. What about the other part of the market that still appreciate the sound of CD?? Do you really think thats all just going to go away?? Don't think so. Anyway, there is only one player built by Alpine that made this player and chose to leave out a cd player. All of Pioneer's new USB head units will also play CDs. So I hardly see how CDs are in danger. Leave it to Alpine to make such a unit.:rolleyes:

prochobo
01-19-2007, 10:47 AM
nm

adam71
01-19-2007, 10:51 AM
Most of you guys are too young to remember . But the exact same thing was said about cassettes and vhs tapes . I'm not saying they will go completely away from cd's instantly . I have seen it happen with several different formats over the past 40 years :)

You're not that much older than me. I never had a problem with cassettes and vhs going away. They were phased out by SUPERIOR formats being CD and DVD. I just don't see it happening with an inferior sounding format. If it does happen it will be a sad day to say the least. But atleast we know it won't happen anytime soon.

ramos
01-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Money is the root of all evil my brother . There will always be the loyalist or audiophiles who want top notch sound . But the majority of the market doesn't really care about it . And when push comes to shove , the almighty dollar does , and will always win :)

adam71
01-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Money is the root of all evil my brother . There will always be the loyalist or audiophiles who want top notch sound . But the majority of the market doesn't really care about it . And when push comes to shove , the almighty dollar does , and will always win :)

That is why my CD collection is 600 and still climbing.

Flipx99
01-19-2007, 11:40 AM
You're not that much older than me. I never had a problem with cassettes and vhs going away. They were phased out by SUPERIOR formats being CD and DVD. I just don't see it happening with an inferior sounding format. If it does happen it will be a sad day to say the least. But atleast we know it won't happen anytime soon.

It really does not matter if the sound is superior or inferior. If the customer wants it, that's the way it will trend.

Hopefully, manufacturers will keep in mind us dinosaurs who still like CDs

Flipx99
01-19-2007, 11:40 AM
That is why my CD collection is 600 and still climbing.

Do you a lot of good if they quit making CD players.

ramos
01-19-2007, 11:44 AM
They will still make cd heads , they still make tape head units . I'm just saying I think the majority of manufacturers are gonna head into the "controller" syle head unit in the future , as it seems to be where the market is heading :)

AVSTANG02
01-19-2007, 11:45 AM
wow that is beautiful.

I want one.

I never use cds anyways just ipod and xm...

I definately prefer the sound a store purchased cd sounds tho...

Flipx99
01-19-2007, 11:46 AM
They will still make cd heads , they still make tape head units . I'm just saying I think the majority of manufacturers are gonna head into the "controller" syle head unit in the future , as it seems to be where the market is heading :)

I haven't looked in a while but I haven't seen any cassettes with as much processing power as CDs.

ramos
01-19-2007, 11:48 AM
I haven't looked in a while but I haven't seen any cassettes with as much processing power as CDs.

Not even close , I was just saying they still made them . But the majority of head units made are cd . IMO with the mp3 players and such , this is where I see the market heading . :)

adam71
01-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Do you a lot of good if they quit making CD players.

Who says I'm going to part with my existing CD players??:up2somet:

That would be a little redundant with cassette being an inferior and fast fading format now wouldn't it?? LOL

On a different note: What we all have forgotten to mention is what about the HOME AUDIO market? CDs aren't really that inconvenient in the home where space is not at such an issue. Home audio folks demand superior quality and I don't see that market EVER going to compressed audio as a main attraction.

Example, the new DVD formats offer a surround format that is superior to DTS and DD. It's called PCM 5.1. I.E. uncompressed surround sound. so that arena has actually gone in the opposite direction.

Scroder2
01-20-2007, 01:20 AM
That screen just looks way to small for the deck. Why the hell do the buttons take up 2/3 of the faceplate--kind of like some of the pioneers, which makes no sense to me

Dave

ooeygooey
01-20-2007, 01:45 AM
It'd be pretty neat if they put a HDD in it like the one pioneer touchscreen.. put like a 80 GB hard drive in it with a usb so you can hook up a flash drive and put it on that way, or connect to your computer wirelessly somehow and access windows media player or itunes; similar to the xbox 360 connecting to your pc(just throwin out ideas).

Team Hammer
01-20-2007, 03:24 AM
The market will start make units as expansion add-ons, This will allow the user the choice of what he wants. This way the Manufactor does not have to quess at what we want.

CD's will give way to DVD since the cost is the same, And DVD players can play CD's.

What you will start to see in a few years is HDCD's, Which as you know HDDVD's can hold 40gigs of information.

Team Hammer
01-20-2007, 03:38 AM
It'd be pretty neat if they put a HDD in it like the one pioneer touchscreen.. put like a 80 GB hard drive in it with a usb so you can hook up a flash drive and put it on that way, or connect to your computer wirelessly somehow and access windows media player or itunes; similar to the xbox 360 connecting to your pc(just throwin out ideas).

Alpine did that all ready with a 20gig HD. It never caught on.

They make Flash Drive breakout boxs that work on any HU.

You can use a laptop now with any USB device. That is one reason for that 2.0 Standard, So it will charge it.

The main reason I'm looking at a IPhone is its Wireless USB pluggin. But I'm not laying out $499.00 for a 4 gig phone.:up2somet:

zSnb
01-20-2007, 12:08 PM
Alpine did that all ready with a 20gig HD. It never caught on.

They make Flash Drive breakout boxs that work on any HU.

You can use a laptop now with any USB device. That is one reason for that 2.0 Standard, So it will charge it.

The main reason I'm looking at a IPhone is its Wireless USB pluggin. But I'm not laying out $499.00 for a 4 gig phone.:up2somet:

It never caught on because the unit was well over $1000. You can get an external hu/ or and iPod, and the great head unit with usb and save $500.

adam71
01-20-2007, 12:31 PM
What you will start to see in a few years is HDCD's, Which as you know HDDVD's can hold 40gigs of information.

HDCD is an encode/decode process which is used with CDs and has NOTHING to do with HD-DVD. Just an FYI.

HDCD has been around since '95. It was an attempt by audiophiles to improve the sound of CD while retaining backward compatibility with ALL cd players.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCD

ooeygooey
01-20-2007, 02:41 PM
I didnt know that, but i still think it sounds like a good idea with new technology and easier ways to transfer music. Or be able to remove the harddrive and have it connect to your pc with a hdmi or usb and be able to load movies, and music on it that way. whatcha think bout that? cause it IS possible

adam71
01-20-2007, 02:56 PM
I didnt know that, but i still think it sounds like a good idea with new technology and easier ways to transfer music. Or be able to remove the harddrive and have it connect to your pc with a hdmi or usb and be able to load movies, and music on it that way. whatcha think bout that? cause it IS possible

Well, anything is possible with enough storage space on disk. The thing is, will the mfgs make something like that?? If they don't see a need or demand for it they won't make it. Sad but true.

Team Hammer
02-03-2007, 07:52 AM
It never caught on because the unit was well over $1000. You can get an external hu/ or and iPod, and the great head unit with usb and save $500.

I got IPOD's now for the HU. What I was talking about was wireless.