PDA

View Full Version : Sealing a box??

Kinalyx
01-17-2003, 03:54 PM
Im going to be making a pretty thin box for my 12" IDMAX, & mount it inverted. The problem is, no matter what, i wont be able to get sealant on 1 side of the box (front or back) as i wont be able to get a caulking gun into the box to get to the edges.

If i do all but the baffle, then use lots of sealant around the edges, will it seal it well enough??

Im thinknig about also using some liquid spray plastic. Someone used it on kick panels b4 & it sealed them up REALLY well. Just spray it in, & roll it around until all areas r sealed.

Any suggestions???

Savant
01-17-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Kinalyx
Im going to be making a pretty thin box for my 12" IDMAX, & mount it inverted. The problem is, no matter what, i wont be able to get sealant on 1 side of the box (front or back) as i wont be able to get a caulking gun into the box to get to the edges.

If i do all but the baffle, then use lots of sealant around the edges, will it seal it well enough??

Im thinknig about also using some liquid spray plastic. Someone used it on kick panels b4 & it sealed them up REALLY well. Just spray it in, & roll it around until all areas r sealed.

Any suggestions???

Can you reach all the corners with your hands? Just put some caulk on your fingers and spread it that way.. you don't have to have the gun in there to apply caulk.. If you can't reach all the edges with your hands.. hmm.. pretty odd box then, but hey.. if it works ;)

terifi
01-17-2003, 04:04 PM
thanks for the good idea, i had the same problem

evo2k3
01-17-2003, 04:24 PM
couple different options, stick a small flexable tube on the end of your gun if you really want to use the gun....put the caulk on your fingers, or fiberglass the seems (this is a really good way to seal anyways).

Trixter
01-17-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Savant
Can you reach all the corners with your hands? Just put some caulk on your fingers and spread it that way.. you don't have to have the gun in there to apply caulk.. If you can't reach all the edges with your hands.. hmm.. pretty odd box then, but hey.. if it works ;)

I alway like to finger the box too.

dbhittin
01-18-2003, 12:37 AM
dont be afraid to get some box *** on your hands, it wont hurt ya

paikiah
01-18-2003, 04:32 AM
Ok, this is no joke, ok?

when using your fingers to apply silicone, apply loads of saliva on the finger to use prior to handling it. Hey, I'm serious!!! Really, I am... water doesn't work, saliva does..i saw window panel experts do it, and hey, they use silicone all day long, so they know what they're doing...

Savant
01-18-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by paikiah
Ok, this is no joke, ok?

when using your fingers to apply silicone, apply loads of saliva on the finger to use prior to handling it. Hey, I'm serious!!! Really, I am... water doesn't work, saliva does..i saw window panel experts do it, and hey, they use silicone all day long, so they know what they're doing...

As badly as I want to use this for fun ;)

I have to agree.. I was caulking some wire lastnight and paikiah mentioned the spit thing to shape it if needed.. Not only was it caulk, it was tub and tile adhesive caulk (kinda gluish too).. the spit was GREAT.. little dabs kept the caulk from sticking to my fingers (must the the interaction of the chems in liquid silicone or something, it was slippery to the touch).. when I didn't have any spit on my fingers the adhesive caulk was .. well.. sticking :)

paikiah
01-19-2003, 07:39 PM
alright...finally someone believes me...:D

It worked for me, so that's why I wanted to share...

Oh, another word of advice for dumba$$es... don't **** on your fingers AFTER touching the sealant...doh~:p