PDA

View Full Version : (2) 15" BTL box w/pics

jeepintn
01-18-2007, 11:58 PM
sorry i only got a few pics, but for some reason my phone didnt save the in-progress pics i took or the ones i originally took when i finished, so i had to retake these to get them to save, i dont know what happened. anyways, its basicly done other than tomorrow im gonna take the router out and use the roundover bit and roundover all the edges of the box, i like how they look like that.

to make the box as big as i did and keep the port from being up against the tailgate, i had to side-fire the port out of the passenger side. i used some "rib style" bracing to keep the walls from flexing, and for the corners, HAHA, before anyone says anything, i didnt have a saw to cut 45 degree cuts to go in the corners, so i went to home depot and they have some treated lumber that had 45's on it already, its really a handrail for the top or a porch-rail or something, but hey, it does the job ;)

specs are:
3/4 in birch ply(although 40$ a sheet, i will never use MDF again ;))
8.5 after all displacements
123.75 sq or port
tuned to 32

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m30/jeepintn/BTLbox.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m30/jeepintn/BTLbox3.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m30/jeepintn/BTLbox4.jpg

j3bus2k3
01-19-2007, 12:01 AM
Those are the same 45*s that I've used in some of my boxes...

jeepintn
01-19-2007, 12:05 AM
Those are the same 45*s that I've used in some of my boxes...

haha, hey, without the saw to make them, i had to improvise, so if anyone else has that problem, go with the handrail LOL

mazdakid
01-19-2007, 12:06 AM
nice, why do you like it so much better than mdf?

jeepintn
01-19-2007, 12:07 AM

it cuts so much cleaner, it feels like it glues better and quicker, and the screws countersink a little easier to me. plus, its only about 1/2 the weight, maybe less

dkmesa
01-19-2007, 12:08 AM

+1

bdawson72
lighweight huh

jeepintn
lighweight huh

indeed

dkmesa
01-19-2007, 12:09 AM
it cuts so much cleaner, it feels like it glues better and quicker, and the screws countersink a little easier to me. plus, its only about 1/2 the weight, maybe less

Does sound better, the weight thing is a big plus. It looks like the cuts are worse though...

jeepintn
01-19-2007, 12:13 AM
Does sound better, the weight thing is a big plus. It looks like the cuts are worse though...

the only cuts i wasnt happy with were the ones i had home depot do so i could fit the sheets in my jeep to get them home. they use a slow speed panel saw with a rough bit on it, so those cute come out a little chippy, but it really is a better material IMO

Flipx99
01-19-2007, 12:21 AM
Looks good. I am real big on wiping up the glue so I can stain the boxes.

I used oak or birch, whichever is damaged so I can get cheap.

jeepintn
01-19-2007, 07:55 AM
Looks good. I am real big on wiping up the glue so I can stain the boxes.

I used oak or birch, whichever is damaged so I can get cheap.

i didnt realize that titebond started to dry so fast, i did wipe it up but after like 3 minutes it was getting dry, lol. but i just cover with carpet anyways so its not a big deal to me

rpfuror
01-19-2007, 09:00 AM
That box is hugh, are you going to finish it with carpet, stain, etc.. What are the specs?

jeepintn
01-19-2007, 04:15 PM
That box is hugh, are you going to finish it with carpet, stain, etc.. What are the specs?

read my first post for all of that info, and i will be covering it with carpet.

THUNDERBIRD
01-19-2007, 05:28 PM

that is normal with that type of board, kuz it is a laminated piece so it will split. nice box tho. i think i am gonna make one out of it for my a mid term, i am in basic woodworking so i am gonna use the dovetail connection and make it look sweet!

OneKrazyKeebler
01-19-2007, 06:11 PM
I hate it kuz I wasn't there to help build it :crap:

;)

jeepintn
01-19-2007, 08:52 PM
I hate it kuz I wasn't there to help build it :crap:

;)

heh, no one was :( i got some help from my roommate a little but thats all, the 90* angle clamps REALLY helped

9512ds
01-19-2007, 08:58 PM
what amp are you using now a days?

saywhat?
01-19-2007, 09:03 PM
first....why the uprights on the wall.......and why no double baffle. you waste space with those uprights that could have been put towards a double baffle and used all-thread for even bette bracing. OR triangle brance perpinduclar to the walls. ohwell. work looks good.

jeepintn
01-19-2007, 09:04 PM
what amp are you using now a days?

well, my xx-goliath isnt back from cia yet, he told me today, it has been tested, working, and to call him monday to get the tracking number because supposedly it will be sent out monday, so hopefully by next weekend i will have some vids ;)

smd4life
01-19-2007, 10:54 PM
wish i was there to help...but looks awesome

jeepintn
01-20-2007, 10:36 AM
wish i was there to help...but looks awesome

thanks, i know everyone wanted to help and i really appreciate it, but im impatient :naughty: so i went ahead and did it, plus, i think the TN meet has been changed to the meca show in Feb.

PV Audio
01-20-2007, 10:46 AM
I don't know why the hell people seem to think that birch is better, it's more expensive, has ZERO advantages (the weight of MDF is actually GOOD when reducing vibrations), and tends to chip very easily. I mean, you can do whatever you want, but frankly, you're just wasting your money on something that isn't going to make anything better.

baseballer1100
01-20-2007, 01:24 PM
Especially on a box that is going to be carpeted.

jeepintn
01-20-2007, 01:58 PM
I don't know why the hell people seem to think that birch is better, it's more expensive, has ZERO advantages (the weight of MDF is actually GOOD when reducing vibrations), and tends to chip very easily. I mean, you can do whatever you want, but frankly, you're just wasting your money on something that isn't going to make anything better.

and the weight of MDF is bad in an suv for gas mileage, i notice significant difference in my mpg when by system is in/out of the truck, so to me, lighter is to my advantage. plus, being a one man build team, the pieces are lighter and easier to handle when doing it yourself which is another big plus for me. and since it is my money, i dont consider it "wasting my money on something that isnt going to make anything better", when to me, the entire build process was made easier due to less sawdust/lighter pieces to work with.

hoodkid
01-20-2007, 02:04 PM
i also wonder why you didnt double baffle?

jeepintn
01-20-2007, 02:16 PM
well here are a couple more pics, got the corners all rounded off, just dropped the subs in to see how it will look, they will both face up, i just inverted one for the pics sake

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m30/jeepintn/CIMG0307.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m30/jeepintn/CIMG0304.jpg

baseballer1100
01-20-2007, 02:41 PM
Looks good.

jeepintn
01-20-2007, 02:48 PM
Looks good.

thanks man. its not perfect like many of yours are, but its the best i have done so far IMO.