PDA

View Full Version : My sealed box is leaking :(

teylix
01-17-2007, 07:01 PM
hey.. got a new sub box but it's leaking.. i got my subs in there (see sig) and it's just not hitting worth a god ****. i can see the subs moving like nobody's business but it's not making any sound or boom really.

so i put my hand over the "T" and i feel air leakin out.. turns out the guy put carpet over the block and tried sealin around it.. but pretty shoddy.

here's some pics

Sub box (http://www.theredspiral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47)

it was the guy's first try at something like that.. and he said he would make me another box if i cant get this one to work.

but i doubt i could fix it... it looks so great and flush in my car that i'm willing to try again... but im startin to think about ported.

think there's a way i could get a box like that ported?

if so... maybe i should just have the guy refund my money and try a box builder from this site? how much would it cost to have someone build me a ported enclosure like that? there's enough space

acold7dusta
01-17-2007, 07:03 PM
silicone, fiberglass, wood glue + saw dust ( or piece of wood)

MrSector9
01-17-2007, 07:04 PM
dependind, there is really no reason that you couldn't get a box like that ported. As for the leak just get some FG resin or some heavy silicone, take the speakers out and go in and fix all the leaks.

reneeb7363
01-17-2007, 07:05 PM
so it's not a sealed box :D

open it up and add some silicone.. or if ytour brave fiberglass a few layers inside.... no need to replace if it fits the appllication and its tuned right

edit:... dayum...beat me again

Chevyaudio
01-17-2007, 07:07 PM
I would actually stick to a sealed box...Those subs that you are running W6v2's LOVE sealed boxes, and sound very very good in a properly sealed box. Work on getting that one fixed.

ultimate157
the 3 cuts in the first pic arn't even close. I don't see why those other pieces of MDF are in there, other than some maybe cheap braces.

Try silicone first.

reneeb7363
and I thought we had some eeeediots in here

I wonder if I put a salad in the back of that trunk and it was in plastic container with sufficient space to move around. Would it toss that salad if played the right song? hah

B_Campbell
01-17-2007, 07:10 PM
You best be seekin

http://www.flashgames24.net/images/feb83f721f59456b03a9526b9a5b2269.jpg

teylix
01-17-2007, 07:10 PM
yeah those extra pieces are for bracing...

it's only 1/2" MDF on top =\

Immacomputer
01-17-2007, 08:34 PM
If the subs are moving and you're not getting much or any sound, I highly doubt it's from a small air leak. Try disconnecting one sub and see if it gets louder. If it does, the subs were wired out of phase from each other. Try this little/quick/easy experiment and see if it helps.

PV Audio
01-17-2007, 10:12 PM
^^ I was going to suggest the same thing, but those panels are sticking up in the first pic, and there's no way that it could be sealed tightly.

Immacomputer
01-17-2007, 10:28 PM
There's also no way to not get any sound at all from a slight air leak. I had an enclosure damaged by water and had a panel flapping in the wind in the back and yet the sub was still loud. Granted, it sounded like *** and you could hear the panel slapping but the bass was still very audible. I have also had enclosures with large holes in them and the bass was still present but sounded like ***.

"i can see the subs moving like nobody's business but it's not making any sound or boom really"

That statement SCREAMS wired out of phase. Slight air leaks will not cause this.

teylix
01-17-2007, 10:44 PM
ill try that .. but being wired out of phase would be kind of weird since theyre wired in parallel.

matrxx dude
01-17-2007, 10:51 PM
the 3 cuts in the first pic arn't even close. I don't see why those other pieces of MDF are in there, other than some maybe cheap braces.

Try silicone first.

what is expensive braces.lol;)

Immacomputer
01-17-2007, 10:53 PM
ill try that .. but being wired out of phase would be kind of weird since theyre wired in parallel.

No it wouldn't. Wired out of phase just means that the positive and negative wires for one sub were switched.

This picture is an example of two subs wired in parallel with their voice coils in parallel as well. They are also wired out of phase from each other:
http://www.IMGBoxUpload.net/upload/files/imagebox_1169089572_r33.png

creyc
01-17-2007, 10:54 PM
yea but parallel or not, out of phase is out of phase.

Just disconnect one and see if it gets better, like Immacomputer mentioned.

teylix
01-17-2007, 11:45 PM
the voice coils are in series..

but nice drawing =P

Immacomputer
01-18-2007, 12:18 AM
the voice coils are in series..

but nice drawing =P

On my drawing or your subs? Either way, phasing doesn't have anything to do with them being in series or parallel but how they are relative to each other and the amp terminal.

teylix
01-18-2007, 12:46 AM
on my subs.. im not a complete retard =P. i know it doesnt have to do with it being in series or parallel.. just if you got the positive to positive and negative to negative

PV Audio
01-18-2007, 08:32 AM
Like I said imma, it sounds like a phase issue, but it also has some box issues as well.

bangandow
01-18-2007, 03:48 PM
on my subs.. im not a complete retard =P. i know it doesnt have to do with it being in series or parallel.. just if you got the positive to positive and negative to negative

Or if you have one sub wired positive-->negative and the other negative-->positive, for instance.

Your subs are out of phase... that's your real problem. Get them wired correctly and then worry about a leaky box.